Additional Synthetic Beneficiary Data is Available!

Lori Pettebone-Koraganie

Oct 20, 2021, 5:30:00 PM10/20/21
to Developer Group for CMS Blue Button API

Today we are proud to announce that additional synthetic data for Blue Button 2.0 is now available in the sandbox environment for your testing. This set of synthetic data was created in direct response to your feedback. Thank you for helping improve this resource for the Blue Button 2.0 user community.

This is a first release of about 10,000 new synthetic beneficiaries with more recent and realistic data. For example, this set of synthetic data contains:

  • More recent dates
  • Varied values for NPIs and ZIP Codes (e.g. not all "99999", though NPIs will not tie to real organizations or providers)
  • More realistic patient information (e.g. dates of birth that are in line with most Medicare beneficiaries)
  • More realistic clinical scenarios (e.g. prescriptions and procedures that make sense with given diagnoses)
  • All types of explanation of benefit (EOB) profiles production data can include, which is:

·       Carrier

·       Durable Medical Equipment (DME)

·       Home Health Aide (HHA)

·       Hospice

·       Inpatient

·       Outpatient

·       Part D Events (PDE)

·       Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF)

This set and the previous sets of synthetic data will remain unchanged so that you can rely on them for ongoing testing. That is, you can write tests against these data, and the underlying data will not change later and produce unexpected results. We plan to gather feedback from the developer community and use that to improve our synthetic data creation process for future releases, with the goal of eventually releasing new data at least quarterly. Future releases will only add new sets of beneficiaries, with enhanced data.

Ready to try out the synthetic data? Read the Synthetic data guide and check out our FAQ

We are interested in your questions and feedback so that we can improve the synthetic data for future releases! Please email B...@cms.hhs.gov.

The Blue Button 2.0 Team

Michael Rochlin

Jan 24, 2022, 12:01:19 PM1/24/22
to Developer Group for CMS Blue Button API
How do we authorize/authenticate with these beneficiaries? Or is there some other way that we should use this data?

Michael Rochlin

Jan 24, 2022, 6:52:12 PM1/24/22
to Developer Group for CMS Blue Button API
Figured it out. Looks like there are now users in the BBUser30000 -> 39998 range.

Michael Rochlin

Jan 24, 2022, 10:21:32 PM1/24/22
to Developer Group for CMS Blue Button API
Sorry to spam. It would be very useful to have a mapping from the BB users to the medicare ids as laid out in the synthetic sample overview.

Thanks for your great work