Blue Button API Data Pause for 2-4 Weeks Starting January 2, 2023

Developer Group for CMS Blue Button API

Dec 29, 2022, 7:00:34 PM12/29/22
to Developer Group for CMS Blue Button API

Hello Blue Button 2.0 Community,

Our upstream data partner’s final updated data load for 2022 will be processed this weekend (December 31, 2022 - January 1, 2023) and will be available on Tuesday, January 2, 2023. After January 2, weekly data updates will be paused for 2-4 weeks. We’ll update this thread when the pause ends and new data is available.

Why is this happening?

Our upstream data partner is completing a long-term effort to improve data sharing services and resolve historical year-end data issues that have impacted users in the past.

Questions or concerns?

Email us at bluebuttonapi @cms.hhs.gov or post a message here in the Google Group with any questions or concerns.

Thanks!

Blue Button 2.0 API Team

Developer Group for CMS Blue Button API

Feb 2, 2023, 2:56:44 PM2/2/23
to Developer Group for CMS Blue Button API

Hello Blue Button 2.0 Community,

Weekly data updates resumed

The Blue Button 2.0 API team is happy to announce that historical year-end data issues have been resolved. Weekly Medicare data updates have resumed flowing, starting today (2/2/2023).

Enhancements to data fields

Starting with today's update and going forward, we are providing additional data in version 2 (V2) of our API:

  • Claim Query Code: A code indicating the type of claim record being processed with respect to payment (debit/credit indicator; interim/final indicator). This data element appears as an extension in the EOB billablePeriod attribute.
    • Before: This data element has appeared in the Explanation of Benefit (EOB) resource for Inpatient, Outpatient and SNF claim types.
    • Now:  The Claim Query Code will also appear in the EOB resource for Hospice and HHA claim types.
  • Carrier Claim Billing NPI Number: The CMS National Provider Identifier (NPI) number assigned to the billing provider.
    • Before: Was not available in Blue Button 2.0 API.
    • Now: Available in Blue Button 2.0 API. This data element will appear in the Explanation of Benefit (EOB) resource for Carrier claims. This data element has been mapped into the EOB provider attribute.
  • Coverage Start and End Date: Dates indicating the start and end of Medicare coverage. Supplied in the Coverage resource in the period.start and period.end attributes.
    • Before: The start date was the earliest start date across all of a Medicare user's coverages (e.g. the earliest start date across their part A, B and D coverage). End date was not available.
    • Now: The start date for each individual coverage type (part A, B and D) is now available. If applicable, end date for each individual coverage type is also available.
  • Claim Diagnosis Related Group Code (DRG): Supplied in Inpatient and SNF claim types, in the eob.diagnosis.packageCode attribute.
    • Before: was 3 characters.
    • Now: 4 characters.

Questions or concerns?

Email us at BlueButtonAPI @cms.hhs.gov or reply here.