ExplanationOfBenefit FHIR R4 validation errors

Carole Corley

Nov 2, 2021, 11:32:51 AM11/2/21
to Developer Group for CMS Blue Button API

I am validating FHIR R4 ExplanationOfBenefit data from the v2 CMS Blue Button 2.0 API sandbox environment using the Python fhir.resources lib and am seeing the following errors:

entry -> 0 -> resource -> insurance -> 0 -> __root__ -> focal field required (type=value_error.missing)
entry -> 0 -> resource -> provider field required (type=value_error.missing)

I get one set of these for every ExplanationOfBenefit resource returned in a bundle (10 for user BBUser02001, for example).

Based on the profile:
http://hl7.org/fhir/us/carin-bb/STU1.1/StructureDefinition-C4BB-ExplanationOfBenefit-Professional-NonClinician.html
these appear to be valid errors, as the EOB data returned does not include an insurance focal value, e.g.:

"insurance": [ { "coverage": { "reference": "Coverage/part-b--19990000002002" } } ],

and the EOB data includes providers, but only at the CareTeam level, not at the ExplanationOfBenefits.provider level.

Any help clarifying this issue would be greatly appreciated!  Perhaps there are extensions governing these values that I have not found yet?

Carole Corley

Nov 11, 2021, 3:09:32 PM11/11/21
to Developer Group for CMS Blue Button API
I see that contributions to beneficiary-fhir-data are limited to those inside CMS.  However, this is fixed in my fork: https://github.com/ccorley/beneficiary-fhir-data/pull/1.  We need these changes to use a Blue Blutton client with LinuxForHealth, which does FHIR R4 validation as a part of its connect API, so I'll keep an eye out for changes to the Blue Button sandbox environment. Meanwhile we may need to run our own bfd server.