Video Quality - Ext4 file, not NTFS

hailma...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2018, 12:27:13 AM7/20/18
to DeVeDe forum
Hello again,
FYI, I created a 10GB ext4 partition for a 4.7 GB (non-adjusted size, ~97% full) DVD file and the debugging error stated too small as I later noticed that should be expected - surprised me at first.
Finally created a bigger (100 to 300 GB) ext4 partition and everything worked as it should, result Job done.
I kept the debugging report (it's very large) just in case there was a problem.  I have a problem, but it may be my ignorance of video files in general, etc.
The quality is bad. I removed some of the jitters with deinterlacing, (using preview to check and compare output) and I tried changing some variables in the settings and in my input file via changing settings in OpenShot but the video quality itself (ignoring the jitters, or with the jitters removed) is still much lower than the input, which is the Post-OpenShot product.  I noticed that 8,500 Kbits/sec is the maximum quality to set for the videos.  The original (pre-OpenShot) videos calculated (hopefully correct) were ~ 2,000 Kbits/sec but Post-OpenShot were ~ 20,000 Kbits/sec; I made them again in OpenShot and reduced the quality by 1/3 (from 15 MB to 5 MB) but it only reduced the Post-OpenShot Kbits/sec by 5 or 10 percent (still approximately 20,000 Kbits/sec.  The Post-OpenShot quantities are from the Devede program.  Based upon the original Pre-OpenShot videos, it seems as though 5,000 Kbits/sec should be more than sufficient, and I realize that the size of the input files (Post-Openshot or Openshot product entering Devede) is the only file that is really relevant.  Devede shows one of the files as close to 26,000 Kbits/sec.  Should the source files also be on and ext4 formatted file?  Any suggestions.
The debugging file is very large, I'll try to attach it.

Thank You again for the replies.
Devede Debugging Report_July14.odt

Sergio Costas

Jul 20, 2018, 4:18:55 AM7/20/18
to devede...@googlegroups.com
Hello:

First, try to use two-pass encoding. That should offer better results. Second, always remember that DVD is quite limited: its maximum resolution is 720x480 in NTSC or 720x576 in PAL, the maximum bitrate is, as you seen, 8500Kbits/sec, and can use only MPEG2.

An option is to store the videos from Openshot directly in MPEG2-PS format, and specify to Devede to not reconvert them (in Properties -> Misc -> This video is already in MPEG-PS format...). That way you can ensure that you keep the same quality than in Openshot. But remember that they must have a resolution of 720x480@60 or 720x576@50 (depending if you are using PAL or NTSC format), and have a bitrate lower than 8.5 Mbps.

The source files, in theory, can be in any filesystem, there is no need to use ext4 or simmilar. Only the destination needs to be in an ext4 partition.

El 20/07/18 a las 06:27, hailma...@gmail.com escribió:

Nos leemos
		         RASTER    (Linux user #228804)
ras...@rastersoft.com              http://www.rastersoft.com