Re: Sample T-shirts For Dev Camp 2011

Saager Mhatre

Mar 9, 2011, 2:37:10 AM3/9/11
to devcam...@googlegroups.com
[forwarded to the decamp-pune mailing list]

Mayank, while your designs are pretty good, the "don't mess with me" attitude doesn't really go with the theme of the event. The little blurb on DevCamp's Philosophy should give you an idea of what we're looking at. We tend to use the more classical implication of the term 'hacker', which is not quite the same as what nullcon uses.

Gautham, why don't you send Mayank the designs we've used for previous DevCamps as a reference? That might give him a better idea of the kind of audience we're looking at as well as some inspiration for a sign that works with our theme.

Oh, and I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd really prefer if we did these on white t-shirts.

- d

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Gautham H <hgau...@thoughtworks.com> wrote:
+1

Agree with you... Looks good for a collage fest event...

Any jazzy developer line anyone could think of ?

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Unnat Gupta <unn...@thoughtworks.com> wrote:
Hi Gautham and others,

Designs are good, my only concern is the text messages (both on front and back) are more suitable for a conference like NULCON and other hacking/networking related stuff. I am not sure if they are suitable for dev camp.

Unnat

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 6:20 AM, Gautham H <hgau...@thoughtworks.com> wrote:

A volunteer by the name Mayank, approached me for designing the T shirts.

Here are a set of them he made...

Let me know what you guys think

Mar 9, 2011, 6:17:36 AM3/9/11
to devcam...@googlegroups.com
Mayank, another thing is that we should work in the DevCamp Logo (http://devcamp.in/images/devcamp.png) into the design as well.

- dexterous

Mayank Jain

Mar 9, 2011, 12:31:31 PM3/9/11
to DevCamp Pune
Hi,
Thanks for your feedback. The PSD I got of the logo, Was not in proper
layers. I couldn't extract the fire-hammer logo properly from it. I'll
re-work the logo to include it.
Honestly, the idea was not from nullcon or anything (no organziation
would accept it unless they are black hats :p)
I was not told of any particular theme as such, and the last year
TShirt I saw was a bit too simple (White TShirt with the Logo). I knew
from the start it was a bit too wacky :)

I'll think of something better, if you guys have any ideas on it or
any quotes that may suit it, let me know.
Cheers.

Saager Mhatre

Mar 9, 2011, 12:45:42 PM3/9/11
to devcam...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:01 PM, Mayank Jain <fires...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for your feedback. The PSD I got of the logo, Was not in proper layers. I couldn't extract the fire-hammer logo properly from it. I'll re-work the logo to include it.

The logo's fairly simple, it's just the BarCamp flame with the silhouette of a hammer in it.
I linked you to the PNG hosted on the wiki; if you want, I can hunt the original source.

Honestly, the idea was not from nullcon or anything (no organziation would accept it unless they are black hats :p)
I was not told of any particular theme as such, and the last year TShirt I saw was a bit too simple (White TShirt with the Logo). I knew from the start it was a bit too wacky :)

Well, being as we are an unconference, there's no theme for individual events; just the overall theme of software (code) and the construction thereof (hacking). Logos of prior events have been fairly similar and wacky because, well, we put them up quickly and didn't really invite designers to the table, our bad!

I'll think of something better, if you guys have any ideas on it or any quotes that may suit it, let me know.
Cheers.

- dexterous

Saager Mhatre

Mar 9, 2011, 12:59:36 PM3/9/11
to devcam...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:15 PM, Saager Mhatre <saager...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:01 PM, Mayank Jain <fires...@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

I was not told of any particular theme as such, and the last year TShirt I saw was a bit too simple (White TShirt with the Logo). I knew from the start it was a bit too wacky :)

Well, being as we are an unconference, there's no theme for individual events; just the overall theme of software (code) and the construction thereof (hacking). Logos of prior events have been fairly similar and wacky because, well, we put them up quickly and didn't really invite designers to the table, our bad!

I'll think of something better, if you guys have any ideas on it or any quotes that may suit it, let me know.
Cheers.

Now that we've said that, I'd like to invite any other creatively inclined people to send in designs, design ideas or taglines for the event!

We've already done 'For the Hacker, By the Hacker, Of the Hacker' for DevCamp B'lore Apr 2010, DevCamp Pune 2010 didn't have a tagline. I know we had a clever one about chai for DevCamp Bangalore Sep 2010, but I can't seem to find my t-shirt; probably out for a wash. Could anyone who was at that event post the tagline?

- dexterous

Sidu Ponnappa

Mar 10, 2011, 3:37:45 AM3/10/11
to devcam...@googlegroups.com
> Could anyone who was at that event post the tagline?
"I love the smell of fresh code in the morning" IIRC.

Cheers,
Sidu.
C42 Engineering.
w: http://c42.in

Saager Mhatre

Mar 10, 2011, 4:16:29 AM3/10/11
to devcam...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Sidu Ponnappa <si...@c42.in> wrote:
> Could anyone who was at that event post the tagline?
"I love the smell of fresh code in the morning" IIRC.

ah, yes! that with a refreshing cup'pa tea below it!

- dexterous

Gautham H

Mar 10, 2011, 4:19:00 AM3/10/11
to devcam...@googlegroups.com, Saager Mhatre
This line was already used the previous camp .... : /

Saager Mhatre

Mar 10, 2011, 4:21:14 AM3/10/11
to devcam...@googlegroups.com
yes daa! sidu was responding to my question about what the tagline for devcamp b'lore sep 2010 was.

Gautham H

Mar 10, 2011, 4:25:54 AM3/10/11
to devcam...@googlegroups.com, Saager Mhatre
haha .. sorry :)

Mayank Jain

Mar 10, 2011, 2:20:08 PM3/10/11
to DevCamp Pune
Pheww. Done.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110741074983490932042/DecCampPune2011TShirts?authkey=Gv1sRgCO2znIas6ZbFgAE&feat=directlink

Guys Check out the sample and let me know if you like it or not.
Latest Sample is the devfine:hacker.
Give your comments and views.... Any feedback is appreciated.
Cheers.

Mayank Jain

Mar 10, 2011, 2:21:53 PM3/10/11
to DevCamp Pune
Note On the devfine:hacker sample
The shooting star is kept purposely under "dev"fine : hacker line, to
highlight its a dev camp definition.
The layout and style can be changed or modified, but just tell me if
the look, quote and the feel given suits to the devcamp.
Cheers.

Vatsala Dorairajan

Mar 10, 2011, 2:48:32 PM3/10/11
to devcam...@googlegroups.com
First,  A big hi to everyone.

Coming back to the comments, I like 1,4 and 6 because the letterings "We are the....", "Don't mess with me,Man" and "devfine:..." are well placed.

The colors of the dev camp logo dont seem to be coming out clearly on the black background, i feel.  may be it looks that way on screen. Is it possible to readjust the colors of the letters "DevCamp Pune 2011" ?
vatsala

Vatsala Dorairajan

Mar 10, 2011, 9:12:20 PM3/10/11
to devcam...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys
Saw this email just now,
My feedback :-
a) the quote seems to be ok
b) the overall feel of the T Shirt (front and back put together) is fine

In summary, all seems to be ok, the Color of the "Dev<hammer_symbol>Camp Pune 2011" could be better, on a black back ground the dark pink and the orange are not coming out well. I am not picky about the fonts used, i leave it open to you guys to use any font, its only the colors that i feel are slightly not good.
If we use a white T Shirt, then the existing Colors will fit in just fine. Just that the current background(Black) and the current colors(dark pink and orange) do not seem to sync - i.e. the logo and letters dont stand out against this background.

my 2 paise :)
vatsala

Baishampayan Ghose

Mar 10, 2011, 9:28:35 PM3/10/11
to devcam...@googlegroups.com, Mayank Jain

My highly opinionated and personal opinion -

I hate all the designs. Just from a design PoV, they look ugly (the
fonts are not readable). On the other hand, I don't like the
condescending attitude in the T'Shirts at all. Hackers are not mean
people. Why all the warnings, etc? Why should people be scared of us?
Someone who thinks along these lines clearly doesn't understand what
this is all about.

It's time we got a bit more mature about these things; people's
perception about hackers is already incorrect, let's not tarnish it
any more by such messages on T'Shirts.

Regards,
BG

--
Baishampayan Ghose
b.ghose at gmail.com

Hemanth

Mar 10, 2011, 10:02:13 PM3/10/11
to devcam...@googlegroups.com
I second Baishampayan's opinion.
They sound just too loud and wannabe-ish.

I know, I may not be helping here but, that's my honest opinion.

Mayank Jain

Mar 10, 2011, 11:38:18 PM3/10/11
to DevCamp Pune
Thanks Guys for your feedback.
As for the colors, i'll work on it, maybe with on a White T-Shirt it
will turn out better. Also, i'll put a higher res image, maybe that
will make it more clearer how it will look as I realized with the psd
and the jpeg I am uploading are slightly different.

Also, please note that, Those warning and Don't mess with me T-Shirts
was an experiment T-Shirt, at that time I was not told of what type of
T-Shirt was expected, NOR I had the older T-Shirt like the one with
the "Chai Quote".

devfine:hacker is certainly not a -ve quote. It was just to highlight
the hammer in the DevCamp Logo.
I'll try coming up with a +ve quote for T-Shirt.
Cheers...

Mayank Jain

Mar 13, 2011, 4:55:25 PM3/13/11
to DevCamp Pune
Hi,
Here's the revamped T-Shirt.
https://picasaweb.google.com/110741074983490932042/DevCamp2011SampleTShirts?authkey=Gv1sRgCIC9tN3ysJqIKQ&feat=directlink

Check it out. Hope I get a +ve feedback from this ;)
Ah and yes, please view in FullScreen and pause the slideshow. It
makes a lot of difference in terms of clarity if you view it in
FullScreen and otherwise.

Cheers.

Ketan Khairnar

Mar 14, 2011, 1:04:19 AM3/14/11
to devcam...@googlegroups.com
Have you seen this page http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
Lot of people do recognize this image too  http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/glider.png

how about this zen poem and above mentioned hacker emblem at the back and devcamp logo in the front

 To follow the path:
    look to the master,
    follow the master,
    walk with the master,
    see through the master,
    become the master.

Imran Maniyar

Mar 14, 2011, 1:20:43 AM3/14/11
to devcam...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mayank,

Nice quotes and prints, especially the one about Hacking to Learn.

I was thinking of the quote "Coders of the world, Ignite!"

rgds

Mayank Jain

Mar 14, 2011, 2:02:46 PM3/14/11
to DevCamp Pune
Thanks for the feedback. I will work on them and post them when done.
Cheers