[Python-Dev] PyPy on PySide6 is there: PyPy with a Gui

Christian Tismer-Sperling

Feb 3, 2022, 7:26:12 AM2/3/22
to python-dev
Hi Guido et. al.,

since May 2021 I have been working at running PyPy on PySide6,
which was a difficult undertaking, since PyPy internally is quite
a bit different.

I declared the project to be ready-to-use when the Mandelbrot
example of the PySide examples
(examples/corelib/threads/mandelbrot.py)
is working.

This was finally solved this week on 2022-02-01, so we have the

first advanced Gui working with PyPy

and with the amazing result of speed:

PyPy 3.8 works
10 times faster than the identical code on Python 3.10
and
5.5 times slower than the same example in C++ Qt.

I think to send an official announce when this is available on pip.

This effort marks the completion of my PyPy support, which began
in 2003 and ended involuntarily in 2006 due to a stroke.

All the best -- Chris
--
Christian Tismer-Sperling :^) tis...@stackless.com
Software Consulting : http://www.stackless.com/

Christopher Barker

Feb 4, 2022, 2:52:43 AM2/4/22
to Christian Tismer-Sperling, python-dev
This is very cool Chris -- thanks!

One question:

and with the amazing result of speed:

PyPy 3.8 works
     10 times faster than the identical code on Python 3.10
and
     5.5 times slower than the same example in C++ Qt.

Is this primarily Python-QT interaction? or computing the mandelbrot set, for which I would expect to see performance numbers like that.

Anyway, really cool in any case -- a major step for PyPy.

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, PhD (Chris)

Python Language Consulting
  - Teaching
  - Scientific Software Development
  - Desktop GUI and Web Development
  - wxPython, numpy, scipy, Cython

Christian Tismer-Sperling

Feb 4, 2022, 5:25:06 AM2/4/22
to Christopher Barker, python-dev
On 04.02.22 08:52, Christopher Barker wrote:
> This is very cool Chris -- thanks!
>
> One question:
>
> and with the amazing result of speed:
>
> PyPy 3.8 works
>      10 times faster than the identical code on Python 3.10
> and
>      5.5 times slower than the same example in C++ Qt.
>

> Is this primarily Python-QT interaction? or computing the mandelbrot
> set, for which I would expect to see performance numbers like that.

This is purely the calculation speed of Mandelbrot, run in a Gui,
with the working horse being Python vs. PyPy. Qt only acts as
painter after each generation or when zooming.

Since the numbers for a pure Qt application were interesting too,
this was also given. But the showcase was "look ma, how fast it
is, and it works in a nice Gui".

> Anyway, really cool in any case -- a major step for PyPy.

Yes, I think so, too. The existence of a Gui for PyPy
might create much interest for both projects.

Cheers - Chris

--
Christian Tismer-Sperling :^) tis...@stackless.com
Software Consulting : http://www.stackless.com/
Strandstraße 37 : https://github.com/PySide
24217 Schönberg : GPG key -> 0xFB7BEE0E
phone +49 173 24 18 776 fax +49 (30) 700143-0023

Guido van Rossum

Feb 4, 2022, 8:14:50 PM2/4/22
to Christian Tismer-Sperling, python-dev
Congrats Christian! It sounds like this will open new avenues for PyPy (and maybe also for Qt/PySide6).

--Guido
--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)