Fwd: apt-get and its package_module

Nick Anderson

Aug 27, 2018, 3:31:06 PM8/27/18
to dev-cfengine

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Stefan Skoglund <stefan....@agj.net>
Date: Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 10:29 AM
Subject: apt-get and its package_module
To: debian-team NT <debia...@northern.tech>

I have a problem there utf-8 characters inside of listbugs/ignore_bugs breaks apt-listbugs  (it is ruby which doesn't like utf-8 characters if running inside the C locale.)

I see in the package_module that apt-get is run inside the C locale.

Can it be changed to the 'C.utf-8' locale instead ?

This current stretch and buster.

Kristian Amlie

Aug 27, 2018, 3:38:03 PM8/27/18
to Nick Anderson, dev-cfengine
Probably it can. I'm not involved in its development anymore, but Nick,
if you wanna give it a shot, just change the LC_ALL definition in the
apt_get package module, and make sure all the package tests are run,
including the unsafe ones.

--
Kristian

signature.asc

Nick Anderson

Aug 27, 2018, 3:58:24 PM8/27/18
to Kristian Amlie, dev-cfengine
Do you know the reasoning behind the setting to begin with?

Kristian Amlie

Aug 28, 2018, 3:08:06 AM8/28/18
On 27/08/18 21:58, Nick Anderson wrote:
> Do you know the reasoning behind the setting to begin with?

IIRC, I think it misbehaved in some way, or at least printed a lot of
errors if the locale was set to some foreign language.

--
Kristian
signature.asc

Vratislav Podzimek

Aug 28, 2018, 4:22:15 AM8/28/18
to dev-cf...@googlegroups.com
I would be careful about this locale because it may not be available on the
older (versions of) distros.

Just my two cents...

--
Vratislav

signature.asc

stef...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2018, 8:24:26 PM8/29/18
to dev-cfengine
It is I who sent that question to debian-team.

I have an habit of inserting utf-8 characters inside ignore_bugs (fel är  rapport...)
Which makes ruby in the LANG=C locale 'misbehave'  . It basically doesn't permit
non-USASCII characters with that locale.
The apt-listbugs maintainer recommended to work around it by using C.UTF-8.

Nick Anderson

Aug 29, 2018, 8:43:46 PM8/29/18
to stef...@gmail.com, dev-cfengine
Have you tried making that change in your environment?