Re: Cfengine Community Wiki

Nick Anderson

Jan 3, 2017, 12:13:11 PM1/3/17
to Neil Watson, Steven Kreuzer, communityad...@cfengine.com, dev-cfengine
Yes, I think it's quite similar to Jiras.

Instead of adding another tool into the mix I think  it might be better to store this information in the repositories.

Adding dev-cfengine list to the discussion as you are citing reference information that is useful mostly when developing for cfengine.

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Neil Watson <ne...@watson-wilson.ca> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 09:53:39AM -0500, Steven Kreuzer wrote:
I was wondering if Mender would be willing to host an install of
confluence for Cfengine so that the community would have a place to

Doesn't Confluence have its own unique syntax and editor, leading to
editing headaches and content lockin?

--
Neil Watson
Linux/UNIX Consultant

Steven Kreuzer

Jan 3, 2017, 2:26:06 PM1/3/17
to Nick Anderson, Neil Watson, communityad...@cfengine.com, dev-cfengine
On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 12:13 PM, Nick Anderson
<nick.a...@cfengine.com> wrote:
> Yes, I think it's quite similar to Jiras.
>
> Instead of adding another tool into the mix I think it might be better to
> store this information in the repositories.

I thought about just having everything in a git repo but I think
having a place where you can just click edit and paste the contents
of the file might make it easy enough to contribute.

However, this is a single use case so I could be convinced either way
but it still feels like it makes sense to have an official wiki
which can be used as a resource by the community to share tips and
tricks that might not make sense to add to the official
documentation.

Neil Watson

Jan 3, 2017, 2:31:24 PM1/3/17
to dev-cfengine
Github wikis are wikis and repos. You can edit them both ways.

--
Neil H Watson @neil_h_watson
CFEngine reporting: https://github.com/neilhwatson/delta_reporting

Steven Kreuzer

Jan 4, 2017, 9:28:45 AM1/4/17
to Neil Watson, dev-cfengine
On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Neil Watson <cfen...@watson-wilson.ca> wrote:
> Github wikis are wikis and repos. You can edit them both ways.

Works for me. I just added a page to start collecting these things

https://github.com/cfengine/core/wiki/ReferenceFiles

Nick Anderson

Jan 4, 2017, 9:49:07 AM1/4/17
to dev-cfengine, cfen...@watson-wilson.ca, skre...@freebsd.org
I just added on to it.

Eystein Måløy Stenberg

Jan 4, 2017, 12:27:54 PM1/4/17
to dev-cf...@googlegroups.com
This is a nice initiative.

One thing that is important in order for this to survive long-term while
people still being able to use it is to properly plan and maintain the
information architecture (aka "where to put stuff").

Any takers for owning this wiki in terms of maintaining the information
architecture (documenting and reminding people where to put specific
sections)?
> <https://github.com/cfengine/core/wiki/ReferenceFiles>
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dev-cfengine/c4355c5c-54a5-4bee-9d2e-4fe7904094b2%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dev-cfengine/c4355c5c-54a5-4bee-9d2e-4fe7904094b2%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Eystein

Nick Anderson

Jan 4, 2017, 12:34:24 PM1/4/17
to dev-cfengine
I nominate Steven.

Steven Kreuzer

Jan 4, 2017, 2:09:36 PM1/4/17
to Nick Anderson, dev-cfengine
On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 12:34 PM, Nick Anderson
<nick.a...@cfengine.com> wrote:
> I nominate Steven.

Sure, I can keep an eye on things and if this gains enough traction we
can come up with some guidelines on what goes where