sudden onset of extreme performance documented

j...@oxaero.com

May 1, 2010, 9:34:06 PM5/1/10
to Deturbulator Google Group

You may be interested in a video snippet of a sudden onset of deturbulator performance.  Click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk-FV9zM2vQ for the YouTube video.  Below is the flight path when the event occurred:

PerformanceOnsetAt52kt.gif

Often, deturbulator performance occurs suddenly when approaching specific performance speeds.  As I was slowing from 62 kts, the performance switched on at 52 kts.  This is evident from the unusual behavior of the aircraft as shown in the video snippet.  As the airspeed approached 52 kts, the nose pitched down significantly, the sink rate went from 4.5 kts to 1 kt and the altitude jumped 29 ft, all while holding 52 kts constant.  The nose pitching down indicates a sudden attempted increase in the lift force which was maintained equal to the glider weight by decreasing the AOA.  These events occur regularly, although instances of extreme performance often start gradually.  The improved performance can be seen by the flatter flight path after the onset of improved performance.  When I allowed the airspeed to increase a loss of performance suddenly occurred as you can see in the image.

Jim Hendrix

image001.gif