Boundary-Flow Probe Construction

1 view

j...@oxaero.com

Sep 27, 2012, 4:57:59 PM9/27/12
to Jari Hyvärinen, Deturbulator Participants, Roy Arnold, Nathan Murray
Jari,

Here is an image of my first boundary-flow probe under construction. The tubes are drying in a bed of epoxy glue. The tube OD is .065", wall thickness is .005". So, the ID is .055" which is 85% of the OD. The plastic tubing has a wall thickness of .035", so the center to center spacing at the business end is .100". This is side A. Side B will have the same arrangement, but with the tubes staggered between those on side A. This gives maximum resolution of .050" height levels with the lowest tube centered .0325" above the wing surface.

I am building two of these, so I can take data simultaneously from two span stations that are say 8" apart, one with the leading edge taped and one w/o.

I spoke today with another Standard Cirrus owner who will be installing the lower surface tape. He seems serious about getting more than anecdotal evidence.

Jim

photo.JPG