The end of Southfield Pickup

Zeezus

Aug 7, 2018, 5:37:14 PM8/7/18
to Southfield and Metro Detroit Ultimate
Hello there Active and Inactive members!!

It's been a long time coming, but here it is. Southfield pickup has been going on since before I even joined the group in 2007, and existed well beyond that as well. The pickup games have always been a great place for Masters, club, college, and anyone just looking to learn the game from swell folks to just come in, get some reps, and socialize afterwards. I have always and still believe that a solid Monday game had some of if not the best play in the area, that focused on quality games, abiding by the rules of the game, teaching players what the club level mentality feels like, all the while still catering to the casual player that didn't want to compete but still wanted to be good at something. It's honestly what I desire from the pickup community and wish was more visible in other places.

However, in the last several years, the group that would normally get 7s with subs went down to 7s, then sporadic 7s, until ultimately what we have now which is a max of 6s, and a consistent attendance of just 6 people total per week. Which, considering our member count of 350+ people, is a pretty poor turnout.

I'm not sure what happened, whether the disbanding of the master's teams, or the fact that Michigan ultimate talent rarely stays in Michigan, or the fact that people just don't live in the area anymore, or some other hidden thought that was never vocalized; but the reality is that something needs to change. And something will starting with this message.

I personally do not consider myself to be the leader of this group, or the organizer, and have stated on numerous occasions that anyone can call games or take the reigns. But no one has and people still call this my group. So here it is from the "leader" of Southfield pickup:

This group and Southfield pickup will cease to exist once DST hits. I will delete the facebook group, the google group email, and remove our group from websites that give traveling players a hub to find ultimate games (pickupultimate.com for example). I've said this numerous times in the past that we have too many pickup games and am being the change I wish to see in the community by removing this one.

So what does that mean for you all?
Well that's up to you. If you're looking for pickup still you can join:
- Firefighters in Troy on Tuesday/Thursdays
- Ferndale on Mondays
- Dearborn on Tuesdays at Stout Middle School
- random pickup games throughout the area that are super duper casual and lower play that Ferndale minus the super sporadic Detroit pickup games that I haven't seen a post for since last year.

Anyone is more than welcome to take advantage of this window before I shut down all contact points to try and get some games going. Or do as you have and just do nothing, since nothing really needs to be done.

If you want access to any of the three games in the area just comment here and someone will give you the deets.

Otherwise best of health to all of you, and maybe I'll see a handful of you on the fields at some point.

Note:
If you actually value my opinion, the only games I can think of that showcase the same level of play as the pickup I use to adore are the competitive league games in Ann Arbor that are sponsored by Ann Arbor ultimate. If you are willing to drive and are looking for quality games that would be my recommendation. Otherwise Dearborn would be my next recommendation followed by Tuesdays at Firefighters.

Z out

Marc Zigterman

Aug 7, 2018, 5:55:06 PM8/7/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks YZ.

OZ
--
We will always be on the fields south of the library. Also known as the Southfield Civic Center.
If you ever see an event going on at said fields we are at Birney Middle School at 11 Mile and evergreen just up the road; on the fields that are adjacent to Evergreen.

Jonathan Serra

Daniel Soper

Aug 7, 2018, 6:55:00 PM8/7/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, was one of my favorite games. Not sure what happened. Bummer that it’s not an option... even if I have limited time to play

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Southfield Ultimate (inactive)" group.

Sven Gustafson

Aug 7, 2018, 9:26:22 PM8/7/18
to Detroit Ultimate
Peace out, y'all. Wish I could play more, but life intervenes.

Sven

John Abela

Aug 7, 2018, 9:29:08 PM8/7/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com
I will miss you all. We bought the condo and it ate up my schedule this summer. Maybe in a few years we can throw a masters team together since the 'young guys' are all getting up there!

dmcc...@webmail.us

Aug 8, 2018, 12:09:08 PM8/8/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com, Southfield and Metro Detroit Ultimate

I'm sorry to hear this, but completely understand the reasoning behind it.  I started playing in Southfield in 1991, usually twice and often three times a week (yes, we had weekend club practices).  I know Chuck Milliken had various versions of "Molten Plastic Truck Disaster" playing out of Southfield since probably the mid-80s, if not before. Chuck, care to chime in?

Southfield became too far to drive when we moved to Canton, and Ann Arbor is closer. Plus I'm 99% retired, after almost 30 years in the game. I will say some of my best memories in life are from that field and all my frisbee friends who played there.

Thanks to those who kept the beat alive after Chuck and I moved on, as everyone eventually does.

Dave McCreedy

P.S. I traded in my cleats for a racing sailboat. (The wind awareness translates nicely!)  If anyone is interesting in exploring that same transition, email me at dmcc...@webmail.us.

Jeff Schropp

Aug 8, 2018, 12:17:22 PM8/8/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com

I know I have not played at Southfield in probably 3-4 years (shoulder surgery – too many layouts).  I enjoyed playing with this group very much!  There was usually someone old and slow (like me) for me to guard.  J  For health & fitness reasons, I am trying to play with the Firefighters group once a week.  I always told people what a great workout Ultimate is.  I wish everyone the best and hope to huck with you again someday!

Heyman

Aug 8, 2018, 1:13:19 PM8/8/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com
I may be old, but I'm slow.  Wait, I was already that way in my early 40s, during the Suburban Sprawl years.  Now that I'm more than halfway through my 60s, it crosses my mind that maybe I should throw my old cleats in the car and stop by on my way home.  Then I go home anyway and head out to swim laps in the evening instead.

This pick up game was going Tuesdays and Thursdays from the early 1980s.  Sueanne and I tried to play at least once a week starting in about 1983.  If you ask Bill Phillips, Tom Meshew or Pete Staples they might tell you people were playing there even earlier, like the late 1970s.

Completely understandable, from my point of view.

It's been at least 4 years since I tried to play.  I was pretty much ignored by younger players.  Don't blame them a bit.  If you can't get open, don't expect someone to throw to you.  I made one wily-old-veteran defensive play and turned it into a score, but that was the extent of my handling the disc that day.

There are lots of other opportunities around the area, including DUFL (why in the hell they thought an "F" word was necessary, I'll never understand) in Detroit.

Peace, Love, and Ultimate to all.

Bob Huston

We will always be on the fields south of the library. Also known as the Southfield Civic Center.
If you ever see an event going on at said fields we are at Birney Middle School at 11 Mile and evergreen just up the road; on the fields that are adjacent to Evergreen.
---

Lois, Bernadette (B.)

Aug 8, 2018, 1:18:48 PM8/8/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com

Sad.. end of an area.

I played back in the day with Pat Barrow, Bart Heldke, McCreedy, and some of the other Masters age players. Nostalgia.

I can no longer play, as I shattered my ankle a few years back.

All the best to those who continue on..

Cheers,

-          Bernadette.

Thanks,

Bernadette Lois
FPS Manager, North America - ATO
PEDM, 1315D.

c: 734-377-4272

We will always be on the fields south of the library. Also known as the Southfield Civic Center.
If you ever see an event going on at said fields we are at Birney Middle School at 11 Mile and evergreen just up the road; on the fields that are adjacent to Evergreen.
---

We will always be on the fields south of the library. Also known as the Southfield Civic Center.
If you ever see an event going on at said fields we are at Birney Middle School at 11 Mile and evergreen just up the road; on the fields that are adjacent to Evergreen.
---

Andrew Koper

Aug 8, 2018, 1:42:56 PM8/8/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com
Let's recognize Marc Landau in this eulogy, too.  I'd say he was a driving force behind Southfield Ultimate for years, years ago, when I discovered it.  It had a great culture and was a lot of fun.

Chuck McKenna

Aug 8, 2018, 2:48:55 PM8/8/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com
I first played in Southfield in 1992.  Marc Landau said "I like you.  You run fast, are tall, and catch the disc"  We had a 70 yard sprint the length of the field at the end of the game which I won.... mostly because I was dogging it during the game while everybody else was busting it .....which is pretty much the story of my Ultimate career.

And that's my "Deep Thoughts" memorial to the Southfield Game. It would be great if it makes a miraculous recovery... otherwise RIP Southfield Ultimate Pickup Game.

RIP

Jonathan Serra

[...]

Daniel Soper

Aug 10, 2018, 8:21:14 AM8/10/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com
It’s a shame to see that all these great stories are coming to an end. It really takes a good core of people and a welcoming environment to keep things going. I’m not placing blame on you z,you put a lot of energy into the game and I thank you for that.
But I witnessed several new comers being ridiculed for not knowing the game. Hard to bring in new talent in that atmosphere. Just my two cents. Teach your children and love them and they will multiply in goodness.

Daniel Soper

Aug 10, 2018, 8:32:32 AM8/10/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com
Dereck Stottlemyer did a great job as well.he was always a great welcoming committee. I’m especially bummed because I was hoping to bring my little one out there next year like Cole and Derek used to. I remember moving here from Cali and having people complain about the shape of the field, about laughed my ass off. Met a lot of friends on that field

Tom Leone

Aug 10, 2018, 8:59:50 AM8/10/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com
I have a lot of great memories from Southfield, especially the Nasty Poodle team that went to Regionals in 2000 (Marc Landau, Derek Stottlemyer, Lloyd Klusendorf, Sanjay Mehta, Jason Wilson, Dave McCreedy, and others).  Also who could forget Dave Dulberg, Mike Cooper, and Pat Prendergast?

We have a very welcoming atmosphere in Dearborn, although the level of play isn't as competitive as Southfield.  Come join us on Tuesday evenings:

We will always be on the fields south of the library. Also known as the Southfield Civic Center.
If you ever see an event going on at said fields we are at Birney Middle School at 11 Mile and evergreen just up the road; on the fields that are adjacent to Evergreen.
---
ult.reg2000.team3.jpg

Andrew Koper

Aug 10, 2018, 12:06:20 PM8/10/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com

1)  If not enough people come out, its completely reasonable to call it   2) A big “thank you” to Marc Landau who seemed to be the driving force for years, years ago, when I discovered it.  Great culture.  A lot of fun.

Marc Zigterman

Aug 10, 2018, 12:12:19 PM8/10/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com
So is someone going to plan a wake?

MZ

Uzoma Okeke

Aug 10, 2018, 12:19:41 PM8/10/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com
I can honestly say that the only people I've ever seen ridiculed for not knowing the game were people who would complain about not getting enough touches yet weren't willing to learn how to get open, and my friend who I personally ridiculed for running his mouth, denying that he made mistakes or was at fault for any of his personal errors, and wasted my time trying to teach him the game as he himself later indicated that he wanted my tips but didn't want to take it seriously enough to improve. These incidents are few and far in-between in all honesty. But I also haven't attended as regularly as I did in the past so maybe it was happening when I was either on the field or just not there? :shrugs:

I'd also like to state that nothing I said above is new. Southfield has always had heckling and passion towards a quality game. And when I first started playing here in 2007 I distinctly recall Coop and sometimes Derek yelling at me telling me what to do until I reached a level of knowledge where that was no longer necessary. And that was during a time where we had enough subs to the point that we started creating teams since we didn't have enough space to run two full games.

But in all honesty, I am a fan of open dialogue. If the language or atmosphere of the pickup area isn't to your liking, but you are passionate or vocal enough to want that to change, it only takes an email, a text, a DM, to make it known that this is an issue and to get it resolved. The fact that I'm just now even hearing about new blood being ridiculed, after the game is being cancelled, is just one of many examples of things that could have been addressed during the moment that were simply swept under the rug.

Side note: I will never forget the greatest play I have ever witnessed in Ultimate.
Coop had the disc with my team's endzone behind him. I had him at a high stall. He then just hands me, the rookie, the disc around stall 8 and begins to stall count me. No one on my team or his knew what to do, and at a high stall I threw the disc towards his endzone to my team only for it to not be caught. The result: his team now on offense with a gain of 50yds. #thegoat

Uzoma Okeke

Aug 10, 2018, 12:22:04 PM8/10/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com
Would be cool to have some sort of historical game where everyone from every generation came out to either watch or play. But I might get triggered at how many people show up since the numbers would surpass our regular attendance lol.

dmcc...@webmail.us

Aug 10, 2018, 12:31:07 PM8/10/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com

I had thoughts along the same lines, although I didn't say anything because it would kinda commit me to come out and play.

Mike Cooper

Aug 10, 2018, 1:38:31 PM8/10/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com
McCreedy, you are now committed to being there.

Z, I appreciate the years that you basically ran Southfield.  When I look back over the years, shout-outs also go to Marc Landau, Derek Stottlemyer and Marc Zigterman for also running Southfield.

Why would you bring back the greatest play ever. That was such as veteran move.  I think I even said ‘here you go as I handed you the disc and yes, started to stall count you.   You were such a sport.

Your own growth and development was awesome to watch. In fact, seeing newbies and rookies develop was very satisfying.

Oh the fond memories we will forever have.

Coop

de...@stottlemyer.com

Aug 10, 2018, 2:13:58 PM8/10/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com
You guys are making me want to cry!

I'd be down for something if I'm in town. That would be a blast.

-D

Derek Stottlemyer
Licensed Avatar Master

"Avatar® teaches the use of proven navigational tools that can be used, in harmony with your own integrity, to pass safely across the uncharted turbulence of the mind into the region of the soul." — Harry Palmer, author of the Avatar® materials.

Avatar® is a registered trademark of Star's Edge, Inc. All rights reserved.

Aug 10, 2018, 3:47:00 PM8/10/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com
You make a valid point as always z and it doesn’t really matter much anyways. Fun times for sure

Uzoma Okeke

Aug 10, 2018, 3:56:12 PM8/10/18
to detroit-...@googlegroups.com
Coop I still recall you thanking me after I threw it over there. Never again. And I really wish that the core players from back then were playing now. I'd really like to see exactly how well I've improved by playing against the very people that brought me to this point.

Man....strongly thinking of doing an annual historical game in July or August just to see the old crew again. Assuming they come out ;)

Sven Gustafson

Aug 10, 2018, 8:20:44 PM8/10/18
to Detroit Ultimate
I'd try my damndest to come