Announcement: .Net/Mono desktopcouch client lib

Mandel

Apr 30, 2010, 2:25:43 PM4/30/10
to Desktop CouchDB
Hello there,

I have written a lib that allow to use Desktopcouch from Mono, I will
be updating it to make sure that it matches the level of the python
one.

Code can be found here at lp:desktopcouchsharp
Announcement post: http://www.themacaque.com/?p=604

Please let me know comments and bugs.

Hope it helps,

Manuel

Rodrigo Moya

May 2, 2010, 4:43:14 AM5/2/10
to desktop...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 11:25 -0700, Mandel wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I have written a lib that allow to use Desktopcouch from Mono, I will
> be updating it to make sure that it matches the level of the python
> one.
>
> Code can be found here at lp:desktopcouchsharp
> Announcement post: http://www.themacaque.com/?p=604

hmm, I've got a branch to do automatic Mono bindings (via mono-gapi)
from couchdb-glib. It's still not finished, but once done, it should
generate the bindings automatically

Manuel de la Peña

May 2, 2010, 6:17:53 AM5/2/10
to desktop...@googlegroups.com
Rodrigo,

Dammed, we should talk more ofter :P. Currently I had to "fully" provide a way to access couchdb through C# by using Divan as my code base and clean it up and modify it accordingly to match the code style and use I wanted for desktopcouchsharp. This is an extra effort that I really did not like to do.

The best option would be to use the glib back end and using Json.Net to provide the serialization of the objects to make the lib more c#, the rest would be simple glue.

Lets talk about it at UDS, shall we?

Kr,

Manuel

Manuel de la Peña

May 2, 2010, 6:22:56 AM5/2/10
to desktop...@googlegroups.com
Uh, another thing I forgot, I wanted to use the glib code from vala. I have used the tool to auto generate the binding (quite easy by the way). Could we have a pacakage for that done?? Maiking everyone going through the step of creating the bindings looks like waste of time, doesn't it?

We should jot this down in the wiki at some point.

Rodrigo Moya

May 3, 2010, 5:06:44 AM5/3/10
On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 12:17 +0200, Manuel de la Peña wrote:
> Rodrigo,
>

> Dammed, we should talk more ofter :P. Currently I had to "fully"
> provide a way to access couchdb through C# by using Divan as my code
> base and clean it up and modify it accordingly to match the code style
> and use I wanted for desktopcouchsharp. This is an extra effort that I
> really did not like to do.
>

> The best option would be to use the glib back end and using Json.Net
> to provide the serialization of the objects to make the lib more c#,
> the rest would be simple glue.
>

> Lets talk about it at UDS, shall we?

yes :)

Rodrigo Moya

May 3, 2010, 5:07:50 AM5/3/10
On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 12:22 +0200, Manuel de la Peña wrote:
> Uh, another thing I forgot, I wanted to use the glib code from vala. I
> have used the tool to auto generate the binding (quite easy by the
> way). Could we have a pacakage for that done?? Maiking everyone going
> through the step of creating the bindings looks like waste of time,
> doesn't it?

again, Adi Roiban (adiroiban on IRC) has been working on this vala
bindings. Not sure what the progress is, so come to IRC today when
possible and we'll talk with Adi.

Manuel de la Peña

May 3, 2010, 5:10:17 AM5/3/10
to desktop...@googlegroups.com
Ok... dammed, I'd love to be on IRC more ofter but I'm blocked by the office proxy.... major pain in the ass, I'll try to be there around 4pm ~ 5pm

Manuel de la Peña

May 3, 2010, 5:53:59 AM5/3/10
to desktop...@googlegroups.com
I just took some time to check, indeed adiroiban has an lp branch with the bindings (lp:~adiroiban/couchdb-glib/vala-bindings), glib bindings are very easy to generate using instrospection so I'm sure they  are refectly alright, I'll use them a little this afternoon.

Kr,

Manuel