Having python-keyring take "extra" parameters

Stuart Langridge

Jan 5, 2010, 1:42:40 PM1/5/10
to job...@gmail.com, desktop...@googlegroups.com, tho...@apestaart.org
Kang,

We've been looking at the python-keyring project in order to use it as
part of the Linux desktopcouch system -- at the moment, desktopcouch, a
per-user database, stores its authentication keys in gnome-keyring, and
we'd like to not depend on gnome-keyring but instead be cross-platform,
and python-keyring is obviously ideal for this!

However, gnome-keyring can store a little more data than python-keyring
can, obviously because python-keyring deliberately has a simpler API so
that it can be cross-platform. What we're thinking about is allowing
python-keyring functions to take an extra optional parameter which would
be used to "fill in" some of the missing richness of the gnome-keyring
API, so if my application is using python-keyring then I can pass my
"extra data" when creating or retrieving keys: on systems where extra
data is supported (like gnome-keyring) that extra data can be used to
store more information about the saved keys, and on systems where extra
data is not supported, the optional parameter is ignored.

Have you already thought of work in this direction? Perhaps you've
already made a start on it. If not, do you have suggestions about how
you think it ought to work, and how the API should look?

Stuart

Manuel de la Peña

Jan 6, 2010, 6:43:51 AM1/6/10
to desktop...@googlegroups.com
That is actually one of the problems I have faced with the port to Windows (plus a number of others I´ll bring up ton IRC). Adding this extra paarameters would be very helpful since while I was working on the Windows port I found my self doing a lot of branching depending on the os which I did not like much.

Please keep me updated on this while I fix other issues.

Manuel

Stuart Langridge

Jan 6, 2010, 6:48:02 AM1/6/10
to Manuel de la Peña, desktop...@googlegroups.com
On 01/06/2010 11:43 AM, Manuel de la Pe�a wrote:
> That is actually one of the problems I have faced with the port to
> Windows (plus a number of others I�ll bring up ton IRC). Adding this
> extra paarameters would be very helpful since while I was working on the
> Windows port I found my self doing a lot of branching depending on the
> os which I did not like much.
>
> Please keep me updated on this while I fix other issues.

Definitely! (And cool that you're having some success with the Windows
port :))

Manuel, I don't know if you caught yesterday's discussion about
python-keyring: thomasvs has a branch
(https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~thomasvs/desktopcouch/0.5-keyring)
which moves towards it. There was lots of discussion about this branch
(so it won't be taken precisely as it stands): see
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/01/05/%23ubuntuone.html#t17:15 for that
discussion, and any thoughts you have would also obviously be useful!

sil