Futon not working

Thomas Ibbotson

Feb 2, 2010, 3:25:20 AM2/2/10
to desktop...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

When I open my Futon page via the desktop-couch/couchdb.html. I get
the Futon interface, but it hangs and the list of databases is empty.
All that happens is the spinner next to "Overview" spins indefinitely.
I tried restarting desktop-couch as per the troubleshooting guide on
freedesktop.org, but that didn't work. "killall beam.smp" returned
"beam.smp: no process found" and
"dbus-send --session --dest=org.desktopcouch.CouchDB --print-reply
--type=method_call / org.desktopcouch.CouchDB.getPort" gave
"Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a
reply (timeout by message bus)". My desktop-couch is still working
with my applications that use it.

Also, I have a possibly unrelated problem, which is that my
application that uses desktop-couch does not appear to be syncing with
ubuntuone. I tried to have a look at the log as per the freenode.org
guide, but the log it mentions does not exist.

I am running desktop-couch version 0.5-ubuntu1 and ubuntuone-client
version 1.1.1+r321-0ubuntu1~ppa1~karmic.

Thanks,
Tom

Stuart Langridge

Feb 2, 2010, 1:26:04 PM2/2/10
On 02/02/2010 12:25 AM, Thomas Ibbotson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I open my Futon page via the desktop-couch/couchdb.html. I get
> the Futon interface, but it hangs and the list of databases is empty.
> All that happens is the spinner next to "Overview" spins indefinitely.
> I tried restarting desktop-couch as per the troubleshooting guide on
> freedesktop.org, but that didn't work. "killall beam.smp" returned
> "beam.smp: no process found" and
> "dbus-send --session --dest=org.desktopcouch.CouchDB --print-reply
> --type=method_call / org.desktopcouch.CouchDB.getPort" gave
> "Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a
> reply (timeout by message bus)". My desktop-couch is still working
> with my applications that use it.
>
> Also, I have a possibly unrelated problem, which is that my
> application that uses desktop-couch does not appear to be syncing with
> ubuntuone. I tried to have a look at the log as per the freenode.org
> guide, but the log it mentions does not exist.

OK. From the sound of this, desktopcouch isn't properly running. What
the troubleshooting desktopcouch page process does is (a) kill CouchDB
(which wasn't running, because you got beam.smp: no process found), and
(b) restart it by calling the D-Bus API (which isn't working, which is
why you got the error). I am at a loss as to how applications are still
talking to desktopcouch when it's not running, I must admit :)

What output do you get if you run
/usr/lib/desktopcouch/desktopcouch-service in a terminal?

It might be handy if you could drop into #ubuntuone for some real-time
debugging :)

sil

Thomas Ibbotson

Feb 2, 2010, 2:11:58 PM2/2/10
to desktop...@googlegroups.com
On 2 February 2010 18:26, Stuart Langridge

<stuart.l...@canonical.com> wrote:
> On 02/02/2010 12:25 AM, Thomas Ibbotson wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
> It might be handy if you could drop into #ubuntuone for some real-time
> debugging :)
>
> sil

I'll be in #ubuntuone as soon as I get home, which will be as soon as
I've managed to work out how I'm corrupting memory here at work and
fixed it...

Thomas Ibbotson

Feb 2, 2010, 4:02:15 PM2/2/10
to desktop...@googlegroups.com

Re: the IRC conversation. Killing and restarting desktopcouch on the
2nd machine as per the freedesktop.org instructions fixed it and
everything synced. Don't know why I didn't think to try that in the
first place.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Thomas Ibbotson

Feb 5, 2010, 8:21:28 AM2/5/10
On 2 February 2010 08:25, Thomas Ibbotson <thomas....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I open my Futon page via the desktop-couch/couchdb.html. I get
> the Futon interface, but it hangs and the list of databases is empty.
> All that happens is the spinner next to "Overview" spins indefinitely.

So this problem has returned. The futon it is trying to access is at:
http://localhost:38063/_utils/
but when I run "dbus-send --session --dest=org.desktopcouch.CouchDB
--print-reply --type=method_call / org.desktopcouch.CouchDB.getPort" I
get:
method return sender=:1.176 -> dest=:1.177 reply_serial=2
int32 41145
so I tried changing the port number after "localhost" but was asked
for a username and password and I couldn't access the page.

Tom

Jeff Craig

Feb 5, 2010, 11:57:31 AM2/5/10
to desktop...@googlegroups.com
I've seen this occasionally as well. Sometimes, desktop-couchdb fails to overwrite the bookmarkable HTML redirect file, though I'm not sure why, since the code for it is dead simple.

The username and password are stored in the desktopcouch ini file, which is under ~/.local. Alternatively, you can look at the URL that the HTML redirect file is redirecting to, and simply change the port number.

I might suggest deleting the HTML file after, to ensure it's recreated next time desktopcouch starts.

Jeff Craig

-- Sent from my Android Phone

Thomas Ibbotson <thomas....@gmail.com> wrote:

Stuart Langridge

Feb 5, 2010, 1:26:30 PM2/5/10
On 02/05/2010 08:57 AM, Jeff Craig wrote:
> I've seen this occasionally as well. Sometimes, desktop-couchdb fails to overwrite the bookmarkable HTML redirect file, though I'm not sure why, since the code for it is dead simple.
>
> The username and password are stored in the desktopcouch ini file, which is under ~/.local. Alternatively, you can look at the URL that the HTML redirect file is redirecting to, and simply change the port number.
>
> I might suggest deleting the HTML file after, to ensure it's recreated next time desktopcouch starts.

Yep. We (Chad, that is :)) have just built a branch to be much, much
better about recreating the bookmark file so that it doesn't get out of
date, but that branch isn't even merged to trunk yet, let alone packaged :)

If you run into this problem, the best thing to do is to stop DC, delete
the ini file and bookmark file, and restart DC again, as per the
troubleshooting page; that gives everything new settings and it all
works again.

sil

Thomas Ibbotson

Feb 5, 2010, 2:42:18 PM2/5/10
to desktop...@googlegroups.com
On 5 February 2010 18:26, Stuart Langridge
Except that I tried that and it didn't work...

ibbo@ibbuntu:~$ killall beam.smp
beam.smp: no process found
ibbo@ibbuntu:~$ rm /home/ibbo/.config/desktop-couch/desktop-couchdb.ini
ibbo@ibbuntu:~$ dbus-send --session --dest=org.desktopcouch.CouchDB
--print-reply --type=method_call / org.desktopcouch.CouchDB.getPort
method return sender=:1.92 -> dest=:1.104 reply_serial=2
int32 51904
ibbo@ibbuntu:~$

Still have the same problem after doing that.

Tom

Thomas Ibbotson

Feb 5, 2010, 2:47:02 PM2/5/10
to desktop...@googlegroups.com
>> Yep. We (Chad, that is :)) have just built a branch to be much, much better
>> about recreating the bookmark file so that it doesn't get out of date, but
>> that branch isn't even merged to trunk yet, let alone packaged :)
>>
>> If you run into this problem, the best thing to do is to stop DC, delete the
>> ini file and bookmark file, and restart DC again, as per the troubleshooting
>> page; that gives everything new settings and it all works again.
>>
>> sil
>>
> Except that I tried that and it didn't work...
>
> ibbo@ibbuntu:~$ killall beam.smp
> beam.smp: no process found
> ibbo@ibbuntu:~$ rm /home/ibbo/.config/desktop-couch/desktop-couchdb.ini
> ibbo@ibbuntu:~$ dbus-send --session --dest=org.desktopcouch.CouchDB
> --print-reply --type=method_call / org.desktopcouch.CouchDB.getPort
> method return sender=:1.92 -> dest=:1.104 reply_serial=2
>   int32 51904
> ibbo@ibbuntu:~$
>
> Still have the same problem after doing that.
>
> Tom

Out of interest this is what happens on my other machine where it does work:
ibbo@ibbo-tablet:~$ killall beam.smp
beam.smp(1311): Operation not permitted
ibbo@ibbo-tablet:~$ rm
/home/ibbo/.config/desktop-couch/desktop-couchdb.ini
ibbo@ibbo-tablet:~$ dbus-send --session

--dest=org.desktopcouch.CouchDB --print-reply --type=method_call /
org.desktopcouch.CouchDB.getPort

method return sender=:1.111 -> dest=:1.154 reply_serial=2
int32 38029
ibbo@ibbo-tablet:~$

Tom

Stuart Langridge

Feb 5, 2010, 2:51:27 PM2/5/10
On 02/05/2010 11:42 AM, Thomas Ibbotson wrote:
> On 5 February 2010 18:26, Stuart Langridge
> <stuart.l...@canonical.com> wrote:
>> On 02/05/2010 08:57 AM, Jeff Craig wrote:
>>>
>>> I've seen this occasionally as well. Sometimes, desktop-couchdb fails to
>>> overwrite the bookmarkable HTML redirect file, though I'm not sure why,
>>> since the code for it is dead simple.
>>>
>>> The username and password are stored in the desktopcouch ini file, which
>>> is under ~/.local. Alternatively, you can look at the URL that the HTML
>>> redirect file is redirecting to, and simply change the port number.
>>>
>>> I might suggest deleting the HTML file after, to ensure it's recreated
>>> next time desktopcouch starts.
>>
>> Yep. We (Chad, that is :)) have just built a branch to be much, much better
>> about recreating the bookmark file so that it doesn't get out of date, but
>> that branch isn't even merged to trunk yet, let alone packaged :)
>>
>> If you run into this problem, the best thing to do is to stop DC, delete the
>> ini file and bookmark file, and restart DC again, as per the troubleshooting
>> page; that gives everything new settings and it all works again.
>>
>> sil
>>
> Except that I tried that and it didn't work...
>
> ibbo@ibbuntu:~$ killall beam.smp
> beam.smp: no process found

"killall beam". Sorry. My machine is dual-core, so it runs beam.smp, the
multi-core version of Erlang :) I need to update the docs about that...

sil

Thomas Ibbotson

Feb 5, 2010, 2:56:39 PM2/5/10
to desktop...@googlegroups.com
On 5 February 2010 19:51, Stuart Langridge

<stuart.l...@canonical.com> wrote:
>> Except that I tried that and it didn't work...
>>
>> ibbo@ibbuntu:~$ killall beam.smp
>> beam.smp: no process found
>
> "killall beam". Sorry. My machine is dual-core, so it runs beam.smp, the
> multi-core version of Erlang :) I need to update the docs about that...
>
> sil

Aha! That worked. Thanks.