Working together

Dan Lockton

Aug 11, 2009, 7:39:11 AM8/11/09
to Design and Behaviour
Hi everyone,

I'm currently putting together a project proposal for September 2010
onwards, aiming to explore strategic 'design for behaviour change' for
social and environmental benefit in more depth and apply some of the
ideas we've been developing over the last couple of years, via a
series of projects with companies and organisations. We (Brunel) are
hoping to get some EPSRC funding for the project, which will open up a
lot more opportunities for prototyping products and services, running
workshops and user studies, and so on.

If your organisation would like to be involved (either in the UK or
elsewhere), please do get in touch - d...@danlockton.co.uk - to discuss
how we could help each other. Nothing is set in stone yet, as the form
the project takes will depend on the partners we work with. If you
have an 'influencing behaviour' problem or idea, we'd be interested to
talk to you.

In fact, even if the kind of research we're doing is interesting or
useful to your company / team / organisation, and you'd be prepared to
give us a letter of support and a few hours of your time and
expertise, please let me know, as this all helps.

Thanks, and best wishes

Dan Lockton
School of Engineering & Design
Brunel University, London
d...@danlockton.co.uk

Dan Lockton MPhil BSc(Hons) FRSA | Cleaner Electronics Research Group
| Brunel Design
Brunel University | London | UB8 3PH | http://danlockton.co.uk |
http://designwithintent.co.uk

Steven Johnson

Aug 12, 2009, 8:52:25 AM8/12/09
to Design and Behaviour
Hi Dan

Sounds really interesting. As CD of a social marketing agency (The
Hub, www.socialmarketinghub.co.uk), all my projects are focused on
'influencing behaviour' (we've briefly discussed the grey area between
social marketing and design for behaviour change in the past and I
still owe the group a post). Much of our work proceeds on a commercial
footing, primarily in the public sector. Would projects being
developed within this context be appropriate?

Alternatively, we also undertake pro-bono work with a select number of
charities/social enterprises. In this context, we are currently at the
scoping phase of a project that aims to increase the number of BME
families coming forward as potential adopters of BME/mixed heritage
children. It's a fascinating project and, given baselines, an
opportunity to make a real difference. Early indications suggest the
project will involve at least service and communications design
elements, but there will also be the need for some carefully
considered engagement/co-creation work also.

Let me know if any of this is of interest and, either way, count me in
for the letter/time/expertise level of support.

Good luck with the project and please keep me posted!

Steven