RE: design-and-behaviour - 2 new messages in 1 topic - digest

Hornbuckle, Rosie

Nov 24, 2008, 2:55:11 AM11/24/08
to design-and-behaviour group, design-and-behaviour digest subscribers
Cameron... I agree, demonising users is not what designing for behaviour is about.

Charles... I haven't yet had a chance to read all of your articles, but the idea of happy cities is intriguing and more in line with what I would hope design and behaviour should be about... what does everyone else think?

Rosie

Date: Fri, Nov 21 2008 6:19 pm
From: Charles

Hi all,

My name is Charles Montgomery. I am a journalist who looks at the
intersection of psychology and urban design. Most recently I have been
writing about how research on subjective well-being--ok, ok:
happiness--might influence the way we organize and move through
cities. It seems that many changes geared to boost 'happiness' in
cities are the same changes we'd make to deal with climate change and
resource scarcity.

The first policymaker to use well-being research to justify a complete
transformation of his city was Enrique Penalosa, former mayor of
Bogota, Colombia. His story, and more of my recent writing on the
subject can be found here:
www.charlesmontgomery.ca/happiness

I'm fascinated by the ideas I've seen on this discussion, and am keen
to hear how some of them might be broadened to create more
sustainable--and well-being-producing--behaviour in public space,
transpo networks, communities, etc.

Cheers,
Charles Montgomery
[Vancouver, Canada, and Mexico DF, Mexico]
www.charlesmontgomery.ca

== 2 of 2 ==
Date: Sat, Nov 22 2008 2:11 pm
From: Cameron Tonkinwise

We need to get 'our' message out urgently.
Check out the appalling slides under 'Behavior'
in this slick interactive graphic that is doing
the rounds after Worldchanging blogged it:
http://www.noe21.org/solutions/
(there is an introductory movie that is skippable)
Cameron

To change the way you get mail from this group, visit:
http://groups.google.com/group/design-and-behaviour/subscribe?hl=en

To report abuse, send email explaining the problem to ab...@googlegroups.com

Google Groups: http://groups.google.com/?hl=en

Security System.