Update on Mojave Monument plans

magicgroove

Sep 24, 2009, 12:19:45 PM9/24/09
to Neighbors of the 29 Palms Marine Base expansion
From the Press-Enterprise: "Desert monument idea is starting to
shine". Follow the link to view a not-very-good map.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_monument23.318d1a4.html

"Desert monument idea is starting to shine"

06:56 PM PDT on Tuesday, September 22, 2009
By DAVID DANELSKI
The Press-Enterprise

CORRECTION:

And an official with Stirling Energy Systems, a Scottsdale, Ariz.-
based company that also has an application to build a solar plant near
the dry lake, said Tuesday that the company will put its primary focus
on projects outside the monument area.

Efforts to establish a national monument in southeastern San
Bernardino County appear to be gaining momentum as some solar-energy
developers drop plans to build on land targeted for protection.

Oakland-based BrightSource Energy announced late last week that it has
stopped pursuing development of a solar plant on about 5,100 acres
near Broadwell Dry Lake, east of Barstow, because the land there is
being sought for a national monument.

"BrightSource Energy has ceased development activity at the Broadwell
site in light of the proposed monument and is looking at other sites
within California and out of state," John Woolard, the company's
president and CEO, said in a statement.

And an official with Stirling Energy Systems, a Scottsdale, Ariz.-
based company that also has an application to build a solar plant near
the dry lake, said Tuesday that the company will put its primary focus
on projects outside the monument area.

"We want to a find a solution that will be agreeable to everyone
concerned," said Sean Gallagher, Stirling's vice president of
marketing strategy and regulatory affairs.

The companies' apparent willingness to avoid some areas in the eastern
Mojave Desert has bolstered the hopes of monument backers

"It is very good news," said David Myers, executive director of The
Wildlands Conservancy in Oak Glen. Myers' organization is dedicated to
protecting natural places in the desert and elsewhere.

As the energy companies reconsider their plans, the monument idea has
been gaining support among some of the nation's leading environmental
groups, including the Sierra Club and the Natural Resources Defense
Council. Both groups said they support renewable energy development to
combat global warming, but they have agreed with monument supporters
that wild areas should be protected.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., said last spring that she plans to
introduce a bill to create a national monument in the Mojave Desert.
She noted her intention to protect thousands of acres of formerly
private land that was purchased in the 1990s, largely through the
fundraising efforts of The Wildlands Conservancy, and given to the
government.

Myers has said he believed the land was to be protected, but the
federal government accepted applications from companies that wanted to
build solar plants on some of the acreage.

Feinstein has not yet introduced the legislation, but monument
advocates said it could cover much of the public land between Joshua
Tree National Park and the Mojave National Preserve and include a 70-
mile stretch of Historic Route 66. The name "Mother Road National
Monument" has been suggested in honor of the highway.

Efforts to protect public land in the area are running up against
state and federal efforts to encourage alternative-energy development
to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Last month, the Schwarzenegger administration wrote Feinstein, saying
a monument "must not" interfere with renewable energy projects.

But monument supporters, including Feinstein, say the desert has room
for energy projects that don't destroy what they see as the pristine
public lands.

The BrightSource project at Broadwell Dry Lake would have ruined one
of the more striking valleys sought for the monument, said Elden
Hughes, an environmental activist in Joshua Tree.

"It is really one of the most beautiful vistas in the desert," Hughes
said. "I have seen yellow flowers there that went all the way to the
horizon."

Hughes said he is encouraged. "This monument is getting much closer,"
he said.

But 30-year Yucca Valley resident Mike Hawkins opposes the monument
idea. It would force energy developers and military base expansions to
use land needed for off-road recreation, he said. The monument also
would take land that has mining potential.

"We don't need more land locked away," Hawkins said.

Reach David Danelski at 951-368-9471 or ddan...@PE.com

Mike

Oct 16, 2009, 9:15:05 PM10/16/09
to Neighbors of the 29 Palms Marine Base expansion
Feinstein v Everyone

I may be preaching to the choir (I hope so) but I’ve got to make sure
everyone understands the ramifications of not stopping this thing
while we can.

Time could be running out on this Mother Road Monument thing and it
has become obvious to me that we need to oppose it with some serious
action.

Feinstein’s bill would stop all renewable energy development and the
proposed 29 Palms Marine Base expansion into an esthetically
unremarkable and mostly vacant desert from the eastern boundary of the
Marine Base, all the way to the Colorado River, 70 miles away.

And it would block any new mining in a mineral rich portion of the
desert that has been actively exploited by sizable Borax and Salt mine
operations for decades, gold too. And, there is even a limited amount
of agri-business in the Cadiz valley east of Amboy, south of a busy
railroad.

Does that sound like a place for a National Monument to you? I would
find the proposal humorous were it not for the problems it would cause
if it were to happen.

If Feinstein gets this through, all of the green energy projects, the
Marine Base expansion and any other concern in need of desert land
will look to the other side of the Base for accommodation.

That would devastate the communities of Johnson Valley, Landers and
Yucca Mesa (collectively known as Homestead Valley). The near by Town
of Lucerne would be similarly impacted. The diverse wealth of
recreational opportunities we now enjoy in Homestead Valley would be
lost to the public and supporting businesses Gas stations, Restraints
and Grocery Stores would be adversely affected as would the more
specialized suppliers of all that recreational equipment, a huge
industry in So. Cal.

Rural Homestead Valley offers OHV access to businesses and residences
via privately maintained (dirt) roads from a grand assortment of
exciting “LEGAL” BLM trails surrounding these communities. Those
trails would undoubtedly be sacrificed to the aforementioned energy
conglomerates and related infrastructure if Feinstein denies them the
less encumbered land east of the base.

That would be bad enough but there’s more… …namely the proposed, and
problematic, Marine Base expansion every off-roader in the Country
should know about by now.

Passage of the bill Feinstein is crafting would totally eliminate any
possibility of the Pentagon expanding the 29 Palms Marine Base into
the badlands that are the Sheep Hole Mountains east of the Base. That
would virtually guarantee the loss of the Johnson Valley Open
Recreation area.

The Johnson Valley Open Recreation Area, west of the Base, managed by
the BLM, is used extensively by the public and offers a broad range of
recreational opportunity but of particular note is that it purports to
be the largest open OHV area in the nation!

A lot of good Folks from concerned locals to many varied organizations
together with the Marines have been working very hard, for a very long
time, to find a workable solution. This Bill would devastate that
effort!

Additionally, Ms. Feinstein identifies other public lands in Southern
California for designations that will make them, basically impossible
to use as well. And, she wants it all included in this, her latest
land closing bill.

I think we need more land locked away from productive use like we need
the economic crisis to continue. That’s exactly what would happen too.
Has anyone noticed, we can’t even afford to manage the vast tracts of
land we’ve already set aside?

Surveying, mapping, signage, general maintenance, enforcement of the
restrictions and so on, ain’t free! So, should we continue to borrow,
just a little more, from Folks that will never share our vision, China
for instance, or the Middle East? What happens when we can no longer
repay our enemies? Does that prospect worry anyone?

It’s a catch 22. It makes no sense. We indebt ourselves in order to
lock away the very land our children will need to have in use
(producing renewable energy for instance) in order to repay the debt
we incurred by locking the land away in the first place. I think it
looks and quacks like a conspiracy. Don’t you?

What’s it going to take to get our National political organizations,
those in favor of American Liberty and Independence, to join the
campaign to stop the stupidity? We need to convince Congressional
representation in every State that Feinstein’s bill will hurt a whale
of a lot more than the good people of California.

Mike Hawkins
Yucca Valley CA

On Sep 24, 9:19 am, magicgroove <magicgro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From the Press-Enterprise:  "Desert monument idea is starting to
> shine".  Follow the link to view a not-very-good map.
>
> http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_monument23...
> Reach David Danelski at 951-368-9471 or ddanel...@PE.com

magicgroove

Oct 17, 2009, 3:43:44 PM10/17/09
to Neighbors of the 29 Palms Marine Base expansion
Mike, I think I understand your points but the Monument idea looks a
little different from the southern and eastern areas. We have a lot
at stake over here, too, and the Monument may or may not be a good
thing for us depending on what the final proposal looks like. But
obviously, arguments to preserve Homestead Valley at the price of
major sacrifices from us in the south and east leave us less than
persuaded. Like you, we also face big potential impacts not only from
the Monument idea but also from Base expansion, federal and state
energy plans, and, always, water struggles.

I'm pasting below an article from this week's Needles Desert Star
about the anticipated positive economic effects on that desert
community from a Mother Road Monument. The folks there seem pretty
excited about it. I paste this as evidence of how the issue is very
complex. I don't think one can generalize that the Monument would be
for sure a bad thing across the board for desert folks. Personally, I
need to see the final proposal before I'll be ready to judge.

Chris in Wonder Valley

http://www.thedesertstar.com/articles/2009/10/14/news/local/news997.txt

Alliance to promote Mother Road

By MARJ DARIO, Needles Desert Star
Monday, October 12, 2009 12:30 PM PDT

NEEDLES - In the novel “The Grapes of Wrath,” John Steinbeck wrote,
“(Route) 66 is the mother road, the road of flight,” when referring to
the 1930s migration of Dust Bowl refugees who headed west hoping to
find jobs in the fields of California. After describing the long
journey from the central plains, Steinbeck continued,“There's
California just over the river, and a pretty town to start it.
Needles, on the river.”

A proposed Mother Road National Monument project may soon regain
positive recognition for Needles.

The “driveable monument” concept is all about preserving a 70-mile
section of historic Route 66 between Needles and Barstow in the Mojave
Desert. It would pass through Goffs, Essex, Amboy, Ludlow and a few
other small towns which became neglected after Interstate 40 was
built. Needles is expected to be the eastern anchor for the monument
road.

Collaboration by several entities including Sierra Club, Nevada Desert
Committee, Wildlands Conservancy and Route 66 preservationists has
produced an initial plan which is being presented to government
officials. Several concerns are expected to be worked out through
negotiations among all parties involved.

Designation of a national monument would attract tourism and provide
historical preservation, but the purpose is also to protect open
desert lands surrounding a number of wilderness areas. Construction of
wind and solar plants in the area and expansion of the U.S. Marine
base at Twentynine Palms is expected to be carefully considered.

Conservationists are asking that all existing uses be preserved,
military expansion be well planned, renewable energy plant placement
be prudent and the 189,000-acre Johnson Valley off-highway vehicle
area be kept intact. The intent is to promote responsible development
to avoid disturbing the area's natural beauty and wildlife.

Senator Dianne Feinstein has been approached about the proposed
project. She is introducing legislation to protect former Catellus
lands, some 600,000 donated and purchased acres which are sprinkled
throughout public trust lands in the Mojave Desert; however, she has
not actually endorsed the mother road concept or related plans as
detailed.

The Needles Downtown Business Alliance has been energized by the
national monument proposal and intends to elevate publicity for the
portion of Route 66 which runs through town. The alliance meets on the
first Thursday of each month until October, when twice-a-month
meetings, on the first and third Thursday, resume.

Meetings begin at 11:30 a.m. in the Wagon Wheel restaurant along
Needles Highway. The public is invited. The alliance is dedicated to
the preservation and beautification of historic downtown Needles. Send
e-mails to needl...@aol.com.

Visit the Needles Area Chamber of Commerce at Front and G streets;
call 760-326-2050.