MetaMeetup: This week (Wednesday, 2008/11/12 7:00 PM): Virtualization

Josh More

Nov 9, 2008, 4:54:08 PM11/9/08
to Des Moines Meta User Group
I just wanted to send a reminder out to the group that the first*
MetaMeetup is taking place at the Virtualization Users Group this
week. We will focus on business-level uses of virtualization.

The topics to be covered are:

* What is virtualization / benefits, drawbacks?
* How long has Virtualization been around?
* Overview of common virtualization technologies
o OS-level virtualization: VMWare, Xen/VirtualIron,
VirtualBox
o Desktop-level virtualization: Citrix, LTSP, VDI
o Application-level virtualization: XenApp, NoMachine/FreeNX
* Open Discussion: Real-world applications / success, failures
o Steps to take to achieve Virtualization.
o Cost of ownership such as learning curve, support,
upgrades, hardware, monitoring performance.
o What major corporations use it for in a corporate
environment.

Map and directions are at: http://www.thevug.org/component/option,com_eventlist/Itemid,34/func,details/did,11/

Please join us for the discussion.

-Josh More

* OK, maybe the one last month at the Agile group was the first one,
but since all the cool languages index at 0, I'm going to count the
VUG meeting as number 1. ;)