DynamoDB livedb bindings

Greg Fodor

Jan 10, 2014, 5:26:43 AM1/10/14
to der...@googlegroups.com
I made a first pass at bindings for DynamoDB, still not in prod yet but figured I'd share:

A few caveats:

- I've only tested it on local DynamoDB for now.
- I had to fix a bug in the main test suite for it to pass. (See https://github.com/share/livedb/pull/15)
- The behavior in the test suite seems a bit weird for the case where start == end when calling getOps. I made my code pass the suite but it seems wrong.
- I didn't implement a query API.
- The test suite sets up the appropriate tables, for production you'll have to set up your tables/primary keys manually for now.
- DynamoDB has a limit of 1MB on requests, so it might not be feasible to use this for large documents. A proper solution would store the snapshot data in S3 and refer to it from the dynamodb record. For now, the driver stringifies objects and then deflates them before storing them in DynamoDB.

Happy to get feedback or pull requests :)

Vladimir Makhaev

Jan 10, 2014, 8:58:11 AM1/10/14
to der...@googlegroups.com
Great!

But one thing. I also like coffeescript, but if you want to make it useful for everybody (publish to npm), then js is better.

Greg Fodor

Jan 11, 2014, 8:54:29 PM1/11/14
to der...@googlegroups.com
I went ahead and cut a 0.1.0 release to npm. Enjoy :)

Curran Kelleher

Sep 21, 2015, 7:35:52 PM9/21/15
to Derby
Hello,

This looks like really interesting work. DynamoDB and S3 are indeed more appealing than MongoDB in many ways. Did you end up successfully deploying LiveDB on DynamoDB and S3? How did it go? I'm thinking to try getting this package up and running, I wonder if it will still work. Thank you.

Best regards,
Curran