Fwd: Enter our #safetoplay Design Challenge TODAY!

Al Johnson

Jun 9, 2020, 11:03:08 AM6/9/20
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

It's so inspiring to see how we are rethinking everything we do during this crisis to ensure a safer and better future after we transition out of lockdown. Research by Paula Zucotti, the renowned industrial designer, trend forecaster, ethnographer and author of Every Thing We Touch, shows that we touch up to 140 items per day (excluding structural fittings like light switches, taps and door handles).

That just goes to show how many things we need to redesign to be safer. It's not just the essential stuff that we need to redesign, but also our sports equipment, board games, frisbees, bicycles, refillable water bottles...

As a community of nearly 30,000 product innovators across 190 countries, who are making almost 2000 products on Wikifactory, we don't just have to adapt to the New Normal. We can help shape it!

We are proud to announce the launch of our #safetoplay Design Challenge in collaboration with Snapmaker, that starts today and runs until July 5th. Think about something you love to do - sports, games, exploring the outdoors - and help make it more virus-resistant, to that it's #safetoplay with.

So how do you enter the Design Challenge?

Go to www.wikifactory.com/topic/safetoplay to read all the details. Key things to note are:

  1. Your design entries must employ at least one digital fabrication technology, including 3D printing, laser engraving or CNC milling (but you'll score points for building in all three).
  2. You must also incorporate anti-viral materials or processes, into your submission
  3. the Jury will also assess aesthetics, great concepts, how collaborative the design process was and the engagement it gets both on Wikifactory and your social media channels.

Entries will be judged by an amazing panel of experts, including Zhijie Liang (Overseas Sales at Snapmaker), Daniel Charny (award-winning designer, curator and educator at Fixperts), Henk Werner (CEO of TroubleMaker), Joris Peels (Editor in Chief at 3Dprint.com), Paula Zuccotti (author of Everything We Touch, and an industrial designer, trend forecaster and ethnographer),  Christina Rebel (Co-founder of Wikifactory) and  Agustin Arroyo (Professor and UVF Madrid and celebrated maker @flowalistik).

All winners will be announced in July by 3Dprint.com, and promoted on multiple social media channels by all the jury. The top two prizes are the Snapmaker 2.0 A350 and the Snapmaker Original and many more prizes for 8 runner up finalists. The top prize-winner (individual or a collaborative team) will also be mentored by our jury (made up of funding advisors, authors, designers, futurists, heads of incubators and maker spaces) to bring their product to prototype and advised on how to showcase these are exhibitions.

Check out the competition page to ENTER NOW!

There’s plenty of expert advice, support and resources at your disposal to help with all aspects of this design challenge (including technical specifications, protocols, how-to video tutorials, design templates, an example project and WHO advice on safer practices).

On that note, @flowalistik  just started a new Wikifactory Guide where we will be sharing many tips on how to design and manufacture products! The first is about  How to prepare files for 3D printing, where he goes through a few important tips you should always have at hand. When sharing a project with the open-source community, 3D models need to be prepared to be used and manufactured by people that have not interacted with them before. It is common to make mistakes preparing models for 3D printing, so have a look at his tips!

We hope you have fun with this challenge that bridges the gap between functionality, creativity, positive social impact, and safety.

Stay up to date on everything to do with this challenge by following us on social media! We are on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin, and Weibo.

We can't wait to see what you come up with!

Carolina Portugal
Head of Community

wikifactory.com
Twitter: @wikifactory
Instagram: @wikifactoryhq

Wikifactory Ltd, 60 Devon Mansions, Tooley Street, London SE1 2LD
Unsubscribe from our emails
intercom