Passenger won't start (I think)

Dale Cook

Jul 4, 2009, 11:07:10 PM7/4/09
to deprec - deployment recipes for capistrano
I've tried to install Passenger under both Apache and Nginx but I keep
getting the same result.

Essentially I do this
cap deprec:rails:install_stack
cap deprec:db:install
cap deploy:setup
cap deploy
cap deploy:migrate

and my deploy.rb file looks like

set :ruby_vm_type, :mri # :ree, :mri
set :web_server_type, :apache # :apache, :nginx
set :app_server_type, :passenger # :passenger, :mongrel
set :db_server_type, :mysql # :mysql, :postgresql, :sqlite

(I've tried it with nginx too)

everything seems to install correctly but when I go to the site I just
see the apache (or nginx) welcome pages, the site itself does not
load. I can't use REE because it's missing some 1.8.7 features that I
need. I've gotten everything working with nginx and mongrels but I'd
like to be able to do this without mongrels. I'm using Ubuntu Hardy.

I've tried rebootong and restarting both apaches and passenger
manually but it doesn't work. Any ideas?

Dale

Mike Bailey

Jul 5, 2009, 4:05:46 AM7/5/09
to deprec...@googlegroups.com
Is this present? /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default

If so, could you try deleting, restarting apache and then trying again?

Let me know, we may need to fix this in deprec.

- Mike

Dale Cook

Jul 5, 2009, 3:27:50 PM7/5/09
to deprec - deployment recipes for capistrano
Mike,

That was exactly what happened. I deleted the 000-default file,
restarted apache, it threw some errors related to the file being
missing but did restart. It now seems to be working fine and if I
restart it again all is good. Quick side note, I do get the following
error with a restart

apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified
domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName

but it doesn't seem to actually cause any problems. Not sure if you're
interested in that but I thought I'd let you know.

I actually wanted to try this under Nginx too but got the same result
(Nginx started but wouldn't server the site). Since I know virtually
nothing about these configuration issues do you have any idea what
might be causing the same problem with Nginx?

Thanks for the help, and for all the great work on deprec.

Dale

On Jul 5, 1:05 am, Mike Bailey <m...@bailey.net.au> wrote:
> Is this present? /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default
>
> If so, could you try deleting, restarting apache and then trying again?
>
> Let me know, we may need to fix this in deprec.
>
> - Mike

Mike Bailey

Jul 5, 2009, 11:17:17 PM7/5/09
to deprec...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Dale Cook <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:

That was exactly what happened. I deleted the 000-default file,

thanks for the feedback. Need to work out why the default was being used instead of the domain we had setup.

Can you post the contents of the apache vhost file deprec created?
And what was the URL you were hitting your site with?

I actually wanted to try this under Nginx too but got the same result
(Nginx started but wouldn't server the site). Since I know virtually
nothing about these configuration issues do you have any idea what
might be causing the same problem with Nginx?

Nope. Check the logs. Google. Send me the solution so I can improve deprec. :-)

Thanks for the help, and for all the great work on deprec.

You're welcome. It's good you made the effort to report the problem. A lot of newbies just tweet when something fails. Useless...

 - Mike

Dale Cook

Jul 6, 2009, 2:03:38 AM7/6/09
to deprec - deployment recipes for capistrano
Mike,

No problem, I'd be more than happy to post that, but once again you'll
have to forgive my ignorance and tell me which file it is, either the
name or where you think it might be located. (It's best to assume I
know nothing about server configuration).

Actually, if you send me an email at dale at dalecook dot us I'd me
more than happy to send it back to you directly if that's your
preference.

Dale

Greg Fairbrother

Jul 6, 2009, 2:09:06 AM7/6/09
to deprec...@googlegroups.com

On 06/07/2009, at 4:03 PM, Dale Cook wrote:

>> Can you post the contents of the apache vhost file deprec created?
>> And what was the URL you were hitting your site with?
>

> No problem, I'd be more than happy to post that, but once again you'll
> have to forgive my ignorance and tell me which file it is, either the
> name or where you think it might be located.

Dale, the file would be in:

/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/your-app-name

where 'your-app-name' would be the name of your app

Greg

--
Greg Fairbrother
p 07 5656 9696 m 0421 006618

Mike Bailey

Jul 6, 2009, 2:10:32 AM7/6/09
to deprec...@googlegroups.com
Have a look in /etc/apache2/sites-available/

There should be a file with the same name as your application.

Even though deprec helps automate things, it's a good idea to learn what it's doing. Have a poke around. :-)

- Mike

Dale Cook

Jul 6, 2009, 1:48:00 PM7/6/09
to deprec - deployment recipes for capistrano

OK, wasn't sure if you wanted that one or the default file (which I
deleted anyway)
We're not ready to really advertise the site yet, so the names have
been changed to protect the innocent, but just assume that gatherra is
the actual name of the site and everything is the same. (gatherra is
actually a site that we've had up and running for a while using the
old version of deprec - version 1.4 or so I think, although I didn't
have much to do with this one so I'm not sure).

Here it is (it's location was /etc/apache2/sites-available/gatherra)

# Don't cause the server to break if Passenger module not loaded
<IfModule passenger_module>
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName gatherra.com
ServerAlias assets0.com
ServerAlias assets1.com
ServerAlias assets2.com
ServerAlias assets3.com

DocumentRoot "/opt/apps/gatherra/current/public"
RailsEnv production
# RailsAllowModRewrite off
#
# Check for maintenance file and redirect all requests
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !\.(css|jpg|png|gif)$
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/system/maintenance.html -f
RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !maintenance.html
RewriteRule ^.*$ /system/maintenance.html [L]
<Directory "/opt/apps/gatherra/current/public">
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>
</IfModule>

On Jul 5, 11:10 pm, Mike Bailey <m...@bailey.net.au> wrote:
> Have a look in /etc/apache2/sites-available/
>
> There should be a file with the same name as your application.
>
> Even though deprec helps automate things, it's a good idea to learn what
> it's doing. Have a poke around. :-)
>
> - Mike

Evan C

Jul 26, 2009, 3:28:33 AM7/26/09
On 5 July, 09:05, Mike Bailey <m...@bailey.net.au> wrote:
> Is this present? /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default
>
> If so, could you try deleting, restarting apache and then trying again?
>
> Let me know, we may need to fix this in deprec.
>
> - Mike

Hi Mike

I had the same problem and your solution worked for me too.
Additionally, with 000-default I got the following errors when
restarting apache (actual domain name replaced with example.com):

[out :: example.com] * Restarting web server apache2
*** [err :: example.com] [Sun Jul 26 07:16:11 2009] [error]
VirtualHost *:80 -- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a
NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with undefined
results
*** [err :: example.com] [Sun Jul 26 07:16:11 2009] [warn]
NameVirtualHost *:80 has no VirtualHosts
*** [err :: example.com] [Sun Jul 26 07:16:21 2009] [error]
VirtualHost *:80 -- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a
NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with undefined
results
*** [err :: example.com] [Sun Jul 26 07:16:21 2009] [warn]
NameVirtualHost *:80 has no VirtualHosts
** [out :: example.com] ...done.

once 000-default was deleted the errors disappeared. I'm using a
standard deprec setup as documented at http://deprec.failmode.com/intro/

Evan
Message has been deleted

dimitris

Aug 26, 2009, 9:31:33 AM8/26/09
to deprec - deployment recipes for capistrano
Hi, I've encountered the same problem using 2.1.11 (evenb though my
stock apache conf files are called just default. not 000-default). It
seems the configuration file generation is doing something wrong.

Could someone please post their apache and/or nginx configuration
files? Then I could try uploading those instead of the ones deprec is
generating to see where things go wrong.

TIA