REE install problem

Cyrille

Jun 28, 2009, 6:47:04 AM6/28/09
to deprec - deployment recipes for capistrano
Hi there,

I am trying to run: cap deprec:rails:install_stack

The output looks OK although the sheer amount of data makes it hard to
be sure... No big ERROR msg in any case.

However the first problem I noticed is that REE is not installed. I am
completely new to deprec, so I might be way off the mark, but from the
code, it seems to download:

http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/ruby-enterprise-1.8.6-20090610.tar.gz

which doesn't exist as a URL. Was it moved recently?

Also, Passenger doesn't get installed, but that's probably because REE
isn't there.

Finally Apache doesn't get installed. It works if I run: cap
deprec:apache:install. Do I have to specify that I want it as part of
the "Rails stack"? Or is:

top.deprec.web.install (one line 94 of rails.rb)

supposed to install it for me? (given that I
set :web_server_type, :apache in my deploy file)

Cheers

Cyrille

Mike Bailey

Jun 28, 2009, 6:56:26 AM6/28/09
to deprec...@googlegroups.com
I'll try to give it a test tomorrow.

- Mike

Greg Fairbrother

Jun 28, 2009, 5:38:33 PM6/28/09
to deprec...@googlegroups.com

On 28/06/2009, at 8:47 PM, Cyrille wrote:

> However the first problem I noticed is that REE is not installed. I am
> completely new to deprec, so I might be way off the mark, but from the
> code, it seems to download:
>
> http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/ruby-enterprise-1.8.6-20090610.tar.gz
>
> which doesn't exist as a URL. Was it moved recently?

seems the files are back on rubyforge, this is from phusions blog:

"REE releases are usually hosted on RubyForge, but it’s currently
down, so we’re temporarily hosting this release on our own web server.
Please note that these links are temporary and will be replaced by
RubyForge links once RubyForge is online again. (UPDATE: links point
to RubyForge now)"

if you find where the deprec gem i installed (or install the find_gem
gem and do 'edit_gem deprec') and edit the file:

/lib/deprec/recipes/ruby/ree.rb

then change:

:url => "http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/#{ree_version}.tar.gz",

:url => "http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/58677/
#{ree_version}.tar.gz",

that should work, at least for now, I'm not sure how rubyforge url's
work that one may be temp (it's the 'download.php/58677' bit that
makes me wonder).

--
Greg Fairbrother
p 07 5656 9696 m 0421 006618

Cyrille

Jun 28, 2009, 7:41:05 PM6/28/09
to deprec - deployment recipes for capistrano
Thanks Greg,

yeah I'll make the replacement, I wanted to make sure I was on the
right tracks first...

The URL does look at least partially random, so that next time REE is
updated, it will be different (and impossible to guess...)

Cheers

Cyrille

On Jun 29, 9:38 am, Greg Fairbrother <gtfairbrot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28/06/2009, at 8:47 PM, Cyrille wrote:
>
> > However the first problem I noticed is that REE is not installed. I am
> > completely new to deprec, so I might be way off the mark, but from the
> > code, it seems to download:
>
> >http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/ruby-enterprise-1.8.6-20090610.t...

Cyrille

Jun 28, 2009, 7:48:10 PM6/28/09
to deprec - deployment recipes for capistrano
Hi guys,

just a thought:

You could make the downloads to support redirects and then manage the
URLs centrally, say on your site.

So you would define the following redirects:

http://deprec.failmode.com/ree ->
http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/58677/ruby-enterprise-1.8.6-20090610.tar.gz
Same thing for Passenger, Apache, etc.

Then installing REE would simply go to http://deprec.failmode.com/ree
(and redirect to the right place).

It is a bit more work because you have to maintain the URLs BUT:

1) the complex URLs are externalized and not buried way deep in the
code
2) you are in control of them instead of depending on RubyForge not
changing their convention...