deprec-2.0.9 fixes problem installing REE+Passenger

Mike Bailey

Apr 14, 2009, 11:09:00 PM4/14/09
to deprec - deployment recipes for capistrano
deprec-2.0.9 is now on rubyforge. Install it with:

sudo gem install deprec

A problem came up whereby the REE installer installs the latest gem
but deprec can't know what version that will be. The Apache config
files for Passenger need to include the full path to the gem (which
includes the gem version).

Hongli Lai wrote to say that, "The next version of the REE installer
provides an option to disable
automatic installation of gems. This way you can install a specific
Phusion Passenger version afterward."

I've upped the passenger gem version to 2.1.3 and tested however I
think a more lasting answer is for deprec to install a specific
version of the Passenger gem itself. It then shouldn't matter if the
REE installer installs a newer version. Does anyone want to implement
that and test it?

- Mike

mgrif...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2009, 7:04:06 PM6/6/09
to deprec - deployment recipes for capistrano
Hi,

I have tried using deprec-2.0.9 and am getting the same error except
the version being used is 2.2.2 while the configuration is still
2.1.3.

Is there a way I can force it to use the correct version?

Sorry am fairly new to this, have tried editing the lib/deprec/recipes/
app/passenger.rb file (on my local machine) to use version 2.2.2 but
had no luck,

Where is it getting this configuration information from?

Thanks
-Matt

Greg Fairbrother

Jun 7, 2009, 6:27:17 PM6/7/09
to deprec...@googlegroups.com

On 07/06/2009, at 9:04 AM, mgrif...@gmail.com wrote:

> Sorry am fairly new to this, have tried editing the lib/deprec/
> recipes/
> app/passenger.rb file (on my local machine) to use version 2.2.2 but
> had no luck,
>
> Where is it getting this configuration information from?

there are 2 places you'll need to edit in:

lib/deprec/recipes/app/passenger.rb

line 10
- "#{ree_install_dir}/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/passenger-2.1.3"
+ "#{ree_install_dir}/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/passenger-2.2.2"

line 31
- :version => 'release-2.1.3', # Specify a tagged release to
deploy
+ :version => 'release-2.2.2', # Specify a tagged release to
deploy

you'll need to edit the source of the installed gem, you can find this
by doing

gem environment

and looking for the gem in the directories listed under the section

- GEM PATHS:

after I changed those two lines it worked for me with passenger 2.2.2

Greg
--
Greg Fairbrother
p 07 5656 9696 m 0421 006618

mgrif...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2009, 5:40:37 PM6/9/09
to deprec - deployment recipes for capistrano
Hi Greg,

Thanks for this - I had actually changed both of these lines, however
your comment made me double check which pointed me to the issue - i
had managed to install the gem twice (once with sudo and once
without).

So a silly error, but adding it here just incase anyone else makes the
same mistake.

Thanks
Matt.

Greg Fairbrother

Jun 9, 2009, 7:26:36 PM6/9/09
to deprec...@googlegroups.com
there is a gem called find_gem which helps with this, you can just do:

find_gem deprec
> /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/deprec-2.0.9

and even:

edit_gem deprec

and it will open the gem in your editor.

Greg

mgrif...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2009, 6:06:53 AM6/10/09
to deprec - deployment recipes for capistrano
Ah that will certainly help in future, thanks Greg