deploy problem after deprec upgrade to 2.0.13

Greg Pederson

Aug 2, 2009, 8:31:12 PM8/2/09
to deprec - deployment recipes for capistrano
Can anyone share the easiest way to fix a failing deploy on an app
that was set up with deprec 1.99.27?

I upgraded my deprec gem to 2.0.13 and now my older apps are failing
cap deploy with
What I'm getting is:

* executing "sudo -p 'sudo password: ' chown app_ifc /home/gspederson/
public_html/ifc/shared/log/mongrel.log"
servers: ["209.20.76.23"]
[209.20.76.23] executing command
** [out :: 209.20.76.23] chown:
** [out :: 209.20.76.23] invalid user: `app_ifc'
** [out :: 209.20.76.23]
command finished
*** [deploy:symlink] rolling back
* executing "ls -xt /home/gspederson/public_html/ifc/releases"
servers: ["209.20.76.23"]
[209.20.76.23] executing command
command finished
* executing "rm -f /home/gspederson/public_html/ifc/current; ln -s /
home/gspederson/public_html/ifc/releases/20090704221548 /home/
gspederson/public_html/ifc/current; true"
servers: ["209.20.76.23"]
[209.20.76.23] executing command
command finished
*** [deploy:update_code] rolling back
* executing "rm -rf /home/gspederson/public_html/ifc/releases/
20090803001656; true"
servers: ["209.20.76.23"]
[209.20.76.23] executing command
command finished
failed: "sh -c \"sudo -p 'sudo password: ' chown app_ifc /home/
gspederson/public_html/ifc/shared/log/mongrel.log\"" on 209.20.76.23

I was thinking I might either be able to set config.gem in
environment.rb to specify the gem version, or I could do cap
deploy:setup again.

Since I'm working with a production app I thought I'd ask for advice
from the group first.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Greg

Mike Bailey

Aug 2, 2009, 9:38:37 PM8/2/09
to deprec...@googlegroups.com
1.99 -> 2.0 included big changes.

You would be best to keep using the old version for the legacy production app untill you get a chance to redeploy using new deprec.

- Mike

Greg Pederson

Aug 3, 2009, 1:40:25 PM8/3/09
to deprec...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback Mike.  Can I push my luck and ask another question?  I have some apps that use deprec 2.0 and others that use deprec 1.99.27, what should I do to automate/tie a deprec version to an app?  I tried putting
config.gem "deprec", :version => '1.99.27'
into my environment.rb file, but that then I had to install that version on my production server and then the app wouldn't boot and complained about uninitialized constant Capistrano...cap gem was installed on the machine so it maybe it had to do with depify, or capify??  Not sure, but I don't think installing those gems on my server is probably the right thing anyway.

The work around was to gem uninstall deprec 2.0 and then do my cap deploy.

Thanks,
Greg
--
Greg Pederson