capistrano deprec rvm conflict

MKA

May 5, 2011, 1:32:29 PM5/5/11
to deprec - deployment recipes for capistrano
i set up a rails 3.1 edge app using rvm.
bundling the capistrano and deprec gems works fine.
starting the app fails with a load error.

i suspect it has to do with the RVM filepath issue, but haven't been
able to find a solution after lots of googling.

there several fixes for setting rvm paths in deploy.rb so bundler can
find capistrano there.
this feels similar in that bundler can't find capistrano again when

anyone else experiencing the same thing?
thoughts on where to override the loadpath in the gem?

would appreciate any help or pointers.

m.

the error looks like:

$ rails c
/my-user-path/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@deprec/gems/capistrano-2.5.21/
lib/capistrano/configuration/loading.rb:18:in `instance': Please
require this file from within a Capistrano recipe (LoadError)
from /my-user-path/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@deprec/gems/deprec-2.1.19/
lib/deprec/recipes/canonical.rb:10:in `<top (required)>'
from /my-user-path/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@deprec/gems/deprec-2.1.19/
lib/deprec/recipes_minus_rails.rb:5:in `require'
from /my-user-path/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@deprec/gems/deprec-2.1.19/
lib/deprec/recipes_minus_rails.rb:5:in `<top (required)>'
from /my-user-path/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@deprec/gems/deprec-2.1.19/
lib/deprec/recipes.rb:6:in `require'
from /my-user-path/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@deprec/gems/deprec-2.1.19/
lib/deprec/recipes.rb:6:in `<top (required)>'
from /my-user-path/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@deprec/gems/deprec-2.1.19/
lib/deprec.rb:7:in `require'
from /my-user-path/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@deprec/gems/deprec-2.1.19/
lib/deprec.rb:7:in `<top (required)>'
from /my-user-path/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@deprec/gems/bundler-1.0.12/
lib/bundler/runtime.rb:68:in `require'
from /my-user-path/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@deprec/gems/bundler-1.0.12/
lib/bundler/runtime.rb:68:in `block (2 levels) in require'
from /my-user-path/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@deprec/gems/bundler-1.0.12/
lib/bundler/runtime.rb:66:in `each'
from /my-user-path/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@deprec/gems/bundler-1.0.12/
lib/bundler/runtime.rb:66:in `block in require'
from /my-user-path/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@deprec/gems/bundler-1.0.12/
lib/bundler/runtime.rb:55:in `each'
from /my-user-path/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@deprec/gems/bundler-1.0.12/
lib/bundler/runtime.rb:55:in `require'
from /my-user-path/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@deprec/gems/bundler-1.0.12/
lib/bundler.rb:120:in `require'
from /my-user-path/code/sandbox/deprec/config/application.rb:7:in
`<top (required)>'
from /my-user-path/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@deprec/bundler/gems/rails-
e59491355e92/railties/lib/rails/commands.rb:37:in `require'
from /my-user-path/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@deprec/bundler/gems/rails-
e59491355e92/railties/lib/rails/commands.rb:37:in `<top (required)>'
from script/rails:6:in `require'
from script/rails:6:in `<main>'

Mike Bailey

May 27, 2011, 12:02:15 PM5/27/11
to deprec - deployment recipes for capistrano
Sorry for the delay in responding.

I'm not using rvm so can't help with this one. Did you manage to find
a solution?

- Mike

MKA

May 31, 2011, 2:21:35 PM5/31/11
to deprec - deployment recipes for capistrano
No, not yet. I put it aside after posting here to see whether I had
missed something basic.

I'll let you know what I find out as I dig in. Sitting on edge rails,
so I was going to wait for things to settle a bit.

Also, I'm going to try adding a couple of RVM specific recipes and see
where that takes me first.
Why worry about the deploy task if I can't automate the entire process
that comes before it, right?

Using RVM on production is pretty hairy with all the added
dependencies and cries out for automation -- and deprec would be
perfect fit for the task.

Thanks for all your work on this. It's truly a gem.

m.