What are your biggest obstacles?

1 view

Gerry Kirk

Mar 22, 2007, 9:48:29 AM3/22/07
to deoweb...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to know what are the biggest challenges for you in getting more out of DeoWeb in your parish. Some possibilities:

- system hard to use
- priest not interested or supportive
- not enough help to manage content

What is your achilles heel?

Regards,

Gerry Kirk
General Manager
Faith Online

www.deoweb.com - communications know-how + appropriate technology for the gospel
www.faithonline.com - simple and easy to use church web sites
gerrykirk.wordpress.com - insights on church and technology

Grenier

Mar 22, 2007, 11:48:41 AM3/22/07
to deoweb...@googlegroups.com, Bernard Legault
My biggest chalenge at this time is to get access.

Jean R. Grenier, Saint-Sébastien
jrgrenier

Doreen Merkas

Mar 22, 2007, 1:48:17 PM3/22/07
to deoweb...@googlegroups.com
My biggest challenges in getting more out of DeoWeb in my parish is ...
    - those who trained and agreed to write news items for their committees are not interested in doing so (working with volunteers one cannot push too hard)
    - I do my best to keep updates posted and encourage parishioners to check out our website (so does the Pastor on occasions where it is warranted)
    - I spend anywhere between 2 and 3 hours a week posting on the website (I wish I had time to do more)

Doreen
St. John the Evangelist
Mar 22, 2007, 3:03:38 PM3/22/07
to deoweb...@googlegroups.com
My biggest obstacle is getting six (6) e.mails from various group members asking what is my biggest obstacle.

Can we do something to prevent this so we only get one inquiry?

Carol Baye
Manitouwadge

Mar 22, 2007, 3:08:29 PM3/22/07
to deoweb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gerry

Hello everyone.

I'm having pretty well the same problems noted in other posts.

  • Hard to get the parish administrator interested in participating. ( Has no time )
  • No committee to gather or prepare information that could be posted on the site (not enough help ).
  • Made a few attempts to get parishioners to even sign up to become members just to belong to the Parish site (only received 2 ) so lack of interest - of course I suppose if we had more timely information posted on our site it might create more interest.
  • I've noticed that some of the larger parishes already had their own private website in operation and most have chosen to stay with what they were familiar with and have made no attempts to work their Deoweb site.
  • As I see it my biggest problem is finding a way to interest more participants who of course would have to receive a certain amount of training ( more time needed to do this ).  Need more people to actually gather and prepare material to be posted (small parishes have few people willing to do this ).
  • I guess most people have agreed to do this on a volunteer basis but more than a few hours a week are required to manage all aspects, so unless the work is shared by more people it becomes much more difficult.

Don't give up.  I still think this was a great idea.  It appears motivating people to participate is the biggest obstacle.

Bill Thompson  (  thom...@gmail.com )
Paroisse Ste Famille - Blind River ( Holy Family Parish).

Mar 22, 2007, 3:26:56 PM3/22/07
to deoweb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carol and anyone else annoyed by the number of emails coming through,

First off I'm glad to see many people sharing their thoughts. The purpose of the list is to share and discuss, support and encourage each other's efforts.

There are different options for receiving emails for the list. The default setting for this mailing list is to receive each email that someone posts as it comes. There is an option to receive one email per day as a digest of all the emails posted that day. Perhaps that would be more preferable to you. You can change your preferred setting by following the instructions here - http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=46605

Another option is to create a folder in your email program where all of these discussions would go. Create a filter or rule that automatically routes messages to that folder. The following link explains how to set up message rules in Outlook Express - http://www.helpdesk.umd.edu/topics/email/general/853/

For this email list, you would specify all messages sent to deoweb...@googlegroups.com to be moved to a folder.

Hope that helps.

- Gerry

St. Casimirs

Mar 22, 2007, 7:27:42 PM3/22/07
to deoweb...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Yes, you have connection with  St. Casimr’s Church- fr boguslaw jaroszek

<BR<BR

gkirk

Mar 29, 2007, 10:16:29 AM3/29/07
to DeoWeb Users
Seems like a common challenge is finding people to help out with the
site, which in my opinion comes down to two things:

1. people are busy - the usual volunteers do most of the work around
the parish
2. people don't see the value - maintaining the site is just extra
'work'

How can we get around this common barrier?

- Gerry

On Mar 22, 2:16 pm, "St. Patrick's Church" <stpatri...@unitz.ca>
wrote:

> I have several challenges:
> - To maintain the site properly is a time-consuming task. We don't have the resources to pay someone to do it and it is difficult to find a volunteer(s) willing to devote that amount of time to it.
> - The program is not user friendly
> - Training is difficult to arrange
> - Our priest is not computer literate....therefore he is not looking at the site to add his suggestions or wishes
> - The most I have been able to do consistently is to publish the bulletin.
> Lorrie Gates
> St. Patrick's Parish

> stpatri...@untiz.ca

gkirk

Mar 29, 2007, 10:37:40 AM3/29/07
to DeoWeb Users
Very thoughtful reply, Bill. We are also dealing with an inertia
issue. People are used to doing things a certain way, why break the
mold? There needs to be compelling enough reasons.

Things like making information more accessible, providing information
that couldn't be obtained otherwise, bringing people closer together.

Perhaps the key is to try and do some things *totally different* on
the web, things that wouldn't be possible otherwise.

What might those be? Here are some of my own ideas:

1. Use the parish forum to enable parishioners to help one another.
Post requests and offers. I just started on at St. Gerard Majella, and
without any in-parish promotion, some connections were made. The forum
is called Hidden Treasures. http://stgerard.diocesessm.org/forum/ForumNB.2007-01-26.0473183766

2. Find someone to be a parish photographer. Take photos of events and
upload them to the web.

I had some success recruiting young people from our parish - 5 if I
can recall. The problem I then ran into was the parish priest, whose
time I could never seem to get to coordinate things.

Out of curiosity, Bill, what parishes are maintaining another web
site? I hadn't heard of this until now.

- Gerry

> Bill Thompson ( thompb...@gmail.com )

> Paroisse Ste Famille - Blind River ( Holy Family Parish).

bphd...@ontera.net

Apr 1, 2007, 9:13:33 PM4/1/07
to DeoWeb Users
Hi Gerry, Barry here, after a lapse due to injury, I hoped to find
Deoweb on the overall activated, but reading some of these comments I
find a lot of dormant areas and I am wondering if the marketing
programme to promote Deoweb has gone the way of the Dodo Bird, from my
general area of 5 parishes, there is absolutely no interest and
contacting people hits a brick wall, I hope you have an Easy Button to
rectify, good luck.