Web use

bgl...@sympatico.ca

Feb 24, 2007, 10:02:40 PM2/24/07
to DeoWeb Users
I am the web manager for the Knights of Columbus sections of both the
Dioweb and St Andrew the Apostle Church. I struggle with wheather or
not it is worth the effort to manage a web page because I have had
only one inquiry since it was initiated well over a year ago. Is there
any way to know how many hits your web page gets in a given time
period? Brian

WBarbeau

Feb 25, 2007, 9:30:45 AM2/25/07
to deoweb...@googlegroups.com
Its worth it, sometimes it takes a while.YOU COULD REQUEST THE
INDIVIDUAL CHURCH WEB
PAGE ADMIN IN YOUR AREA INCLUDE A LINK ON THEIR PAGE.
I LOOK AFTER 2 WEB PAGES
here are the links with /reports added that will give you lotsa info
on your site page
http://blessedsacrament.diocesessm.org/reports/
and my home parish
http://olmountcarmel.diocesessm.org/reports/
if you clik on the month year in blue you will get more detail, I dont
know if you can get into actual report
on individual pages etc youll have to ask Gerry Kirk.
You have nice Parish site I would add some photo albums and/or
multimedia clips to your Kof C page
If I can assist just shout,
Wayne Barbeau

Gerry Kirk

Feb 28, 2007, 11:17:48 AM2/28/07
to deoweb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

Thanks for sharing your frustrations. I have a question for you, and then some observations / suggestions:

What are your goals for communicating via the web? You have different audiences to reach. I can think of 4:
  1. K of C members in your parish
  2. K of C members in your community
  3. Potential new members
  4. Parishioners and community members who want to be informed / get involved in K of C events / actions
You need to have a plan for each group. What information needs to be communicated, and how will people receive it? Do you get people to come to the site or send out the information or both?

Ways to increase exposure to your section
  1. Publish events to the newspaper. Choose 'publish to newspaper' for events that people outside your parish might want to get involved in.
  2. Promote events ahead of time with a news item. It's fine to add events to the calendar, but you'll get lots more attention if you write a little news blurb about them as well.
  3. Add some fun content. Take photos of people at events and include them with a write-up of the event. People love to see themselves on the web! Be sure to ask adults if it is ok to put their photo on the web first. I guarantee you they will be looking for it soon after and telling all their friends. (grin)
  4. Get more people signed up to the parish newsletter. This gets your content delivered to their email inbox once a week, without any additional effort on your part. Get every Knight in your parish to register on the parish web site and check the option to receive the newsletter. You can even sign up people yourself if that makes it easier to get it done (and people don't mind). Have the parish secretary include a little blurb in every bulletin inviting people to sign up to receive news electronically.
  5. How is the parish web site being promoted in the parish? Is the web address on the bulletin? I don't see a lot of new content on the web site. You can include short blurbs in the bulletin that reference content on the web.
Those are some quick thoughts. Hope that helps. Let's keep the dialogue going!

Gerry
DeoWeb Communications Team
--
Anatole France - "It is human nature to think wisely and act in an absurd fashion."