Setting up Sql Server Reporting Services 2008 on Vista

Ed Hawkes

Sep 10, 2009, 1:54:40 AM9/10/09
to denv...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
quick question - I set up Sql Server Express 2008 on my home computer which is running 32 bit Vista Business edition. It's working fine in terms of the management studio but I am having problems configuring Reporting Services. When I go to the Reporting Services Configuration Manager it can't find my server. I get Invalid Class or Invalid Namespace.

Does anyone know if this configuration (Vista Business and Sql Server Express 2008 Reporting Services) is feasible? All the research I have done talks about 2005 RS on Vista. If it is, do you have any links that detail the steps to get this installed?

Thanks,
Ed Hawkes

SteveW

Sep 10, 2009, 1:00:51 PM9/10/09
to Denver Sql User Group
I have not heard of that specific error, but after some searching
found this posting on the MSDN forums that might help:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/e90c853b-6018-41b0-9dd1-abd2ac872f16

I had SSRS2005 working on my Vista box, but I never tried to get
SQL2008 setup on it. I know that SSRS2008 works fine in Server 2008
and Windows 7 (after getting things setup running IE in administrator
mode).

The other thing that I am wondering is if the version of SQL Server
2008 Express that you installed has SSRS included. As far as I know
only SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services actually includes
SSRS. See this link from Microsoft that shows what is included with
each version of Express and has the appropriate download links:
http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/download/

Hope this helps.

Steve
Message has been deleted