350 Home & Garden Challenge!

1 view

Living Mandala

May 1, 2011, 11:45:51 AM5/1/11
Dear Friend,

Have you heard?

On May 14th & 15th, thousands of people across the country will rise to the challenge to create more sustainable, resilient communities by participating in the 350 Home & Garden Challenge!

The 350 Garden Challenge was inspired in part by the 350.org's international campaign to find and implement solutions to climate change.

Coming off the incredible success of 628 garden actions in Sonoma County, California in a single weekend in the spring of 2010, this year the 350 Home & Garden Challenge is going national engaging citizens, organizations, local businesses, media and civic leaders to grow food, save water & conserve energy to strengthen the resiliency of local communities across the country.

Lead nationally by Transition U.S., this exciting initiative has brought on partners such as 350.org, Post-Carbon institute, Victory garden Foundation, Chelsea Green Publishing, Evolver, BALLE, YES Magazine, and a growing number of transition initiatives, inspired citizens, and community activists from east to west.

So what exactly is the 350 Home & Garden Challenge?

You as an individual in your community can identify a specific project or action in one or more of the four challenge areas: food, water, energy and community. All we ask is for you to stand up and be counted by registering your project or action so we can document the strength and impact of this movement and show the world just how powerful we are when we stand together as local communities and as a country taking responsibility for our future.

Why 350?

For all of human history until about 200 years ago, our atmosphere contained 275 parts per million of carbon dioxide. 350 parts per million is the number that scientists, climate experts, and progressive national governments are now saying is the safe upper limit for CO2 in our atmosphere to avert drastic climate change. We are currently at 390 and climbing.  Unless we are able to rapidly return to below 350 ppm this century, we risk reaching a tipping point of irreversible change on the ecological systems we know and are dependent upon which will impact all life as we know it.

We can turn this challenge into an opportunity to come together to create real solutions to the climate crisis, to stregthen our resiliency and self-relience, and to build the world we have always dreamed to live in.

Stand up and Be Counted! Register Your Action Today!

Sign-up as a Community Organizer

What we learned last year is that success of the 350 Home & Garden Challenge at the community level really was due to the efforts of a local organizing team. The 350 Home & Garden Challenge has created Toolkits to assist local organizing teams to be successful in their initiatives. These Toolkits are available on the Transition US Website. Once you sign up as a community organizer, you will be invited to participate in informational webinars for the 350 Home & Garden Challenge hosted by Transition US, which will occur at 11 am PST until the weekend of May 14-15. Sign Up as a Community Organizer Today.

Get Involved!

Big challenges require an inspired vision and bold action. We are asking for your support to spread the word, engage your friends, neighbors, social groups, churches, co-workers, and civic leaders.

The best way to make this country more food, water, and energy independent is to do it ourselves.

It’s our community and WE make a difference... especially when we work together.

Stand Up, Be Counted, Tell Your Friends, and Join the 350 Home & Garden Challenge Today!

Living Mandala
Organizing Education, Events & Initiatives for Personal & Planetary Transformation
350 Home & Garden Challenge
Grow Food, Save Water, Conserve Energy, Build Community