RE: Article on Domestic Drones

b...@windwavesandsun.com

Mar 6, 2013, 12:49:40 PM3/6/13
to denver-co-ar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Taylor,

You're in the right place.
I suggest you attend the annual sparkfun autonomous vehicle challenge.

I also suggest you balance the benefits of cars with the reality of collisions;
the benefits of steam engines with the occasional boiler explosion,
the benefits of vaccines with the odd overreaction,

I understand that what bleeds leads, but the next frontier is a permanent settlement in the atmosphere, and this frontier offers more potential benefits to humankind than space - cellphones that find lost children in the back country, Internet services for children in remote villages, minimal use of pesticides and nitrogen and water based on daily crop imaging, immediate delivery of an Automatic Defibrillator, blood tests at clinics around town and in remote areas delivered immediately to the lab; the end of the high-crime neighborhood, etc... And they advance the counter-1984 narrative in which the people, rather than the government, have cameras everywhere, and are the watchers of the Police.

In short, Consumer drones can provide a new standard of living for ordinary people which now only exists for the very rich - and the rich will oppose this at every turn by scare tactics because it threatens their monopoly on the good life, the private plane, the concierge health care, the locally farmed fresh organic produce, the clean drinking water: Drones engage the challenges of our time, from security, corruption, and crime, to health, the environment, and cleaner drinking water, all of the false promises of cheap space flight (see Shuttle, Space) are being realized in cheap access to a much nearer space.

Best,
Benjamin