DIY Drones

Allen Bishop

May 9, 2011, 12:25:10 PM5/9/11
to denver-co-ar...@googlegroups.com

Hello:

I am a developer of robotics in Lafayette, CO and am interested in buying the ArduCopter with all the “trimmings” as a test platform.

I need the following functionality:

Autopilot (ArduPilot Mega??)

GPS hold

Waypoint capability

Color/High Res camera

Video down-link (live)

Telemetry (reporting signal strength, battery status, etc.)

Flight times of at least 30 minutes (using LiPo)

I have already downloaded the base station software.

Will the following order fulfill my requirements?

Anything I should be aware of prior to ordering?

UDrones:

                Arducopter Quad

                GPS MediaTek

                Full 2-Way Telemetry

                USB Mini-cable

I can be reached at (303) 437-7835 Cell

I am a current AMA member and have been flying R/C for 30+ years.

Thank you.

Allen Bishop

Lafayette, CO

mtmentat

May 9, 2011, 8:04:11 PM5/9/11
to Denver-CO-Area-UAV-Flyers
Hi, Allen.

I'm not very experienced with quad copters, but just noticed/have a
few thoughts about what you've posted above.
The Arducopter Quad w/gps w/telemetry doesn't come with a video camera
so you'll have to buy that/install it, too.
The telemetry kit is limited (I think) to 156 kbps, so you'll have to
tailor your video choice to not be overwhelming your data link
(keeping in mind that you also will be reporting position/battery
life).
30 minutes... ...anyone out there that has flown quad copters might be
able to confirm: that seems like a LONG time to be in the air with
four brushless motors humming.
http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/is-it-just-a-question-of

Very green, but noticing things,
Zak

Allen Bishop

May 9, 2011, 8:37:26 PM5/9/11
to denver-co-ar...@googlegroups.com
Zak:

Thank you for the quick response. I have learned sooooo much in the past
month.

If you like, check out the following web site:

http://www.microdrones.com/index-en.php

They are using their own proprietary software solution which is why the
MD4-200 sells for $30k and the MD4-1000 sells for $70k.

The 200 gets about 30 minutes of flight time with a 200g payload (basically
a camera). The 1000 gets up to one hour with a 800g payload.

I ordered the DIY Quad Copter which I will be using as a test platform to
validate the control software, navigation system including GPS and the
telemetry links.

I have a separate 900 MHz transmitter which will send my video stream back
to the ground station. For testing I will be using a very small pinhole
camera just to validate signal quality and continuity during flight.

I have already begun the design and prototype of a new airframe which will
use larger motors and props to increase the required lift to accommodate the
increase in batteries and payload of a larger HD and Thermal camera.

I will keep the blog up to date on my progress and I am sure I will have
many questions for everyone.

Thank you again for the quick reply.

If you like you can see my SWAT robot on my facebook page.

Talk or text to you soon.

Allen