Opinion on TURNIGY 9 Channel 2.4 GHz Radio System

humvee

May 11, 2011, 8:11:19 PM5/11/11
to Denver-CO-Area-UAV-Flyers
I have noticed a number of ads for the TURNIGY 9X radio. It is a 9
channel (PCM) or 8 channel (PPM) but the price is really interesting.
It is listed by Hobby King for $53.79 and that includes the receiver.
I have always paid upwards of $400 for my Futaba 9 channel radios.

Anyone have any experience with this unit? I am looking for a
"reliable" radio for my Quad-Copter.

Regards,

Allen (HUMVEE)

Doug Weibel

May 11, 2011, 8:49:00 PM5/11/11
to denver-co-ar...@googlegroups.com
I have one, and have owned a large number of Spektrum and JR radios for comparison.

The T9X radio I have is module based, and I use it with a Spektrum module, so as far as the reliability from the RF section to the receiver it is equivalent.  The big downfall with the T9X is the programming, which is really horrible.  I spent 2 hours trying to program a mix on it that on any of the other radio's I've ever tried would have taken 5 minutes.  Also, while it is certainly functional, it is not of the same quality as "name brand" radios.  And finally, before you buy it, read the manual.  If you do you will know why I said to read it ;)

So, depending on why you want it, it can be a great deal.  I would not want it for my primary radio, but it is great for certain purposes.

DougW

Doug B

May 11, 2011, 9:05:23 PM5/11/11
to denver-co-ar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Allen,

On the plus side the 9x is very hackable with after market stuff like a backlit screen which HobbyKing sells. For the price, if your willing to spend some time with it it's a pretty good deal.

Also look at this thread, its a good start

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/hacking-the-turnigy-9x

DougB

Allen Bishop

May 11, 2011, 9:55:11 PM5/11/11
to denver-co-ar...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Doug.

After I sent out the blog I did some searching online and found a number of not-so-kind reviews.  I think I will stay with the 9 channel Spectrum.  It is a known quantity and will do exactly what I need it to do.

Thanks again for the info.

Allen

Doug Weibel

May 11, 2011, 10:30:40 PM5/11/11
to denver-co-ar...@googlegroups.com

For my personal use I just switched from the JR9303 to the Spektrum DX8.  Me actually needing 9 channels versus 8 is unlikely, and the DX8 has lots of advantages (more switches, more flexible programming, and telemetry to name a few).  I keep the T9X around for doing amplified long range stuff, and for a backup.

Andy Theimer

Nov 3, 2012, 10:21:28 AM11/3/12
to denver-co-ar...@googlegroups.com
I have a 9x mod'ed and running er9x, replaced the radios with frsky stuff, installed the programmer board, added the 6 pos "flight mode" switch, everything except showing telemetry on-screen.

All mods were pretty easy and she flied my quad really well.

Mark Colwell

Nov 3, 2012, 12:21:58 PM11/3/12
to denver-co-ar...@googlegroups.com
I have had TG-9 for a year and found it to be a good radio, I inspected radio for solder balls and found a few. I added the FrSky module, back light and telemetry display all good so far. A new tx model will soon be released, you my want to wait for your next purchase.

ni8av8r

Dec 5, 2012, 8:11:08 PM12/5/12
to denver-co-ar...@googlegroups.com
I have two 9x radios, one stock and the other modified with back light, a JR compatible "orange" Tx module from HK, and a programing board from SmartieParts. I am pleased with the radio. It is cheap, it is flexible, but its original software had a horrible menu system. I enjoy hacking but if you don't then stick with the big name brands with proven performance. If you do like to hack, go for it! I've been flying a Turnigy Talon Quad V2 with it and it seems fine. Anyone considering the new Open LRS module for the T9x?

Doug Weibel

Dec 6, 2012, 9:16:02 AM12/6/12
to denver-co-ar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Allen,

I have kept a 9X radio around for the past couple years as a backup, and have had Spektrum/JR radios as my primary radio.  I cannot imagine flying my RC models with the 9X as my primary radio - sure it would work but the ergonomics and the gimbal quality are that of a cheap radio.  If you want to do a lot of hand flying then you may find the 9X very annoying.  However, if you are just looking for a radio for your quad and plan to mostly fly the quad using a lot of stabilization then the 9X will get the job done.

Doug

HangerRat

Dec 6, 2012, 10:25:04 AM12/6/12
to denver-co-ar...@googlegroups.com
I use a Turnigy 9X flashed with ER9X almost every day, and have since this past summer. Works great, the ER9X programming firmware is outstanding and very well supported. I use the FrSky 2.4 Ghz modules and a TSLRS UHF system (12ch) for long distance. Once flashed with ER9X it supports 12 channels. Both transmitter modules work very well with this radio.

#1 - er9x - sticks needed recalibration very often. I sold it for parts
#2 - er9x - works great! I fly with it every day
#3 - would not even power on, had to send back to HK for refund
#4 - er9x - right stick will not move 'the on screen dot' to travel the full range of aileron control (left / right). The elevator 'dot' moves fully up and down, but aileron does not. I have recalibrated a number of times. This radio has been sent to Dave/Helibatics for 'fixing'.

As you can see there is some inconsistency in this product. The general consensus is that the 9X radios from Hobby King are the lowest quality/QA'd. Units from FlySky, ErSky are better. I would use this radio only after flashing the firmware with ER9X, which is easy to do with the SmartieParts card/programmer installation.

Finally, if I were to purchase another 9X radio I would simply buy it from Dave/Helibatics and save myself a lot of headaches:

http://www.helibatics.com/turnigy-9x--frsky-djt.html     when you add up all the mods, and compare his price it is a good deal.

He modifies the 9X radios by inspecting and correcting any basic flaws (bad solders, uncalibrated, etc), he install the USB programmer and flashes it with ER9X, he can install the FrSky mods that allows you to receive FrSky telemetry right on the 9X screen. Since I use the FrSky 2.4 modules anyway this is a win-win.  Dave can really take the uncertainty out of purchasing one of these radios AND do the mods that it should have anyway. I don't mean to make this sound like a commercial, but after having seen the QA issues first hand, and yet owning one that works great, Helibatics service is a bargain. Especially compared to a more expensive programmable radio. I can't really compare a 9X to an expensive Spektrum radio, I've never owned one. But there you go, one man's opinion.

There is lots of support on the web for programming/mixing/mods the 9X.

Good luck with your decision,
Mike

HangerRat

Dec 13, 2012, 5:50:08 PM12/13/12
to denver-co-ar...@googlegroups.com
Update to my post and specifically my #4 Turnigy 9X (see above). Just got it back from Helibatics yesterday. Works great!  Everything calibrated, and stays that way, full stock, switch, pot movements. He installed the backlight and the ER9X firmware with FrSky telemetry mods inside, to work with my existing FrSky transmitter modules.

So for about $160 (total: orig. purchase + Helibatics work) I now have a very good radio that is 'cleaned up', very programmable, and able to work with the FrSky modules. Flew today with it for about 45 minutes FPV on my Bixler, stayed within 1 km of launch.