Links and hello

Simon Forman

Apr 21, 2012, 3:42:47 PM4/21/12
to dendrite...@googlegroups.com
Hey, here are some links to the various moving parts of the dendrite network.  Please feel free to ask me questions if anything is unclear (and, at this point, pretty much everything is unclear.)

Main site:
http://dendritenetwork.com/

Register URLs here to get "tags" for them:
http://dendritenetwork.com/register

Blog where most of the info and docs reside:
http://firequery.blogspot.com/

Cool animated interactive demo of network growth:
http://dendritenetwork.com/d3demo

More recent blog post about the demo site:
http://firequery.blogspot.com/2012/04/demo-dendrite-network.html

Older blog post describing the idea:
http://firequery.blogspot.com/2012/04/so-what-is-this-dendrite-network-anyway.html

Development is happening on GitHub:
https://github.com/calroc/dendrite-network

File bug reports here:
https://github.com/calroc/dendrite-network/issues/new

Stirling Westrup

Apr 22, 2012, 2:09:13 PM4/22/12
to dendrite...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I'm trying this thing out.  My tag is:

6a9c0e15f9df5f2886abcd824becc027

Simon Forman

Apr 22, 2012, 3:08:39 PM4/22/12
On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Stirling Westrup <swes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, I'm trying this thing out.  My tag is:
>
> 6a9c0e15f9df5f2886abcd824becc027

Oh awesome! To quote Deanna Troi, "great joy and gratitude, great joy
and gratitude".

I should post mine too I expect:

80a2fc2e4bec57ab9b00f6c44f7f8adb

So now if you want to propagate a site you would get a tag for it too
and construct an URL like so:

http://dendritenetwork.com/bump/{you}/{what}/{me}

...substituting the proper tags for the {you}, {what}, and {me} fields.

Then you send me that URL (through email or whatever means. This will
get streamlined fast no doubt.)

When I visit that URL it will show me your subject website underneath
the DN controls, and the "bump" event will appear in the log (
http://dendritenetwork.com/static/dn-logs/dendritenetwork.log ).

As you can imagine, it's a simple matter to scan that log file and
build up a graph for any subject tag showing the network of "memetic
contagion" growing over time.

It will be up to the site operators to use that information to reward
users/propagators in some way.

Anyhow, thanks so much for being willing to try this out Stiling! I
really appreciate it.
Cheers,
~Simon

Simon Forman

Apr 22, 2012, 3:09:55 PM4/22/12
to dendrite...@googlegroups.com
> Anyhow, thanks so much for being willing to try this out Stiling! I

**sigh**

I meant, of course, "Stirling"! lol To me, you're golden. ;)

Stirling Westrup

Apr 22, 2012, 3:37:10 PM4/22/12
to dendrite...@googlegroups.com
Okay, here's a bump of my (currently not too active) 'bulk rename' project.

http://tinyurl.com/7dumy2f

... or as the constructed URL:

http://dendritenetwork.com/bump/6a9c0e15f9df5f2886abcd824becc027/c88fc9a95ada863791caaf7065a2ca76/80a2fc2e4bec57ab9b00f6c44f7f8adb

I think this will need some (fairly simple) user friendliness upgrades
in order to ever catch on. For one thing, I can imagine wanting a tag
for a whole group of people...

--
Stirling Westrup
Programmer, Entrepreneur.

Simon Forman

Apr 22, 2012, 4:36:09 PM4/22/12
On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Stirling Westrup <swes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, here's a bump of my (currently not too active) 'bulk rename' project.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7dumy2f
>
> ... or as the constructed URL:
>
> http://dendritenetwork.com/bump/6a9c0e15f9df5f2886abcd824becc027/c88fc9a95ada863791caaf7065a2ca76/80a2fc2e4bec57ab9b00f6c44f7f8adb
>
> I think this will need some (fairly simple) user friendliness upgrades
> in order to ever catch on. For one thing, I can imagine wanting a tag
> for a whole group of people...

Oh holy yay! "The system works!" Lol!

I went to that URL and I saw the site. Wonderful! The "bump" event
shew'd up in the log. Fantastic!

(I've always been amuzed (amazed and amused) by the way I can find
deterministic systems doing their deterministic thing so ecstatically
amuzing.)

Thank you so much Stirling! As soon as someone else posts their
"avatar" tag I can forward it to them. (Amy, I'm looking at you...
lol)

And you're absolutely right. The very next thing on the list is a
simple facility for storing contacts in a cookie and "pre-computing"
Bump URLs ( and sending them somehow too eventually.)

It would be straightforward to add a facility to remember groups
(sets) of contacts and allow you to forward to the members of a tagged
group all at once just like you suggest. (I think I'll make a ticket
for that.)

Cheers!
~Simon

--
My blog: http://firequery.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/SimonForman

"The history of mankind for the last four centuries is rather like
that of an imprisoned sleeper, stirring clumsily and uneasily while
the prison that restrains and shelters him catches fire, not waking
but incorporating the crackling and warmth of the fire with ancient
and incongruous dreams, than like that of a man consciously awake to
danger and opportunity."  --H. P. Wells, "A Short History of the
World"

Dendrite-Network-First-Screenshot-Evar.png

Simon Forman

Apr 22, 2012, 4:42:12 PM4/22/12
On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Simon Forman <forman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Stirling Westrup <swes...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Okay, here's a bump of my (currently not too active) 'bulk rename' project.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/7dumy2f
>>
>> ... or as the constructed URL:
>>
>> http://dendritenetwork.com/bump/6a9c0e15f9df5f2886abcd824becc027/c88fc9a95ada863791caaf7065a2ca76/80a2fc2e4bec57ab9b00f6c44f7f8adb
>>
>> I think this will need some (fairly simple) user friendliness upgrades
>> in order to ever catch on. For one thing, I can imagine wanting a tag
>> for a whole group of people...
>
> Oh holy yay!  "The system works!" Lol!
>
> I went to that URL and I saw the site. Wonderful!  The "bump" event
> shew'd up in the log. Fantastic!
>
> (I've always been amuzed (amazed and amused) by the way I can find
> deterministic systems doing their deterministic thing so ecstatically
> amuzing.)
>
> Thank you so much Stirling!  As soon as someone else posts their
> "avatar" tag I can forward it to them. (Amy, I'm looking at you...
> lol)

[snip]

This is the (partial) pre-computed Bump URL with my tag in the {me}
slot and your Bulk Rename project's tag in the {what} slot:

http://dendritenetwork.com/bump/80a2fc2e4bec57ab9b00f6c44f7f8adb/c88fc9a95ada863791caaf7065a2ca76/<contact>

FWIW anyone can voluntarily "bump" off of this URL by replacing the
"<contact>" part with their avatar tag.

That's not normally how the network would work but it's possible.

~Simon

Jared Nuzzolillo

Apr 23, 2012, 5:50:28 PM4/23/12
to dendrite...@googlegroups.com
Hey Simon (and new friends!)

Here's mine!

Just so I understand, since I clicked to test, did I "pollute" the test by visiting my own link?

On Saturday, April 21, 2012 3:42:47 PM UTC-4, Simon Forman wrote:

Simon Forman

Apr 23, 2012, 6:06:12 PM4/23/12
to dendrite...@googlegroups.com
Awesome Jared! That link (I'm calling them "Bump URLs" but i dunno if
that will stick) is customized to me ('cause it has my tag at the end)
so normally you'd send it directly to me.

Then I'd "Forward" it to, say, Lane by moving my tag to the first slot
and appending his tag, like so:

http://dendritenetwork.com/bump/80a2fc2e4bec57ab9b00f6c44f7f8adb/ae02441ea508006dc1392d6b0ea24f85/04595950777b2bde977ace40b5e9fecc

There you go Lane, that URL's for you (and I'll also email it to you
directly in a few.)

And yes, when you went to the URL to test it a "false positive" was
recorded in the log.
http://dendritenetwork.com/static/dn-logs/dendritenetwork.log

I'm not worried. :) For now I'm leaving such things as open questions,
but you can imagine it wouldn't be too hard to implement various
safety checks.

Thanks again for participating! I'll email you a Bump URL or two in a
few minutes. ^_^
Ciao,
~Simon
> --
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/dendrite-network?hl=en.

Jared Nuzzolillo

Apr 23, 2012, 6:50:28 PM4/23/12
to dendrite...@googlegroups.com
Sure, that makes sense. I just wanted to make sure if you were testing you'd know that I visited it ;-)

I suspect that users will rarely feel the need to test these things anyways, since they'll have confidence due to the UI helping them form the links.

Very cool stuff.

Question: Let's add a hypothetical user, Paul. Say Lane makes the necessary edits and sends the Bump Link to Paul. Does the system somehow track that you were part of the chain? I know it will know that my link is part of it, and that Lane is part of it, but does it also somehow try to remember that Simon was involved? Just trying to figure out the implications.

Best,
Jared

Simon Forman

Apr 23, 2012, 7:01:25 PM4/23/12
to dendrite...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Jared Nuzzolillo
<onceupo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure, that makes sense. I just wanted to make sure if you were testing you'd
> know that I visited it ;-)

Right on. The webserver logs of course have the IP and user-agent
string, so in theory I could have figured that out. Merci! :)

> I suspect that users will rarely feel the need to test these things anyways,
> since they'll have confidence due to the UI helping them form the links.

I hope so, at least after the first few times.

In general we may have "cheating" and I haven't implemented any
automatic checking yet but I could.

However, the whole point is that you're generally communicating with
people you already know, and who have therefore a social dis-incentive
to fuck around.

Still, trollers gonna troll, y'know? It's still very early in the
lifecycle. Plenty of time too mess it up. lol

> Very cool stuff.

Muy mas merci!

> Question: Let's add a hypothetical user, Paul. Say Lane makes the necessary
> edits and sends the Bump Link to Paul. Does the system somehow track that
> you were part of the chain? I know it will know that my link is part of it,
> and that Lane is part of it, but does it also somehow try to remember that
> Simon was involved? Just trying to figure out the implications.

Yes. All the "bump" events are in the DN system log, so there's enough
information to build a graph of the spread of a given meme.

I intend to have clients that can scan the logs and build dynamic
visualizations like this one: http://dendritenetwork.com/d3demo

In effect, the DN forms a substratum or platform for watching,
participating in, and rewarding (or cancelling, "Reject" button yah?)
memetic propagation.

Eee!!
Much love,

Sarah Forman

Apr 25, 2012, 4:06:42 PM4/25/12
to dendrite...@googlegroups.com
Here's mine

You said to pick anything!
<3 <3 <3
Sarah

Simon Forman

Apr 25, 2012, 5:35:46 PM4/25/12
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Sarah Forman <forman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's mine
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_wolf
>
> You said to pick anything!
> <3 <3 <3
> Sarah

Right on!

Next you would go to http://dendritenetwork.com/register and get a tag
for it; I went ahead and did it for you (but if you want to try it
too, go for it, it won't hurt anything. ;)

Your tag is: 587bc352b19e8a5d15a3221a468c2124

So, now I can use that to make you an URL like this:

http://dendritenetwork.com/bump/80a2fc2e4bec57ab9b00f6c44f7f8adb/a9ea87623a5835900aee799eadec1c82/587bc352b19e8a5d15a3221a468c2124

or run it though a "shortening" service to make this:

http://is.gd/iOHq5u

Click on either of those and you'll see your "Bad Betty" the Movie
site under the DN controls.

You can use the "Forward" button to build your own URLs to send to
people. My tag is: 80a2fc2e4bec57ab9b00f6c44f7f8adb

Add the tag w/ a label using the form and a link will appear that will
add my tag to the URL in the green box automatically.

Then you can right click and do "copy link location" and paste it in
an email and send it to me...

WooooOOooo!

Hugs, <3
~Pete (Simon to y'all what aren't my sister! lol)