Expectation or Fear

Dena Grace

May 18, 2020, 8:47:25 AM5/18/20
to Dena's Ongoing Adventures

A216ADF2-5B2B-4D9E-B5E4-50A84F0269EE.jpeg

Expectation or Fear

The first Pentecost; men who walked, ministered and learned from Jesus were hiding in an upper room; some even debating returning to their former professions and scrapping the whole Jesus thing. They were hiding in fear; fear of being crucified, fear of persecution. Then Holy Spirit came. He came in power, in might, and with fire. The once fear-filled, hiding disciples were now boldly proclaiming Jesus’ gospel message. Most of them were crucified, martyred - all died of unnatural means but, they were unafraid. What a contrast - fearful and hiding, yet interceding, waiting as instructed vs bold and fearless, preaching to the masses, traveling, converting, joyfilled.

Before Jesus died, he had given them authority, commissioned them, and sent them to cast out demons and to heal:

“Jesus summoned together his twelve apostles and imparted to them authority over every demon and the power to heal every disease. Then he commissioned them to preach God’s kingdom realm and to heal the sick to demonstrate that the kingdom had arrived..:” Luke 9:1-2 TPT

“Now you understand that I have imparted to you all my authority to trample over his kingdom. You will trample upon every demon before you and overcome every power Satan possesses. Absolutely nothing will be able to harm you as you walk in this authority.” Luke 10:19 TPT

Jesus had already given them the Holy Spirit - after his resurrection in John 20:22-23 (TPT):

“Then, taking a deep breath, he blew on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. I send you to preach the forgiveness of sins—and people’s sins will be forgiven. But if you don’t proclaim the forgiveness of their sins, they will remain guilty.”

Then came Jesus’ death, Jesus’ resurrection, Jesus’ 40 day ministry.

“After the sufferings of his cross, Jesus appeared alive many times to these same apostles over a forty-day period. Jesus proved to them with many convincing signs that he had been resurrected. During these encounters, he taught them the truths of God’s kingdom realm”

Acts 1:3 TPT

Right before Jesus ascended he promised the disciples something greater - power AND ability. I like the way the Passion Translation describes it - “seized”:

“But you will receive power and ability when the Holy Spirit comes upon you; and you will be My witnesses [to tell people about Me] both in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and Samaria, and even to the ends of the earth.””

Acts 1:8 AMP

“But I promise you this—the Holy Spirit will come upon you and you will be seized with power. And you will be my messengers to Jerusalem, throughout Judea, the distant provinces—even to the remotest places on earth!””

Acts 1:8 TPT

After waiting, pausing, tarrying, praying for 10 days the promised power appeared:

“And they were all filled [that is, diffused throughout their being] with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues (different languages), as the Spirit was giving them the ability to speak out [clearly and appropriately].”

Acts 2:4 AMP

Like the disciples, God has breathed upon me and I am filled with His Holy Spirit. Like the disciples I pray, worship, remember, recall the life of Jesus and try to emulate Him on this earth. Like the disciples I have seen the miraculous and am learning the truths of God’s Kingdom. AND, like the disciples I am awaiting a promise - a promise of MORE (via prophetic words).

Pentecost 2020 is coming (31 May). The entire globe experienced a literal Passover this year - the first in over 2000 with all of us in our homes and celebrating Jesus’ death and resurrection as the “plague” passed over. Prophetic voices are declaring and proclaiming a “mega Pentecost” this year - a Pentecost unlike any other. It will be greater in scope and more impactful than what the 120 experienced in that upper room.

I don’t know about you, but I want to see this. I want to experience it. I want a part, to participate, to change societies environment and atmosphere (mask mandated, phase 1, lockdown) where I find myself. Come Holy Spirit. Come pour out, seize, anoint, embolden, encourage, light me on fire.  Cause all fear to die, dissemble, dismantle, disrobe and flee. Enlighten me. Manifest in greater measure in me. Show yourself! Bless me with that sort of boldness.  Bring me that level of courage. Undo reservation. Embolden me. Encourage me. Fear. Be. Gone.

Inspired by: Tim Sheets sermon https://youtu.be/GaQLhHkGb5Q