Book Discussion in a few weeks - get the book to read it and be able to join in!

Lor

Oct 11, 2009, 10:50:21 PM10/11/09
to DEN IN SL
"The Global Achievement Gap: Why Even Our Best Schools Don’t Teach the
New Survival Skills Our Children Need—And What We Can do About It" by
Tony Wagner

In his book, Wagner argues for the “Seven Survival skills”—the core
competencies he deems necessary for success both in college and in the
twenty-first-century workforce. These encompass problem solving and
critical thinking, collaboration across networks, adaptability,
initiative, effective oral and written communication, analyzing
information, and developing curiosity and imagination....He stresses
the importance of being able to analyze new information and apply it
to new situations in the “global knowledge economy,” then details the
programs, including team teaching, at a few innovative schools that
are effectively meeting this challenge." --Deborah Donovan for
BOOKLIST (NY Times Magazine)

Join us on Nov 4th and 11th around the campfire at 2DP for a practical
discussion of this powerful book at 5 PM SLT. After the book
discussion, the MD/VA Leadership Council members will lead breakout
sessions on the seven skills outlined in the book. Each small group
will brainstrom learning strategies to be used NOW in the classroom to
help students develop these skills. Come learn, exchange and leave
with a few learning strategies that you can implement in your
classroom tomorrow.