*****SPAM***** IMAP: Disappearing email!?

Gib Henry

Aug 12, 2014, 11:45:00 AM8/12/14
We switched from POP to IMAP a month ago, and at first I discounted user complaints of disappearing email.  Then today, I myself have witnessed four emails appear in my inbox, then spontaneously disappear 2-3 seconds later, with no intervention on my part.  We don’t empty trash for 60 days, so a search should find them, but it does not.  I had a colleague resend one, and it instantly disappeared again.  This is very scary!  Any insight?  Cheers,

Gib Henry

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <CGatePr...@mail.stalker.com>

To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <CGatePr...@mail.stalker.com>

Send administrative queries to  <CGatePro...@mail.stalker.com>

Josh Olson

Aug 12, 2014, 11:54:43 AM8/12/14
Hello Gib,

And you’re sure you don’t have a POP client out there somewhere connecting to your account (and thus downloading/deleting the email)? Do you see any other connections to your account when you look at the CommuniGate Pro logs?

-Josh
--
Josh Olson
Customer Support

~ Secure and simple web & mobile unified communications ~

Easy ways to keep in touch:
LinkedIn groups: "CommuniGate Systems"
Twitter @communigate

Check out our HTML5 Web technology with WebRTC enabled voice and video: pronto.communigate.com

James Moe

Aug 12, 2014, 12:33:23 PM8/12/14

Jeff Wark

Aug 12, 2014, 1:56:27 PM8/12/14
I have seem people state that they only use IMAP, but email just disappears from their Inbox.  Invariably, there is a POP client configured on a machine somewhere that is still retrieving the messages.

Look in the logs for something like this [UNIX type server]:

$ grep -E 'POP|IMAP|MAILBOX' 2014-08-12_08-00.log | grep jw...@tbaytel.net

08:46:52.195 2 MAILBOX(jw...@tbaytel.net/Trash) {125462} appended @63812: 59+1424 bytes
08:46:52.199 2 MAILBOX(jw...@tbaytel.net/Trash) {125463} appended @65295: 59+1874 bytes
08:46:52.200 2 MAILBOX(jw...@tbaytel.net/INBOX) {713} deleted: cut off
08:46:52.200 2 MAILBOX(jw...@tbaytel.net/INBOX) {712} deleted: cut off

My logs are set to "Low Level" for a lot of things.  You may need that as well.

The 'POP|IMAP|MAILBOX' will show different connections [POP or IMAP] and then MAILBOX modifications that may be related to those connections.  They usually occur really closely in the logs.  I am unsure of how to connect a POP or IMAP session directly with a MAILBOX log entry.

Hope this helps.
--

Jeff Wark
Tbaytel Internet