Demo Research 2.0

asil...@iki.fi

Feb 16, 2010, 7:09:57 AM2/16/10
to demore...@googlegroups.com
Hi Demo Research,

Last weekend, we took to redesigning our site to run on top of Wordpress.
It is much easier to maintain, looks modern, and as a consequence, the
site also has a blog.

http://www.kameli.net/demoresearch2/

Now I would like to turn to this list for ideas on the blog. Would you
like to read blog markings on demo culture from a research perspective?
Maybe some of you would also be interested in joining us as blog writers?

For comparison, anthropologists I know from my dissertation work have kept a
research blog for many years here:

http://anthropos-lab.net/vss/

It is quite active forum, and I have been using it to keep up with my own
research. A demo research blog might serve similar purposes.

Related to this, the demo research site's sidebar could have an
aggregate of feeds from other relevant blogs. We would be happy to hear
about link suggestions for this.

Best wishes,

Antti Silvast

Anders Carlsson

Feb 17, 2010, 3:37:32 AM2/17/10
to demore...@googlegroups.com
That's nice news!

I'd definitely enjoy some demoscene-related blog posts, and I will try to contribute something aswell. I write about low-tech things, mostly music, at chipflip.wordpress.com.

Yesterday night I finally read a Swedish book about the hacker group SHA. It is available here, although some pages are a bit fucked up: http://hem.bredband.net/b288022/bok.pdf
It frames the demoscene from the 'digital underground' perspective, as one of the SHA-members came from the cracker/demoscene. I believe the author is a journalist, and it's quite nice to read his portrayal of a copy party. In a school. With a democompo on a TV. People shouting SPACE! etc. :)

Also, I actually had a text about the demoscene published a while ago. Unfortunately I never finished it (when I couldn't find funding for travels), and I didn't know that they would publish it. So, to be honest, I am not happy with the text at all. But, FYI, it is here: http://www.mediaarthistory.org/relive/ReLive09Proceedings.pdf

And, since 3 is a magic number, here is a third link which is the story of a VJ going to a recent demo party in Göteborg: http://www.vjunion.se/2010/02/datastorm-and-the-8-bit-scene

-anders

asil...@iki.fi

Feb 17, 2010, 4:01:06 AM2/17/10
to demore...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Andrew! This is very informative, and I will make a blog
marking out of them today. Please keep the updates coming!

I guess it is convenient that you disseminate us info here on the list or
through email, and we (I or Markku Reunanen) make the blog markings always
mentioning your name. Although Wordpress also has a user role of "author".
What do you think, should we create new "authors" for the blog?

Best wishes,

Antti

> That's nice news!
>
> I'd definitely enjoy some demoscene-related blog posts, and I will try to
> contribute something aswell. I write about low-tech things, mostly music,
> at
> chipflip.wordpress.com.
>
> Yesterday night I finally read a Swedish book about the hacker group SHA.
> It
> is available here, although some pages are a bit fucked up:
> http://hem.bredband.net/b288022/bok.pdf
> It frames the demoscene from the 'digital underground' perspective, as one
> of the SHA-members came from the cracker/demoscene. I believe the author
> is
> a journalist, and it's quite nice to read his portrayal of a copy party.
> In
> a school. With a democompo on a TV. People shouting SPACE! etc. :)
>
> Also, I actually had a text about the demoscene published a while ago.
> Unfortunately I never finished it (when I couldn't find funding for
> travels), and I didn't know that they would publish it. So, to be honest,
> am not happy with the text at all. But, FYI, it is here:
> http://www.mediaarthistory.org/relive/ReLive09Proceedings.pdf
>
> And, since 3 is a magic number, here is a third link which is the story of

> VJ going to a recent demo party in G�teborg:

>> demoresearch...@googlegroups.com<demoresearch%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Anders Carlsson

Feb 17, 2010, 4:37:16 AM2/17/10
to demore...@googlegroups.com
If there are many other people interested I guess it makes sense to add new authors to the blog, but maybe you can wait and see first.

> VJ going to a recent demo party in Göteborg:

asil...@iki.fi

Feb 17, 2010, 7:08:24 AM2/17/10
to demore...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like a plan. And sorry about mixing your name with another
person. :)

>> > VJ going to a recent demo party in G�teborg:

>> <demoresearch%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<demoresearch%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

Anders Carlsson

Feb 17, 2010, 7:42:14 AM2/17/10
to demore...@googlegroups.com
I just thought you wanted to internationalize the list, Andy!

:)

>> > VJ going to a recent demo party in Göteborg:

asil...@iki.fi

Feb 17, 2010, 7:50:03 AM2/17/10
to demore...@googlegroups.com
LOL!