Pouet.net visualized

Marq

May 1, 2011, 3:44:47 PM5/1/11
to Demo Research
I wrote a couple of scripts to visualize the Pouet.net database of
demoscene productions. The end results can be found on my blog here:
http://www.kameli.net/marq/?p=595. There will be more as I proceed,
but these initial figures done in a day are already pretty revealing.

robotski

May 1, 2011, 5:48:06 PM5/1/11
to Demo Research
That’s great!
I wanted to do something like this too, but didn’t know how. I made
some small visualizations for my book and kind of extracted the tables
manually (thankfully only for 8-bit/Console Demos which usually do not
exceed 100 productions per year). Since I am not into scripting, I
would appreciate some more details of how you accessed the pouet
database.
And I definitely would be up to a bigger demoscene visualization
project, if I can help.
-Daniel

Anders Carlsson

May 9, 2011, 1:08:41 AM5/9/11
to demore...@googlegroups.com
Really nice work!

About the peak around 1990, how can that be explained? I wonder if it
was alsa peak of the amount of sceners. I guess there were lots of
small demos/intros released on many platforms. Most releases were not
for parties, and they were not so "professionalized".

The peak is mostly caused by C64, I guess. There are some separate
C64-stat-visualizations here: http://www.xentax.com/?page_id=235

Anyone knows of more projects like this?

-a

Michael Kargas

May 9, 2011, 3:37:25 AM5/9/11
to demore...@googlegroups.com

It was indeed the C64 releases.
Also, do you remember when blkpanther ( http://pouet.net/user.php?who=2229 ) wrote a script to add automatically every CSDb release to Pouet. It could be that while most C64 stuff are there, many PC/Amiga releases are still missing from Pouet. But maybe you are right, sceners might be releasing a lot of lower quality stuff in the early years. Quantity over quality.

Optimus

robotski

May 9, 2011, 6:39:39 AM5/9/11
to Demo Research
A lot of amiga demos around 1990 (also "quality stuff") are present on
bitworld (http://bitworld.bitfellas.org/) but still did not make it to
pouet.
-Daniel

Anders Carlsson

May 9, 2011, 7:36:39 AM5/9/11
to demore...@googlegroups.com
Just to be clear - with "not professionalized" I didn't mean lower
quality, but rather less standardized and less polished. And also as
Daniel says, there should be plenty of Amiga demos from 1990 and if
they're also missing, then again it makes me wonder - were there more
sceners active in 1990 than at any other moment? Please, answer. ;)

-a

Marq

May 9, 2011, 10:01:47 AM5/9/11
to Demo Research
On May 9, 10:37 am, Michael Kargas <optimus6...@yahoo.gr> wrote:
> > The peak is mostly caused by C64, I guess. There are some
> > separate
> > C64-stat-visualizations here:http://www.xentax.com/?page_id=235
>
> It was indeed the C64 releases.
> Also, do you remember when blkpanther (http://pouet.net/user.php?who=2229) wrote a script to add automatically every CSDb release to Pouet. It could be that
> while most C64 stuff are there, many PC/Amiga releases are still missing from Pouet. But maybe you are right, sceners might be releasing a lot of lower quality stuff
> in the early years. Quantity over quality.

Then, on the other hand, when Pouet became the place in the early
2000s, people started adding new productions there routinely. So it's
likely that new stuff is well represented, too. The real amount of
productions per year might be impossible to find out, but at least
these visualizations give some sort of clues and definitely they
represent the lower limit at least. The high spike seen around 1990 is
not just demos - at that time they used to publish a lot of diskmags,
too (and crack intros). Mags were small with maybe 10 articles and
they were released even biweekly.

robotski

May 9, 2011, 10:49:16 AM5/9/11
to Demo Research
Right, and don't forget demopacks, which, on the Atari ST and Amiga,
have been very popular around 1990.

doreen

May 16, 2011, 7:49:59 AM5/16/11
to Demo Research
Thanks a lot for these visualizations - great work!

Bye Doreen

Trixter

Jul 12, 2011, 11:08:27 AM7/12/11
to Demo Research
Marq, how did you access the Pouet data? Did gargaj or someone give
you a dump of the database, or did you scrape the website?

Marq

Jul 12, 2011, 1:03:13 PM7/12/11
to Demo Research
On Jul 12, 6:08 pm, Trixter <mobyga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Marq, how did you access the Pouet data?  Did gargaj or someone give
> you a dump of the database, or did you scrape the website?

I leeched the database with my own scripts, but apparently they have
something similar available here:
http://www.pouet.net/faq.php#12
I'm not completely sure if that feed would have met my needs, but I
guess it would work for many purposes.

Trixter

Jul 12, 2011, 1:38:53 PM7/12/11
to Demo Research
That same FAQ says that if you need more data than the rss/xnfo feeds
allow, simply email them. Maybe next time, try that :-)

However, the "http://www.pouet.net/export/prod.xnfo.php?which=9450"
form is interesting; I wonder if one could simply start at production
1 and go until you hit the last added prod. Did your scripts gather
any information not present in the xnfo output?