Demon is being put to DEATH. Demon Upgrade To Vodafone Business - sent to junk folder

Peter Hill

Jan 19, 2018, 4:03:49 AM1/19/18
Found an E-mail today in my Junk folder. They didn't send it "to" my
account admin address which they do know and use as, my E-bills go to
it. My "Demon" filter only looks at the "To:" and it matched no filters
so off to the junk it went.

From: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
To: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
Subject: Demon Upgrade To Vodafone Business

Good Afternoon,

Hope You are well,

I am contacting you today regarding your existing Demon broadband
connection. The old Demon broadband network is coming to end of life so
we are actively contacting all our customers who are still using the old
network to find out which of our new Vodafone services will suite best
to migrate you over to..

The good news is, not only will the new broadband service greatly
improve the quality and speed of your service it will also save you
money compared to what you are currently paying as our new packages
start from as little as £16.66 p/m for business Fibre broadband and
£9.33 p/m for business ADSL broadband.

If you wish to discuss the options available for you please let me know
and I will give you a call.

I may be going to Fibre.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jan 19, 2018, 4:52:49 AM1/19/18
In message <p3sc9j$bnk$1...@adenine.netfront.net>, Peter Hill
<free...@skyshack.demon.co.uk> writes:
>Found an E-mail today in my Junk folder. They didn't send it "to" my
>account admin address which they do know and use as, my E-bills go to
>it. My "Demon" filter only looks at the "To:" and it matched no filters
>so off to the junk it went.
[]
>old network to find out which of our new Vodafone services will suite
>best to migrate you over to..
[]

Can't even select the right spelling of "suit".

>I may be going to Fibre.

(-:

[Good luck to all old Demonites. (I never had Demon _broadband_; I stuck
with the biscuit company to keep the email alive, until _they_ decided
to mess us around about a year ago, then made the plunge I should have
ages before, to my own host {with Tsohost, connection with PlusNet, but
both of those are somewhat arbitrary}.) Sad to see the death - again -
of a once-proud name. (I wonder if this heralds the final disappearance
of Demon altogether, e. g. non-renewal of the domain?)]

"Everyone is entitled to an *informed* opinion." - Harlan Ellison

Martin Brown

Jan 19, 2018, 4:55:43 AM1/19/18
On 19/01/2018 09:03, Peter Hill wrote:
> Found an E-mail today in my Junk folder. They didn't send it "to" my
> account admin address which they do know and use as, my E-bills go to
> it. My "Demon" filter only looks at the "To:" and it matched no filters
> so off to the junk it went.
>
> From: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
> To: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
> Subject: Demon Upgrade To Vodafone Business
>
> Good Afternoon,
>
> Hope You are well,
>
> I am contacting you today regarding your existing Demon broadband
> connection. The old Demon broadband network is coming to end of life so
> we are actively contacting all our customers who are still using the old
> network to find out which of our new Vodafone services will suite best
> to migrate you over to..

suite (sic) - they are illiterate as well as incompetent.

> The good news is, not only will the new broadband service greatly
> improve the quality and speed of your service it will also save you
> money compared to what you are currently paying as our new packages
> start from as little as £16.66 p/m for business Fibre broadband and
> £9.33 p/m for business ADSL broadband.
>
> If you wish to discuss the options available for you please let me know
> and I will give you a call.

I think you have to ask yourself do you want to continue to do business
with an organisation that can't be bothered to communicate reliably.

> I may be going to Fibre.

Take the opportunity to find a more reliable ISP. Namesco isn't bad for
keeping legacy Demon accounts parked (accepting that one day Voodofone
will forget to renew the Demon.co.uk domain or trash its records).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

bol...@cylonhq.com

Jan 19, 2018, 4:57:17 AM1/19/18
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 09:03:46 +0000
Peter Hill <free...@skyshack.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>I am contacting you today regarding your existing Demon broadband
>connection. The old Demon broadband network is coming to end of life so

I very much doubt there's been a physically seperate Demon network for years.
Just sounds like another nail in the coffin of the Demon brand by vodaphones
marketing dept.

John Hall

Jan 19, 2018, 5:27:02 AM1/19/18
In message <p3sc9j$bnk$1...@adenine.netfront.net>, Peter Hill
<free...@skyshack.demon.co.uk> writes
>Found an E-mail today in my Junk folder. They didn't send it "to" my
>account admin address which they do know and use as, my E-bills go to
>it. My "Demon" filter only looks at the "To:" and it matched no filters
>so off to the junk it went.
>
>From: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
>To: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
>Subject: Demon Upgrade To Vodafone Business
<snip>

Thanks for the "heads up" on this. I've not yet received this email. At
least I hope that's the reason rather than that it's been sent to an
invalid address. Can you tell me what address your email was sent to, as
that may help me to determine which is likely to be the case. Also when
is your current Demon broadband subscription due to expire? Maybe they
are sending out the emails when people's subscriptions approach the time
for renewal?

I suppose if I don't hear anything from them I can always email this
Graham Balfour.
--
John Hall
"Hegel was right when he said that we learn from history

anthony...@googlemail.com

Jan 19, 2018, 6:31:01 PM1/19/18
Have not received this email yet and I have checked my spam folder. You would think with something this important they would send a letter rather than assume you regularly check your email.

This could be quite a problem for me as the Broadband is in my name but the phone is in my mothers. I signed up when the only phone provider was BT so there was none of this we "have to supply the phone as well as your BB". I don't want to move the phone and not sure if Vodafone do a BB only service. Want to stay on the C&W network as I don't want to use Sky or Talk Talk who are the only other LLU services on my exchange.

Anthony

Wm

Jan 22, 2018, 12:27:04 PM1/22/18
On 19/01/2018 10:24, John Hall wrote:
> In message <p3sc9j$bnk$1...@adenine.netfront.net>, Peter Hill
> <free...@skyshack.demon.co.uk> writes
>> Found an E-mail today in my Junk folder. They didn't send it "to" my
>> account admin address which they do know and use as, my E-bills go to
>> it. My "Demon" filter only looks at the "To:" and it matched no
>> filters so off to the junk it went.
>>
>> From: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
>> To: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
>> Subject: Demon Upgrade To Vodafone Business
> <snip>
>
> Thanks for the "heads up" on this. I've not yet received this email. At
> least I hope that's the reason rather than that it's been sent to an
> invalid address. Can you tell me what address your email was sent to, as
> that may help me to determine which is likely to be the case.

I'm curious too, I don't think anyt...@anything.demon.co.uk gets to me
any more

I'd hope they send any significant messages to the person that pays the
bill, or, as someone else has suggested, sends a bit of paper if it is
really necessary.
> Also when
> is your current Demon broadband subscription due to expire? Maybe they
> are sending out the emails when people's subscriptions approach the time
> for renewal?

Ummm, do we all have an expiring subscription?

> I suppose if I don't hear anything from them I can always email this
> Graham Balfour.

Indeed, I'd like to know if my broadband connection is going to end
unexpectedly too.

--
Wm

Peter Hill

Jan 22, 2018, 2:20:56 PM1/22/18
On 22-Jan-18 5:26 PM, Wm wrote:
> On 19/01/2018 10:24, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <p3sc9j$bnk$1...@adenine.netfront.net>, Peter Hill
>> <free...@skyshack.demon.co.uk> writes
>>> Found an E-mail today in my Junk folder. They didn't send it "to" my
>>> account admin address which they do know and use as, my E-bills go to
>>> it. My "Demon" filter only looks at the "To:" and it matched no
>>> filters so off to the junk it went.
>>>
>>> From: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
>>> To: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
>>> Subject: Demon Upgrade To Vodafone Business
>> <snip>
>>
>> Thanks for the "heads up" on this. I've not yet received this email.
>> At least I hope that's the reason rather than that it's been sent to
>> an invalid address. Can you tell me what address your email was sent
>> to, as that may help me to determine which is likely to be the case.
>
> I'm curious too, I don't think anyt...@anything.demon.co.uk gets to me
> any more

I suspect it was the right address just not in the TO: field so missed
the filter for auto filing in the "Demon/Thus" folder. Anything that
fails the auto filing filters and doesn't have my domain in the "TO:"
goes to "spamtrap" folder.

> I'd hope they send any significant messages to the person that pays the
> bill, or, as someone else has suggested, sends a bit of paper if it is
> really necessary.
>  > Also when
>> is your current Demon broadband subscription due to expire? Maybe they
>> are sending out the emails when people's subscriptions approach the
>> time for renewal?
>
> Ummm, do we all have an expiring subscription?
>
>> I suppose if I don't hear anything from them I can always email this
>> Graham Balfour.
>
> Indeed, I'd like to know if my broadband connection is going to end
> unexpectedly too.

If it runs from the upgrade to ADSL2+ in 2013 then it's March.

John Hall

Jan 22, 2018, 2:55:51 PM1/22/18
In message <p45din$29ch$1...@adenine.netfront.net>, Peter Hill
<free...@skyshack.demon.co.uk> writes
>On 22-Jan-18 5:26 PM, Wm wrote:
>> On 19/01/2018 10:24, John Hall wrote:
<snip>
>>  > Also when
>>> is your current Demon broadband subscription due to expire? Maybe
>>>they are sending out the emails when people's subscriptions approach
>>>the time for renewal?
>> Ummm, do we all have an expiring subscription?

When I said "expire", perhaps it was a poor choice of word. Hopefully
the "when people's subscriptions approach the time for renewal" made
clear what I meant.

>>> I suppose if I don't hear anything from them I can always email this
>>>Graham Balfour.
>> Indeed, I'd like to know if my broadband connection is going to end
>>unexpectedly too.
>>

>If it runs from the upgrade to ADSL2+ in 2013 then it's March.

Ah, mine comes up in April (though IIRC they normally take the DD
payment well in advance), so I may hear from them within the next month
or so.

Wm

Jan 22, 2018, 3:09:50 PM1/22/18
On 22/01/2018 19:20, Peter Hill wrote:
> If it runs from the upgrade to ADSL2+ in 2013 then it's March.

I was on the adsl trials before then, I don't think that date has
anything to do with my contract date

--
Wm

Brian Howie

Jan 23, 2018, 5:30:35 AM1/23/18
In message <p3sc9j$bnk$1...@adenine.netfront.net>, Peter Hill
<free...@skyshack.demon.co.uk> writes
Hmm I've not had one.

I'm with namesco for e-mail. Postmaster and Webmaster and my wife are
set up as aliases. I think everything else gets binned.

Brian
--
Brian Howie

John Hall

Jan 23, 2018, 5:46:58 AM1/23/18
In message <ILOT1IO+...@b-howie.demon.co.uk>, Brian Howie
>Hmm I've not had one.
>
>I'm with namesco for e-mail. Postmaster and Webmaster and my wife are
>set up as aliases. I think everything else gets binned.

Assuming that you are set up on their website for e-billing, for which
the url is nowadays

https://thusebilling.crystalasp.com/thuswebportal/logn.aspx

then one would expect any emails to be sent to whatever email address
you supplied for that.

Brian Howie

Jan 23, 2018, 9:11:02 AM1/23/18
In message <C4oyl8AHFxZaFwoz@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes
>In message <ILOT1IO+...@b-howie.demon.co.uk>, Brian Howie
>>Hmm I've not had one.
>>
>>I'm with namesco for e-mail. Postmaster and Webmaster and my wife are
>>set up as aliases. I think everything else gets binned.
>>

>Assuming that you are set up on their website for e-billing, for which
>the url is nowadays
>
>https://thusebilling.crystalasp.com/thuswebportal/logn.aspx
>
>then one would expect any emails to be sent to whatever email address
>you supplied for that.

Yes I've set up e-billing, so they've a real e-mail.

I wonder if I'd get to keep my IP address if I went to Vodafone fibre. .

Brian
--
Brian Howie

David Rance

Jan 23, 2018, 10:13:05 AM1/23/18
My experience is that you don't.

David

Wm

Jan 23, 2018, 1:45:02 PM1/23/18
On 23/01/2018 11:33, Brian Howie wrote:

> I wonder if I'd get to keep my IP address if I went to Vodafone fibre. .

I'd prefer a new IP address, there are contention issues on the decade
and a bit old one I'm using. As far as I (or Demon support) can tell
someone is selling live TV subscriptions or similar a bit further up my
bit of the wire, they get moved on after a bit but browsing the www
thing can just slow to the point of can't-be-arsed to check the news on
bbc for a week or so when it gets bad.

--
Wm

Wm

Jan 23, 2018, 2:02:56 PM1/23/18
On 19/01/2018 09:03, Peter Hill wrote:

> I am contacting you today regarding your existing Demon broadband
> connection. The old Demon broadband network is coming to end of life so
> we are actively contacting all our customers who are still using the old
> network to find out which of our new Vodafone services will suite best
> to migrate you over to..
>
> The good news is, not only will the new broadband service greatly
> improve the quality and speed of your service it will also save you
> money compared to what you are currently paying as our new packages
> start from as little as £16.66 p/m for business Fibre broadband and
> £9.33 p/m for business ADSL broadband.

Has anyone else tried plugging their details in at
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband
because I'm not getting a sexy wink anything near as attractive as Mr B
is offering PeterH.

What I get offered is 20 p/m for fibre and 25 p/m for ph and broadband.
Hardly attractive given the competition.

I'm guessing PeterH must be a more attractive prospect and probably
better looking :)

--
Wm

John Hall

Jan 23, 2018, 2:44:58 PM1/23/18
In message <p480sv$qis$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk>
writes
>Has anyone else tried plugging their details in at
>https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband
>because I'm not getting a sexy wink anything near as attractive as Mr B
>is offering PeterH.
>
>What I get offered is 20 p/m for fibre and 25 p/m for ph and broadband.
>Hardly attractive given the competition.
>
>I'm guessing PeterH must be a more attractive prospect and probably
>better looking :)

Maybe it's a special offer for Demonites? That would be nice.

Wm

Jan 23, 2018, 3:44:39 PM1/23/18
On 23/01/2018 19:43, John Hall wrote:
> In message <p480sv$qis$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> Has anyone else tried plugging their details in at
>> https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband
>> because I'm not getting a sexy wink anything near as attractive as Mr
>> B is offering PeterH.
>>
>> What I get offered is 20 p/m for fibre and 25 p/m for ph and
>> broadband. Hardly attractive given the competition.
>>
>> I'm guessing PeterH must be a more attractive prospect and probably
>> better looking :)
>
> Maybe it's a special offer for Demonites? That would be nice.

I'm hoping we could be vermin bounty beneficiaries.

Aside: vermin bounties are well understood in economics but seem to be
missing from the great big wiki. I expect I just didn't search right,
otherwise you, the reader, may be a person that read a message from
someone that created an original wiki entry. Yay for us :)

--
Wm

anthony...@googlemail.com

Jan 24, 2018, 12:12:54 AM1/24/18

Wm

Jan 24, 2018, 2:39:13 AM1/24/18
Hopefully not, that offer has a bad case of the from's and up-to's

--
Wm

Wm

Jan 24, 2018, 3:01:20 AM1/24/18
On 23/01/2018 11:33, Brian Howie wrote:

> I wonder if I'd get to keep my IP address if I went to Vodafone fibre. .

just curious, why would you want to keep the same IP address ?

--
Wm

Chris B

Jan 24, 2018, 5:49:09 AM1/24/18
Maybe it depends on location I am no longer an existing customer with
them and my offer is 22.5 GBP for 38 Mbs and 27 GBP for 76 Mbs. Both
with 18m contracts and phone but no option for ADSL.

--
Chris B (News)

Brian Howie

Jan 24, 2018, 7:12:33 AM1/24/18
In message <p49egf$tt$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On 23/01/2018 11:33, Brian Howie wrote:
>
>> I wonder if I'd get to keep my IP address if I went to Vodafone fibre. .
>
>just curious, why would you want to keep the same IP address ?

I ran a web software defined receiver for ham radio for a little while.

Fixed IP is an advantage , but not as essential as it once was. I was
just interested.

Brian
--
Brian Howie

Ruth E

Feb 2, 2018, 1:26:22 PM2/2/18
I received a similar email today. I've been planning to move away from Demon ever since they offloaded my email to Namesco (esp as I could get FTTC for a similar price to my monthly Demon bill). Although inertia has won out so far.

But I don't like the sound of "Our Demon broadband network is coming to end of life" - I foresee them cutting us off in due course with as little notice as they did for the email. So hopefully this will finally spur me into action.

I'm thinking of Uno (as I do use my fixed IP address). Anyone have any experience - good or bad - with them?

Wm

Feb 4, 2018, 6:11:14 AM2/4/18
On 02/02/2018 18:26, Ruth E wrote:
> I received a similar email today. I've been planning to move away from Demon ever since they offloaded my email to Namesco (esp as I could get FTTC for a similar price to my monthly Demon bill). Although inertia has won out so far.
>
> But I don't like the sound of "Our Demon broadband network is coming to end of life" - I foresee them cutting us off in due course with as little notice as they did for the email. So hopefully this will finally spur me into action.

I think that is more, errrm, "sales initiative" than threat at the
moment. As someone else pointed out in this thread, if they really are
going to terminate a contract they'll need to make sure they're getting
through and a paper letter will almost certainly be needed in some cases.

> I'm thinking of Uno (as I do use my fixed IP address). Anyone have any experience - good or bad - with them?

Not me, sorry. I'm generally finding fixed IP addresses redundant and
occasionally irritating [1]

===

Anyway, continuing wrt communications, which e-mail address did they use ?

the same as the one that gets used for your pdf invoice (presuming you
get one of those)

another left over .demon.co.uk address that you still have access to

something else

====

I (and I think a few other flox) am wondering because I didn't go for
the Namesco offer as I already had my own domains, if they are just
running through the people with demon.co.uk addresses I'll never see
anything.

[1] too many "is it really you", etc. I have strong passwords, my ip
location is secondary

--
Wm

John Hall

Feb 4, 2018, 6:35:40 AM2/4/18
In message <p56poh$ofq$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk>
writes
>On 02/02/2018 18:26, Ruth E wrote:
>> I received a similar email today. I've been planning to move away
>>from Demon ever since they offloaded my email to Namesco (esp as I
>>could get FTTC for a similar price to my monthly Demon bill).
>>Although inertia has won out so far.
>> But I don't like the sound of "Our Demon broadband network is coming
>>to end of life" - I foresee them cutting us off in due course with as
>>little notice as they did for the email. So hopefully this will
>>finally spur me into action.
>>

>I think that is more, errrm, "sales initiative" than threat at the
>moment. As someone else pointed out in this thread, if they really are
>going to terminate a contract they'll need to make sure they're getting
>through and a paper letter will almost certainly be needed in some cases.

OTOH, I don't think I ever got a paper letter before they closed down
the email service, just an email. That service wasn't quite a
contractual obligation, perhaps, but pretty nearly as important. There
was a suggestion back then, ISTR, that with Demon going to Thus to C&W
to Vodafone, that at some point along the way they might have lost some
people's postal addresses.

<snip>

>Anyway, continuing wrt communications, which e-mail address did they use ?
>
>the same as the one that gets used for your pdf invoice (presuming you
>get one of those)
>
>another left over .demon.co.uk address that you still have access to
>
>something else
>

>====
>
>I (and I think a few other flox) am wondering because I didn't go for
>the Namesco offer as I already had my own domains, if they are just
>running through the people with demon.co.uk addresses I'll never see
>anything.

Yes, I'm wondering that too. I did remember at the time to update my
invoicing email address for e-billing, and I've been receiving my annual
invoices, so one would hope that they'd have enough sense to use that
address for anything important.

Wm

Feb 4, 2018, 8:06:07 AM2/4/18
On 04/02/2018 11:35, John Hall wrote:
> In message <p56poh$ofq$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> On 02/02/2018 18:26, Ruth E wrote:
>>> I received a similar email today.  I've been planning to move away
>>> from Demon ever since they offloaded my email to Namesco (esp as I
>>> could get FTTC for a similar price to my monthly Demon bill).
>>> Although inertia has won out so far.
>>>  But I don't like the sound of "Our Demon broadband network is coming
>>> to end of life" - I foresee them cutting us off in due course with as
>>> little notice as they did for the email.  So hopefully this will
>>> finally spur me into action.
>>>

>> I think that is more, errrm, "sales initiative" than threat at the
>> moment.  As someone else pointed out in this thread, if they really
>> are going to terminate a contract they'll need to make sure they're
>> getting through and a paper letter will almost certainly be needed in
>> some cases.
>
> OTOH, I don't think I ever got a paper letter before they closed down
> the email service, just an email. That service wasn't quite a
> contractual obligation, perhaps, but pretty nearly as important. There
> was a suggestion back then, ISTR, that with Demon going to Thus to C&W
> to Vodafone, that at some point along the way they might have lost some
> people's postal addresses.

My monthly pdf invoice has my land address on it.

Also, aren't Vodafone delivering ADSL / Broadband services to a physical
point ?

Maybe I've missed something but I think just about everyone that is
still on a demon era contract must be physically located if only because
of the necessity for a man (almost always a man in those days) to get
inside your place to do the wires.

I suppose it is possible they lost some stuff, but they can't pretend
they haven't got my land address as it is on the invoice.

>> Anyway, continuing wrt communications, which e-mail address did they
>> use ?
>>
>> the same as the one that gets used for your pdf invoice (presuming you
>> get one of those)
>>
>> another left over .demon.co.uk address that you still have access to
>>
>> something else
>>

>> ====
>>
>> I (and I think a few other flox) am wondering because I didn't go for
>> the Namesco offer as I already had my own domains, if they are just
>> running through the people with demon.co.uk addresses I'll never see
>> anything.
>
> Yes, I'm wondering that too. I did remember at the time to update my
> invoicing email address for e-billing, and I've been receiving my annual
> invoices, so one would hope that they'd have enough sense to use that
> address for anything important.

I can't remember why but I'm billed monthly rather than annually, most
of the time they use my domain, but as it is tax time I noticed that
they didn't e-mail me invoices for Oct, Nov, Dec 2017 but did for Jan
2018. Makes no sense to me.

--
Wm

John Hall

Feb 4, 2018, 12:47:33 PM2/4/18
In message <p570fu$49q$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk>
writes
>My monthly pdf invoice has my land address on it.
>
>Also, aren't Vodafone delivering ADSL / Broadband services to a
>physical point ?
>
>Maybe I've missed something but I think just about everyone that is
>still on a demon era contract must be physically located if only
>because of the necessity for a man (almost always a man in those days)
>to get inside your place to do the wires.

In my case, Demon piggy-backed on BT for my broadband connection, which
by then they had started doing for exchanges where C&W (was it?) didn't
have a presence. I think all I had to do was provide my phone number and
they passed it to BT who did the rest. Nobody had to get inside my place
to do anything to my wires.

Brian Howie

Feb 4, 2018, 3:11:40 PM2/4/18
In message <109691ac-df6e-4678...@googlegroups.com>, Ruth
E <cemy...@gmail.com> writes
I got this from Vodafone in Nov 2016 , they were offering a Fixed IP.

"Superfast fibre at a reduced price for our Demon Broadband customers

Introducing Vodafone Business Superfast Fibre and Phone with an
exclusive customer offer

Unlimited broadband, 500 call minutes, Speeds up to 38 Mbps £26.82 a
month (exc. VAT) Including line rental for 24 months. Connection charges
may apply: new line provision £50 and/or fibre activation £40. Router
delivery charge £6.99. Charges exclude VAT.

Hello,
Vodafone Business Broadband and Phone is here - and as a thank you for
being with us we're offering Superfast Fibre and Phone to our Demon
Broadband customers at a reduced price of £26.82 (exc. VAT) a month,
including line rental. To take advantage of this offer, all you need to
do is give us a call for a personalised review of the services we
currently provide for you. Superfast Fibre and Phone offers unlimited
broadband with speeds of up to 38Mbps on our own national fibre network.
With Support Plus included as standard, if something happens with your
line it will be fixed by the end of the next business day. You'll also
get a free high-spec router, worth £130, and a single static IP address.
Calling features like Smart Divert let you take landline calls on your
mobile so no more missed calls while out on the road"

Brian
--
Brian Howie

Ruth E

Feb 5, 2018, 8:03:25 AM2/5/18
On Sunday, February 4, 2018 at 11:11:14 AM UTC, Wm wrote:
> Anyway, continuing wrt communications, which e-mail address did they use ?
> the same as the one that gets used for your pdf invoice (presuming you
> get one of those)
> another left over .demon.co.uk address that you still have access to
> something else

I can't tell which email it was sent to, I'm afraid - I was Bcc:ed (and the message header doesn't show it either). I do receive monthly pdf invoices by email, so they may have used that address, or postmaster@ or administrator@. I did go the Namesco route, so they would all reach me ok still.

Ruth E

Feb 5, 2018, 8:07:42 AM2/5/18
Thanks Brian. I'll take a look at their offering (that's cheaper than Uno if it includes line rental - although I am stuck in a BT contract for my landline at the moment). Although I'm not really minded to give Vodafone any more of my money, given the shabby way they've treated their Demon customers!

janea...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2018, 8:36:25 AM2/5/18
On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 9:03:49 AM UTC, Peter Hill wrote:
> Found an E-mail today in my Junk folder. They didn't send it "to" my
> account admin address which they do know and use as, my E-bills go to
> it. My "Demon" filter only looks at the "To:" and it matched no filters
> so off to the junk it went.
>
> From: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
> To: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
> Subject: Demon Upgrade To Vodafone Business
>
> Good Afternoon,
>
> Hope You are well,
>
> I am contacting you today regarding your existing Demon broadband
> connection. The old Demon broadband network is coming to end of life so
> we are actively contacting all our customers who are still using the old
> network to find out which of our new Vodafone services will suite best
> to migrate you over to..
>
> The good news is, not only will the new broadband service greatly
> improve the quality and speed of your service it will also save you
> money compared to what you are currently paying as our new packages
> start from as little as £16.66 p/m for business Fibre broadband and
> £9.33 p/m for business ADSL broadband.
>
> If you wish to discuss the options available for you please let me know
> and I will give you a call.
>

> I may be going to Fibre.

Hi Folks,
does anyone actually know when the demon broadband service is ending?
I called then today as realised I'd had no communication from them since I changed my email when .demon.co.uk came to an end..they hadn't updated my email address.
I can't get 'Vodafone Fibre" at my rural location and the bloke at Demon didn't know what to advise me to do? I get 5Mbps from demon which is amazing for where I live!! ( my neighbour only gets -2Mpbs on a good day from BT)... will Vodafone not be able to offer me same existing speed on ADSL??
I'm really worried now. Thanks

Peter Hill

Feb 5, 2018, 1:49:23 PM2/5/18
My offer was
£16.66 p/m for business Fibre broadband
and
£9.33 p/m for business ADSL broadband.

I think this is data only over openreach network and fibre means FTTC.

ADSL is about 1/2 the price of Demon.

ADSL speed is very dependent on the copper in the last run from cabinet
to your socket. I'm not sure what happens if they can't get the copper
to run fiber speeds.

Wm

Feb 5, 2018, 3:48:00 PM2/5/18
On 05/02/2018 18:49, Peter Hill wrote:

> My offer was
> £16.66 p/m for business Fibre broadband
> and
> £9.33 p/m for business ADSL broadband.

Those would be good offers where I am.

--
Wm

Wm

Feb 13, 2018, 4:33:42 PM2/13/18
On 19/01/2018 09:03, Peter Hill wrote:
> Found an E-mail today in my Junk folder. They didn't send it "to" my
> account admin address which they do know and use as, my E-bills go to
> it. My "Demon" filter only looks at the "To:" and it matched no filters
> so off to the junk it went.
>
> From: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
> To: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
> Subject: Demon Upgrade To Vodafone Business
>
> Good Afternoon,
>
> Hope You are well,
>
> I am contacting you today regarding your existing Demon broadband
> connection. The old Demon broadband network is coming to end of life so
> we are actively contacting all our customers who are still using the old
> network to find out which of our new Vodafone services will suite best
> to migrate you over to..
>
> The good news is, not only will the new broadband service greatly
> improve the quality and speed of your service it will also save you
> money compared to what you are currently paying as our new packages
> start from as little as £16.66 p/m for business Fibre broadband and
> £9.33 p/m for business ADSL broadband.
>
> If you wish to discuss the options available for you please let me know
> and I will give you a call.
>

> I may be going to Fibre.

I'm thinking this was just a sales attempt.

If they really were planning to terminate our services a lot more of us
would have heard by now.

--
Wm

Andy

Feb 14, 2018, 5:05:07 AM2/14/18
In message <p5vljm$288$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote
[]

>If they really were planning to terminate our services a lot more of us
>would have heard by now.

Not if they just did it...
--
Andy Taylor [Editor & Treasurer, Austrian Philatelic Society].
Visit www dot austrianphilately dot com

Martin Brown

Feb 14, 2018, 5:20:05 AM2/14/18
That doesn't really follow.

The first many of us knew about email and web space going was someone
pointing out the hidden announcement here. I never got any direct email
notification at all (though someone known to me did). Interesting since
they seemed to know where to send invoices but CBA to contact me.
> If they really were planning to terminate our services a lot more of us
> would have heard by now.

I admire your faith. Good luck!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Wm

Feb 16, 2018, 8:44:25 AM2/16/18
On 14/02/2018 09:50, Andy wrote:
> In message <p5vljm$288$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote
> []
>>
>> If they really were planning to terminate our services a lot more of
>> us would have heard by now.
>>
> Not if they just did it...

Doesn't work because of google groups etc and someone needs to put their
name on the message.

My contract is an old-ish one and it means someone needs to tell me
about it if they're changing it or terminating it.

In advance.

I accept that might not be true for everyone.

--
Wm

Wm

Feb 16, 2018, 8:46:18 AM2/16/18
On 14/02/2018 10:20, Martin Brown wrote:

> I admire your faith. Good luck!

I'll be fine with or without your lucky charm.

John Hall

Feb 23, 2018, 12:12:49 PM2/23/18
In message <p3sc9j$bnk$1...@adenine.netfront.net>, Peter Hill
<free...@skyshack.demon.co.uk> writes
>Found an E-mail today in my Junk folder. They didn't send it "to" my
>account admin address which they do know and use as, my E-bills go to
>it. My "Demon" filter only looks at the "To:" and it matched no filters
>so off to the junk it went.
>
>From: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
>To: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
>Subject: Demon Upgrade To Vodafone Business
>
>Good Afternoon,
>
>Hope You are well,
>
>I am contacting you today regarding your existing Demon broadband
>connection. The old Demon broadband network is coming to end of life so
>we are actively contacting all our customers who are still using the
>old network to find out which of our new Vodafone services will suite
>best to migrate you over to..
<snip>

Well I've just received my annual invoice email for my "DEMON BUSINESS
LITE + CONNECT - Annual (24)" for the coming 12 months. So either they
are happy for me to continue as is for another year, or they've cocked
up. As I imagine the sending of invoices is automated, that's certainly
possible.

Richard_CC

Feb 24, 2018, 5:48:41 AM2/24/18
On 23/02/2018 17:08, John Hall wrote:
<snip>

> Well I've just received my annual invoice email for my "DEMON BUSINESS
> LITE + CONNECT - Annual (24)" for the coming 12 months. So either they
> are happy for me to continue as is for another year, or they've cocked
> up. As I imagine the sending of invoices is automated, that's certainly
> possible.

Replace possible with probable?

One thing in Demons favour when I left, the refund for balance of year
was calculated properly and refunded reasonably promptly once I told
then which Bank to send it to (when you leave, seems like they lose
access to the records they need to pay the money back)

Wm

Feb 24, 2018, 9:24:29 AM2/24/18
On 23/02/2018 17:08, John Hall wrote:
> In message <p3sc9j$bnk$1...@adenine.netfront.net>, Peter Hill
> <free...@skyshack.demon.co.uk> writes
>> Found an E-mail today in my Junk folder. They didn't send it "to" my
>> account admin address which they do know and use as, my E-bills go to
>> it. My "Demon" filter only looks at the "To:" and it matched no
>> filters so off to the junk it went.
>>
>> From: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
>> To: "Balfour, Graham, Vodafone UK" <graham....@vodafone.com>
>> Subject: Demon Upgrade To Vodafone Business
>>
>> Good Afternoon,
>>
>> Hope You are well,
>>
>> I am contacting you today regarding your existing Demon broadband
>> connection. The old Demon broadband network is coming to end of life
>> so we are actively contacting all our customers who are still using
>> the old network to find out which of our new Vodafone services will
>> suite best to migrate you over to..
> <snip>
>
> Well I've just received my annual invoice email for my "DEMON BUSINESS
> LITE + CONNECT - Annual (24)" for the coming 12 months. So either they
> are happy for me to continue as is for another year, or they've cocked
> up. As I imagine the sending of invoices is automated, that's certainly
> possible.

I'm going to e-mail Mr Balfour and CC someone nearer the top in an
attempt to clarify things.

Apart from the obvious "When does life actually end ?" question what do
other people think I should ask / say ?

I'll report back here anything I get back (legalities allowing).

--
Wm

Richard_CC

Feb 24, 2018, 1:37:51 PM2/24/18
Ask him if its suite in the sense of tout de or lounge?

John Hall

Feb 24, 2018, 2:07:18 PM2/24/18
In message <p6rsis$ga2$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk>
writes
>I'm going to e-mail Mr Balfour and CC someone nearer the top in an
>attempt to clarify things.

Good idea.

>Apart from the obvious "When does life actually end ?" question what do
>other people think I should ask / say ?

"Do you have valid contact details - either email and/or postal - for
all your remaining Demon customers (demon.co.uk email addresses are
insufficient, as not everyone took up the Namesco offer)? If not, then
how do you intend to inform them of that end of life, without their
having to find out the hard way when their broadband stops working?"

>I'll report back here anything I get back (legalities allowing).

Thanks.

Wm

Feb 26, 2018, 6:00:15 AM2/26/18
On 24/02/2018 19:04, John Hall wrote:

> "Do you have valid contact details - either email and/or postal - for
> all your remaining Demon customers (demon.co.uk email addresses are
> insufficient, as not everyone took up the Namesco offer)? If not, then
> how do you intend to inform them of that end of life, without their
> having to find out the hard way when their broadband stops working?"

Good point.

All: is anyone using a contact address that is different to the one used
for billing or am I fairly safe in saying that the address used for
money (land or e-mail) is the one most likely to be responded to ?

I'm thinking of trying to limit the number of wrong addresses they might
try to use for future communications in general and presuming they must
have a channel for communicating with (to borrow an old BT phrase) "the
person that pays the bill".

To invert the question, can anyone think of a reason why vodafone
shouldn't be using the money address for general communications
(including sales offers) for the demon rump ?

--
Wm

Wm

Feb 26, 2018, 6:45:21 AM2/26/18
On 24/02/2018 18:37, Richard_CC wrote:

>> I'm going to e-mail Mr Balfour and CC someone nearer the top in an
>> attempt to clarify things.

> Ask him if its suite in the sense of tout de or lounge?

Heh, it would be fun but I'm actually going for clarification rather
than amusement with the CC even though it may be out of character for my
usenet persona.

The CC'd person (or more likely someone in their PA / admin team) may
ask Mr B to see an original email and will form their own judgement of
his language skills.

The "suite" is part of the reason I think this was a ham-fisted [1]
sales attempt, you don't (or shouldn't) dump a whole load of customers
who have contracts without getting someone else to look at the message
these days.

Broadband connectivity (as opposed to services on top of that
connectivity like email or usenet) is viewed more like a utility by
governmental / regulatory flox these days which is why I think this
thread is about something different to "we don't want to play email any
more".

===

Yes, I know I have overloaded Richard's intended humorous posting
somewhat (apols if necessary, Richard).

My reasoning is if I'm going to write to a boss I should explain why and
see what other people say as there have been a number of people that
have said things along the lines of "they pulled email so why not
broadband ?" and I think they're very different things to terminate.

[1] other cured and fermented foods are available, plenty for vegans and
other selective eaters too, but koji-fisted just isn't in common use ...

--
Wm

Martin Brown

Feb 26, 2018, 8:42:54 AM2/26/18
On 26/02/2018 11:45, Wm wrote:
> On 24/02/2018 18:37, Richard_CC wrote:
>
>>> I'm going to e-mail Mr Balfour and CC someone nearer the top in an
>>> attempt to clarify things.
>
>> Ask him if its suite in the sense of tout de or lounge?
>
> Heh, it would be fun but I'm actually going for clarification rather
> than amusement with the CC even though it may be out of character for my
> usenet persona.
>
> The CC'd person (or more likely someone in their PA / admin team) may
> ask Mr B to see an original email and will form their own judgement of
> his language skills.
>
> The "suite" is part of the reason I think this was a ham-fisted [1]
> sales attempt, you don't (or shouldn't) dump a whole load of customers
> who have contracts without getting someone else to look at the message
> these days.

It might even be a genuine offer to give you a better FTTC based
Vodafone broadband service if you abandon your legacy *.dcu subdomain.

> My reasoning is if I'm going to write to a boss I should explain why and
> see what other people say as there have been a number of people that
> have said things along the lines of "they pulled email so why not
> broadband ?" and I think they're very different things to terminate.

I expect the response after D-day will be "But we informed you by email
months ago that this would happen if you didn't reply by 1st April".

As Vogon Jeltz put it the plans have been on display at Alpha Centuri
for 50 of your Earth years so its no good whinging about it now...

> [1] other cured and fermented foods are available, plenty for vegans and
> other selective eaters too, but koji-fisted just isn't in common use ...

I expect it looks and smells like Nattou (fermented soy beans)...
(think Evo stick crossed with baked beans smelling like old dustbin)

An acquired taste but not too bad if you like blue cheese and can get
past the smell. Durian fruit is another good one in that respect.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Wm

Feb 26, 2018, 9:41:04 AM2/26/18
On 26/02/2018 13:42, Martin Brown wrote:

>>> Ask him if its suite in the sense of tout de or lounge?
>>
>> Heh, it would be fun but I'm actually going for clarification rather
>> than amusement with the CC even though it may be out of character for
>> my usenet persona.
>>
>> The CC'd person (or more likely someone in their PA / admin team) may
>> ask Mr B to see an original email and will form their own judgement of
>> his language skills.
>>
>> The "suite" is part of the reason I think this was a ham-fisted [1]
>> sales attempt, you don't (or shouldn't) dump a whole load of customers
>> who have contracts without getting someone else to look at the message
>> these days.
>
> It might even be a genuine offer to give you a better FTTC based
> Vodafone broadband service if you abandon your legacy *.dcu subdomain.

possibly ... except I don't have a *.dcu subdomain any more that I'm
aware of [1], I just have the connection and he (whoever he is) hasn't
bothered to contact me about that.

Q: does anyone have any idea / feeling what proportion of people decided
to keep a dcu address ? My impression is that most educated demonites
already had independent e-mail facilities by the time the landlord said
"last orders, please".

>> My reasoning is if I'm going to write to a boss I should explain why
>> and see what other people say as there have been a number of people
>> that have said things along the lines of "they pulled email so why not
>> broadband ?" and I think they're very different things to terminate.
>
> I expect the response after D-day will be "But we informed you by email
> months ago that this would happen if you didn't reply by 1st April".

Except they didn't and, as I have said, the actual connection
termination is likely to be frowned on by regulatory people.

> As Vogon Jeltz put it the plans have been on display at Alpha Centuri
> for 50 of your Earth years  so its no good whinging about it now...

aka various things including

1. you are dumb fuckers for not heeding my warning! Doom! Doom!
2. I was right, you are all wrong. Told you so!
3. Not helpful
4. etc

>> [1] other cured and fermented foods are available, plenty for vegans
>> and other selective eaters too, but koji-fisted just isn't in common
>> use ...
>
> I expect it looks and smells like Nattou (fermented soy beans)...

yup

> (think Evo stick crossed with baked beans smelling like old dustbin)

dunno, I kinda like visiting funky food

> An acquired taste but not too bad if you like blue cheese and can get
> past the smell. Durian fruit is another good one in that respect.

durian is still on my list, a young colleague who had recently been in
Thailand said "no!" when I offered to buy one at a market on our way to
a restaurant for lunch a few months ago. He said he'd be sick. I'm
still interested in trying it out for myself.

[1] if I still have a dcu address and someone is sending email to it
then they need to speak to someone further up the line because I'm not
getting the messages. [2] I do accept email to my old dcu address, it
is just that nothing gets to it as far as I can tell.

[2] this is why I'm going to use a CC

--
Wm

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Feb 26, 2018, 10:17:14 AM2/26/18
In message <p7169v$8j8$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk>
writes:
[]
>Q: does anyone have any idea / feeling what proportion of people
>decided to keep a dcu address ? My impression is that most educated
>demonites already had independent e-mail facilities by the time the
>landlord said "last orders, please".

In broader terms, does anyone (outside Vofadone [TWATBILI], and possibly
not even them!) know how many *.dcu addresses/domains/whatever remained
in existence (a) at the point Demon handed over to Names.co (b) at the
point Names.co changed their offering (c) now?

>>> My reasoning is if I'm going to write to a boss I should explain why
>>>and see what other people say as there have been a number of people
>>>that have said things along the lines of "they pulled email so why
>>>not broadband ?" and I think they're very different things to terminate.
>> I expect the response after D-day will be "But we informed you by
>>email months ago that this would happen if you didn't reply by 1st
>>April".
>
>Except they didn't and, as I have said, the actual connection
>termination is likely to be frowned on by regulatory people.

Agreed, but - unless it's a sizeable number of people - unlikely to
result in significant punishment. "We're sorry, we got it wrong, and
we've given both of the people affected 50 pounds to apologise" is
likely to be accepted by the regulators, IMO. (I don't think the
regulators are _that_ bothered about the end user - despite that being a
large part of why they were set up in the first place - unless a large
number of people are affected, and/or some group which makes good bad
publicity, such as the elderly non-techy.)
[]

The first banjo solo I played was actually just a series of mistakes. In fact
it was all the mistakes I knew at the time. - Tim Dowling, RT2015/6/20-26

Wm

Feb 26, 2018, 11:01:48 AM2/26/18
On 26/02/2018 15:15, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> and/or some group which makes good bad
> publicity, such as the elderly non-techy.)

As opposed to "people like us" who are over the 50 cusp *and* techy :)

Q: when do I become elderly ? Is it only when my parents (both alive at
the time of writing) die ? What choices for people removed from their
parents, etc. are they elderly when they lose their parents ? No, o
course not. I am confused about who is "elderly" these days though, is
it my parents or me and my parents :)

--
Wm

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Feb 26, 2018, 11:23:21 AM2/26/18
In message <p71b1b$crm$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk>
writes:
>On 26/02/2018 15:15, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>
>> and/or some group which makes good bad
>> publicity, such as the elderly non-techy.)
>
>As opposed to "people like us" who are over the 50 cusp *and* techy :)

Yes, that's why I added the "non-techy". (I'm assuming anyone here is
techy.) I meant, OfCom (and similar) seem to have little interest in
end-users, unless they are a group that the media can show being
disadvantaged: it's a stereotype, but the "little old lady" who just
wants to watch her "telly" is the sort the media can identify (and
usually find an example of) when they do an article on how technical
change can confuse such groups. (As they might, for example, about the
continued whittling away of the TV broadcast band. In fact, I wish they
would!) But OfCom and other regulators probably aren't going to fine (at
least not in an amount that'd make _any_ difference) Vodafone for
breaking the contract of the three remaining demon customers, even if it
is a breach of contract; it's just a small and un-sypathy-worth group of
people, which no media is going to do an article on (too complicated for
them to explain/understand), and without such coverage, the regulators
won't regulate.

>Q: when do I become elderly ? Is it only when my parents (both alive
>at the time of writing) die ? What choices for people removed from
>their parents, etc. are they elderly when they lose their parents ? No,
>o course not. I am confused about who is "elderly" these days though,
>is it my parents or me and my parents :)

I think it's more a state of mind (and, sadly, perhaps health) than a
definite age now. I have a friend who turned 80 last month, but is still
extremely full of beans, and although not _that_ computer-literate, does
use technology with enthusiasm. I have also in my life known people who
were "old" in their fifties. I'm 57, and don't feel "elderly", though
definitely not "young".

"If just one child is saved, then we'll have created a police state for the
benefit of just one child."

John Hall

Feb 26, 2018, 1:14:16 PM2/26/18
In message <p70s0g$v1d$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk>
writes
>Broadband connectivity (as opposed to services on top of that
>connectivity like email or usenet) is viewed more like a utility by
>governmental / regulatory flox these days which is why I think this
>thread is about something different to "we don't want to play email any
>more".

Yes, it probably falls under Ofcom's remit.

John Hall

Feb 26, 2018, 1:24:16 PM2/26/18
In message <p712ss$1e9i$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> writes
<snip>
>I expect the response after D-day will be "But we informed you by email
>months ago that this would happen if you didn't reply by 1st April".

Hopefully they won't try that one on me, as they have my current email
address in their ebilling application (which luckily I remembered to
update when my dcu email address went kaput) and manage to send me a
yearly invoice.

John Hall

Feb 26, 2018, 1:24:16 PM2/26/18
In message <p70pbu$cv4$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk>
writes
>To invert the question, can anyone think of a reason why vodafone
>shouldn't be using the money address for general communications
>(including sales offers) for the demon rump ?

Stupidity? Or to put it a slightly kinder way: left hand not knowing
what right hand is doing.

Martin Brown

Feb 26, 2018, 1:59:50 PM2/26/18
On 26/02/2018 18:14, John Hall wrote:
> In message <p712ss$1e9i$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown
> <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> writes
> <snip>
>> I expect the response after D-day will be "But we informed you by
>> email months ago that this would happen if you didn't reply by 1st
>> April".
>
> Hopefully they won't try that one on me, as they have my current email
> address in their ebilling application (which luckily I remembered to
> update when my dcu email address went kaput) and manage to send me a
> yearly invoice.

They managed to send me yearly invoices as well without ever bothering
to tell me that email was being discontinued. Odd that the beancounters
can communicate reliably even when the rest of the organisation cannot.

First I heard of it was on here.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Wm

Feb 26, 2018, 4:42:41 PM2/26/18
On 26/02/2018 18:59, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 26/02/2018 18:14, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <p712ss$1e9i$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown
>> <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> writes
>> <snip>
>>> I expect the response after D-day will be "But we informed you by
>>> email months ago that this would happen if you didn't reply by 1st
>>> April".
>>
>> Hopefully they won't try that one on me, as they have my current email
>> address in their ebilling application (which luckily I remembered to
>> update when my dcu email address went kaput) and manage to send me a
>> yearly invoice.
>
> They managed to send me yearly invoices as well without ever bothering
> to tell me that email was being discontinued.

Sigh, were you being charged for email? Almost certainly not.

> Odd that the beancounters
> can communicate reliably even when the rest of the organisation cannot.

Not odd at all, I am relying on the money channel for help in sorting
this out.

> First I heard of it was on here.

I am not your therapist and don't really need to go through this with
you. Also, as far as we know, there isn't anything to have heard yet
except a sales attempt.

--
Wm

Martin Brown

Feb 27, 2018, 4:54:42 AM2/27/18
On 26/02/2018 21:42, Wm wrote:
> On 26/02/2018 18:59, Martin Brown wrote:
>> On 26/02/2018 18:14, John Hall wrote:
>>> In message <p712ss$1e9i$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown
>>> <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> writes
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Hopefully they won't try that one on me, as they have my current
>>> email address in their ebilling application (which luckily I
>>> remembered to update when my dcu email address went kaput) and manage
>>> to send me a yearly invoice.
>>
>> They managed to send me yearly invoices as well without ever bothering
>> to tell me that email was being discontinued.
>
> Sigh, were you being charged for email?  Almost certainly not.

No - but I wasn't informed of its discontinuation by the cowboys that
now run Demon despite the fact they know my billing email address. They
also monumentally cocked up the transfer to Namesco piss up and brewery.

>> Odd that the beancounters can communicate reliably even when the rest
>> of the organisation cannot.
>
> Not odd at all, I am relying on the money channel for help in sorting
> this out.

Good luck with that.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Richard_CC

Feb 27, 2018, 5:13:21 AM2/27/18
On 26/02/2018 18:59, Martin Brown wrote:
> They managed to send me yearly invoices as well without ever bothering
> to tell me that email was being discontinued. Odd that the beancounters
> can communicate reliably even when the rest of the organisation cannot.

A lot of organisations keep anything to do with payments including
contact details in a separate bunker for security.

Frustrating for the customer but it means a support or sales person
can't generate phishing type payment demands or sell a list to bad
people. The number and turnover of staff in some of these companies
means you can't vet and closely watch all of them, and courts are
increasingly finding companies vicariously liable for the misdeeds of
their employees.

You would have though that Voda/Demon could have asked accounts to send
an email on their behalf, but I doubt the organisation is that joined up.

Graeme Wall

Feb 27, 2018, 5:29:23 AM2/27/18
On 27/02/2018 10:13, Richard_CC wrote:
> On 26/02/2018 18:59, Martin Brown wrote:
>> They managed to send me yearly invoices as well without ever bothering
>> to tell me that email was being discontinued. Odd that the
>> beancounters can communicate reliably even when the rest of the
>> organisation cannot.
>
> A lot of organisations keep anything to do with payments including
> contact details in a separate bunker for security.
>
> Frustrating for the customer but it means a support or sales person
> can't generate phishing type payment demands or sell a list to bad
> people.  The number and turnover of staff in some of these companies
> means you can't vet and closely watch all of them, and courts are
> increasingly finding companies vicariously liable for the misdeeds of
> their employees.

Didn't stop Vodaphone spamming me with adverts for mobile phone services
when they took over Demon.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Wm

Feb 27, 2018, 7:15:09 AM2/27/18
On 27/02/2018 09:54, Martin Brown wrote:

> Good luck with that.

Why do you keep on thinking I need luck ?

Or is it just something you say to everyone ?

--
Wm

Martin Brown

Feb 27, 2018, 8:44:07 AM2/27/18
On 27/02/2018 12:15, Wm wrote:
> On 27/02/2018 09:54, Martin Brown wrote:
>
>> Good luck with that.
>
> Why do you keep on thinking I need luck ?

OK Then. Voodoo magic might be more appropriate for summoning a Demon.

Do let us know how you get on... legalities permitting.

> Or is it just something you say to everyone ?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Wm

Mar 1, 2018, 5:32:38 PM3/1/18
On 24/02/2018 14:24, Wm wrote:
2018-03-01 No reply yet.
--
Wm

Wm

Mar 2, 2018, 11:48:01 AM3/2/18
I think the reason I found your "Good luck with that" offensive was
because it dismissed other people's concerns and I think that is because
you are no longer concerned.

You're just here for the chadenfreude, right?

My impression, possibly incorrect, is that you don't give a fuck about
other people and what actually happens to them.

I and a few other people do care.

--
Wm

Wm

Mar 3, 2018, 6:08:24 AM3/3/18
Does the panel think I should try another CC or just leave it?

Remember, I didn't think this was genuine in the first place but other
people did OR were taken in OR it may still be real.

--
Wm

John Hall

Mar 3, 2018, 3:53:51 PM3/3/18
In message <p7dvn6$n56$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk>
writes
>On 01/03/2018 22:32, Wm wrote:
>> 2018-03-01 No reply yet.
>
>Does the panel think I should try another CC or just leave it?

Given that it's only been two days, the second of which was a Saturday,
I think it would be premature to email again. Especially as, if the
email went to the guy's office computer, the weather on Friday might
easily have prevented him from getting to his office, depending on the
location. And of course some people don't go through their inbox every
day.

>Remember, I didn't think this was genuine in the first place but other
>people did OR were taken in OR it may still be real.

I am inclined to think that it was genuine.

st...@chigtow.demon.co.uk

Mar 4, 2018, 8:18:20 PM3/4/18
Just worked out how to post here😅.
Just to add my 2 penneths. I also received the email, a couple of weeks ago. I phoned demon help desk to check. He confirmed vodaphone were closing the old demon network but he couldnt/wouldnt give a time scale. When i asked what would happen to my inernet connection if i did nothing i felt he was non commital. Make of that what u will. It took 2 years before their email campaign forced me on to names. Btw my old demon home page web site is still out there so the servers are still running. Wonder if the email ones still are.

Peter Hill

Mar 5, 2018, 4:46:26 AM3/5/18
On 05-Mar-18 1:18 AM, st...@chigtow.demon.co.uk wrote:
> Just worked out how to post here😅.
> Just to add my 2 penneths. I also received the email, a couple of weeks ago. I phoned demon help desk to check. He confirmed vodaphone were closing the old demon network but he couldnt/wouldnt give a time scale. When i asked what would happen to my inernet connection if i did nothing i felt he was non commital. Make of that what u will. It took 2 years before their email campaign forced me on to names. Btw my old demon home page web site is still out there so the servers are still running. Wonder if the email ones still are.

So what it sounds like is "lets use FUD to boil down the client base a
bit more so we don't get ofcom slapping us with a big penalty and making
us pay compensation when we switch it off".

namesco took over all hostname.demon.co.uk web sites and serve them from
new servers. Do a "tracert www.hostname.demon.co.uk" and you will see
that demon routes though CW! and then to namesco. They copied everything
from demon servers including the free web space that came with dial up
and should have been deleted when people upgraded to "business" ADSL. In
some cases the website now served up is a day or 2 older than the last
revision as users could still access and make changes to the demon
servers after the copy was made.

What they want to "switch off" is the demon and CW routers. (then they
free up all the IP addr that those networks route and can route them as
"vodaphone")

If you want access to make changes "your" site you have to pay namesco.

st...@chigtow.demon.co.uk

Mar 5, 2018, 9:57:30 AM3/5/18
Fud, that was my initial impression. But im assuming it will happen sometime😕😠😢

John Hall

Mar 5, 2018, 11:47:32 AM3/5/18
In message <mpro.p54kg8...@ypical.nospam.invalid>, Fred
Bambrough <fredb@[127.0.0.1]> writes
>In message <722a6e9a-0c72-4c4d...@googlegroups.com>
> st...@chigtow.demon.co.uk wrote:
>
>> Fud, that was my initial impression. But im assuming it will happen
>> sometime0 >
>Hmm, Googlegroups allows emoji on usenet.

But those of us not using Googlegroups won't see them.

Wm

Mar 5, 2018, 12:27:04 PM3/5/18
On 03/03/2018 20:48, John Hall wrote:
> In message <p7dvn6$n56$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> On 01/03/2018 22:32, Wm wrote:
>>>  2018-03-01 No reply yet.
>>
>> Does the panel think I should try another CC or just leave it?
>
> Given that it's only been two days, the second of which was a Saturday,
> I think it would be premature to email again. Especially as, if the
> email went to the guy's office computer, the weather on Friday might
> easily have prevented him from getting to his office, depending on the
> location. And of course some people don't go through their inbox every day.

True

>> Remember, I didn't think this was genuine in the first place but other
>> people did OR were taken in OR it may still be real.
>>

> I am inclined to think that it was genuine.

Doesn't that lean towards incompetent communication on the part of
Vodafone who are one of the world's larger companies and should know
better ?

--
Wm

Wm

Mar 5, 2018, 1:00:52 PM3/5/18
On 03/03/2018 20:48, John Hall wrote:
> In message <p7dvn6$n56$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> On 01/03/2018 22:32, Wm wrote:
>>>  2018-03-01 No reply yet.
>>
>> Does the panel think I should try another CC or just leave it?
>
> Given that it's only been two days, the second of which was a Saturday,
> I think it would be premature to email again. Especially as, if the
> email went to the guy's office computer, the weather on Friday might
> easily have prevented him from getting to his office, depending on the
> location. And of course some people don't go through their inbox every day.
>

>> Remember, I didn't think this was genuine in the first place but other
>> people did OR were taken in OR it may still be real.
>>

> I am inclined to think that it was genuine.

Belief if good.

John Hall

Mar 5, 2018, 1:17:35 PM3/5/18
In message <mpro.p54pfk...@ypical.nospam.invalid>, Fred
Bambrough <fredbare@[127.0.0.1]> writes
>In message <bG2vg0A8KXnaFwYZ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
> John Hall <john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <mpro.p54kg8...@ypical.nospam.invalid>, Fred
>> Bambrough <fredb@[127.0.0.1]> writes

>> > Hmm, Googlegroups allows emoji on usenet.
>>
>> But those of us not using Googlegroups won't see them.
>
>Except I am. Must depend on newsreader.

Looks like it. I see from the headers that we're using the same news
server, so it's not that.

John Hall

Mar 5, 2018, 1:17:35 PM3/5/18
In message <p7jul7$hgs$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk>
writes
>Doesn't that lean towards incompetent communication on the part of
>Vodafone who are one of the world's larger companies and should know
>better ?

Incompetence never comes as a surprise, sadly.

Peter Hill

Mar 5, 2018, 2:48:35 PM3/5/18
On 05-Mar-18 6:11 PM, John Hall wrote:
> In message <mpro.p54pfk...@ypical.nospam.invalid>, Fred
> Bambrough <fredbare@[127.0.0.1]> writes
>> In message <bG2vg0A8KXnaFwYZ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> John Hall
>> <john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <mpro.p54kg8...@ypical.nospam.invalid>, Fred
>>> Bambrough <fredb@[127.0.0.1]> writes

>>> But those of us not using Googlegroups won't see them.
>>
>> Except I am. Must depend on newsreader.
>
> Looks like it. I see from the headers that we're using the same news
> server, so it's not that.

I saw them on Thunderbird.

What does it do with text emoji :-) :o)

John Hall

Mar 5, 2018, 3:17:37 PM3/5/18
In message <p7k6uh$fel$1...@adenine.netfront.net>, Peter Hill
<free...@skyshack.demon.co.uk> writes
Text is text, emoji or not. :) I'm using Turnpike, and that's strictly
text only, and is in accordance with what at the time was the relevant
RFC for news (which conceivably might have been superseded by a new RFC
by now).

Peter Hill

Mar 5, 2018, 3:25:51 PM3/5/18
When read TB renders : - ) as an emoji and the :o) as text.

When composing they all revert to text.

Text emoji have been around a long time. It's just the E-mail and
newsreader being clever. If you actually want a colon, dash, opening
bracket you may have to think about a space :-(.

st...@chigtow.demon.co.uk

Mar 6, 2018, 2:29:57 AM3/6/18
Have to say, im not a prolific emoji or smiley user. Just an old guy trying to keep with it. Just saw the button and thought it an apt way to express the joys woes and pains of being a current demon customer

Martin Brown

Mar 6, 2018, 3:32:40 AM3/6/18
On 05/03/2018 16:39, John Hall wrote:
> In message <mpro.p54kg8...@ypical.nospam.invalid>, Fred
> Bambrough <fredb@[127.0.0.1]> writes
>> In message <722a6e9a-0c72-4c4d...@googlegroups.com>
>>     st...@chigtow.demon.co.uk wrote:
>>
>>> Fud,  that was my initial impression. But im assuming it will happen
>>> sometime0 >
>> Hmm, Googlegroups allows emoji on usenet.
>
> But those of us not using Googlegroups won't see them.

Thunderbird displays them quite happily.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Wm

Mar 6, 2018, 5:05:14 AM3/6/18
On 05/03/2018 09:46, Peter Hill wrote:
> What they want to "switch off" is the demon and CW routers. (then they
> free up all the IP addr that those networks route and can route them as
> "vodaphone")

I'm repeating myself but I think my IP address may be quite valuable.
Not a lot in real money, perhaps, but certainly enough for an attractive
offer to be made rather than a threat.

--
Wm

David Rance

Mar 6, 2018, 5:07:09 AM3/6/18
On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 18:11:47 John Hall wrote:

>In message <mpro.p54pfk...@ypical.nospam.invalid>, Fred
>Bambrough <fredbare@[127.0.0.1]> writes
>>In message <bG2vg0A8KXnaFwYZ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
>> John Hall <john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <mpro.p54kg8...@ypical.nospam.invalid>, Fred
>>> Bambrough <fredb@[127.0.0.1]> writes

>>> But those of us not using Googlegroups won't see them.
>>
>>Except I am. Must depend on newsreader.
>
>Looks like it. I see from the headers that we're using the same news
>server, so it's not that.

Turnpike won't display them but if there's an option to use a viewer
they will appear correctly on that. Steve's message gave me that option
and the emoji renders correctly on Windows Notepad.

Strange!

I looked at the raw text and couldn't see why Turnpike treated the text
as "attached text". I think it was simply the presence of the emoji that
caused it and gave the option.

David

Martin Brown

Mar 6, 2018, 5:08:20 AM3/6/18
On 05/03/2018 09:46, Peter Hill wrote:
> On 05-Mar-18 1:18 AM, st...@chigtow.demon.co.uk wrote:
>> Just worked out how to post here😅.
>> Just to add my 2 penneths. I also received the email, a couple of
>> weeks ago. I phoned demon help desk to check. He confirmed vodaphone
>> were closing the old demon network but he couldnt/wouldnt give a time
>> scale. When i asked what would happen to my inernet connection if i
>> did nothing i felt he was non commital. Make of that what u will. It
>> took 2 years before their email campaign forced me on to names. Btw my
>> old demon home page web site is still out there so the servers are
>> still running. Wonder if the email ones still are.
>
> So what it sounds like is "lets use FUD to boil down the client base a
> bit more so we don't get ofcom slapping us with a big penalty and making
> us pay compensation when we switch it off".

Even as a critic of Vodafone for their infamously poor communication
with customers I think they intend to persuade residual ADSL connected
Demonites with the inducement of FTTC Vodafone upgrades if you move
over. That seems to me a fair offer if you want to stay with them.

> namesco took over all hostname.demon.co.uk web sites and serve them from
> new servers. Do a "tracert www.hostname.demon.co.uk" and you will see
> that demon routes though CW! and then to namesco. They copied everything
> from demon servers including the free web space that came with dial up
> and should have been deleted when people upgraded to "business" ADSL. In
> some cases the website now served up is a day or 2 older than the last
> revision as users could still access and make changes to the demon
> servers after the copy was made.

I only monitor this group in case they finally kill off *.demon.co.uk so
that I will know about it with luck before it happens. Inertia rules.

> What they want to "switch off" is the demon and CW routers. (then they
> free up all the IP addr that those networks route and can route them as
> "vodaphone")
>
> If you want access to make changes "your" site you have to pay namesco.

Getting them to delete unwanted sites is also possible but you have to
jump through quite a few hoops to do so. Demon failed to give them any
identifying information about the customers they threw over the wall.

Namesco vs Demon confused communications still sometimes cause me grief.
Demon managed last year to corrupt my MX records so that some corporate
SPF based mail filters thought I was injecting forged emails and binned
them so that they vanished without a bounce. It still isn't quite right
but it isn't yet causing me any problems.

There is now a phantom nesumi.demon.co.uk that they created by typo :(

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

John Hall

Mar 6, 2018, 5:20:53 AM3/6/18
In message <K7oAtuMD...@david.rance.org.uk>, David Rance
<david...@SPAMOFF.invalid> writes
>Turnpike won't display them but if there's an option to use a viewer
>they will appear correctly on that. Steve's message gave me that option
>and the emoji renders correctly on Windows Notepad.
>
>Strange!
>
>I looked at the raw text and couldn't see why Turnpike treated the text
>as "attached text". I think it was simply the presence of the emoji
>that caused it and gave the option.

You're quite right. I'd never even noticed that. In my case, the viewer
cane up as my browser, Chrome, but for some reason it displays the
emojis as squares.

Ian

Mar 6, 2018, 5:47:51 AM3/6/18
In message <K7oAtuMD...@david.rance.org.uk>, David Rance
<david...@SPAMOFF.invalid> writes
So now we have a situation where TP is no longer good enough.

Most emails from businesses are now web pages, forcing us to open a web
browser, and now we're expected to open a text editor to view an
infantile image in a Usenet post.

The image doesn't even show, which may encourage me to just delete any
posts with an attachment, as I do with html "emails" that are not
useful. (;¬(
--
Ian

st...@chigtow.demon.co.uk

Mar 6, 2018, 6:14:02 AM3/6/18
Take u never went to see the movie😅 (lol)

Wm

Mar 6, 2018, 6:41:57 AM3/6/18
On 06/03/2018 10:08, Martin Brown wrote:

> Even as a critic of Vodafone for their infamously poor communication
> with customers I think they intend to persuade residual ADSL connected
> Demonites with the inducement of FTTC Vodafone upgrades if you move
> over. That seems to me a fair offer if you want to stay with them.

That only works if they communicate with us.

It is, I suppose, possible that they are going for the namesco people
first as they are probably more vulnerable to a threat rather than an offer.

> I only monitor this group in case they finally kill off *.demon.co.uk so
> that I will know about it with luck before it happens. Inertia rules.

I'm certain it will happen.

> Demon failed to give them any
> identifying information about the customers they threw over the wall.

Not true. They have a money related address for everyone.

--
Wm

Tim Lamb

Mar 6, 2018, 6:55:07 AM3/6/18
In message <p7luq5$iqb$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk>
writes
Interestingly I have just received a mail from Vodafone headed Demon
ADSL2+ Upgrade to Vodafone Business Fibre (their capitals:-)
copied below..

<<

I am contacting you today regarding your existing Demon broadband
connection. The old Demon broadband network is coming to end of life so
we are actively contacting all of our customers who are still using the
old network to find out which of our new Vodafone services would be best
suited to your needs and get you migrated across to the new platform.

This is a great time to make this change as we have some great offers on
at the moment including discounts for existing Demon customers so this
will help reduce your costs and at the same time improve the speed and
service.

We offer standalone ADSL2+ packages starting from as little as £9.33pm
and £17.50pm for business fibre broadband and landline package.

If you would like to discuss this options available to you please let me
know and I can give you a call, alternatively please feel free to
contact me on my DDI below or reply to this email and I will do all of
the necessary checks.

Sound familiar?
I have an idea this also occurred a year or so back. When I tried to
follow up it transpired my line/service/whatever was unsuitable.
Certainly no fibre within 400m.

--
Tim Lamb

Simon Turner

Mar 6, 2018, 12:53:12 PM3/6/18
On Tuesday, in article <XZafppEu...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
ne...@nospam.demon.co.uk "Ian" wrote:

> In message <K7oAtuMD...@david.rance.org.uk>, David Rance
> <david...@SPAMOFF.invalid> writes

>>> Looks like it. I see from the headers that we're using the same news
>>> server, so it's not that.
>>
>> Turnpike won't display them but if there's an option to use a viewer
>> they will appear correctly on that. Steve's message gave me that option
>> and the emoji renders correctly on Windows Notepad.
>>
>> Strange!
>>
>> I looked at the raw text and couldn't see why Turnpike treated the text
>> as "attached text". I think it was simply the presence of the emoji
>> that caused it and gave the option.
>>
>> David
>
> So now we have a situation where TP is no longer good enough.

Sadly, yes; TP doesn't seem to be Unicode-compatible, and a lot of
software these days uses Unicode rather than 7-bit ASCII or 8-bit
ISO-8859-1, both of which are hopelessly inadequate for many non-English
languages and alphabets.

The emoticons in question were valid Unicode characters, correctly
encoded in a MIME message with charset "UTF-8"; but it appears that TP
can't cope with that.

TP is MIME-compatible: it puts MIME headers in its messages, and clearly
groks the ISO-8859-1 charset. Sadly, the rest of the world has moved on
to Unicode, and left TP behind.

(I'm still using DOS SNews, which doesn't even get MIME; it requires
quite a bit of manual intervention to handle Unicode messages! 8-)

--
Simon Turner DoD #0461
si...@twoplaces.co.uk

Wm

Mar 6, 2018, 1:13:45 PM3/6/18
On 06/03/2018 11:54, Tim Lamb wrote:

> Interestingly I have just received a mail from Vodafone headed Demon
> ADSL2+ Upgrade to Vodafone Business Fibre (their capitals:-)
> copied below..

Is it from MrGB or someone else ? I think the broken english below
suggests it is the same person.

I'm wondering if the description of the service is germane. If I look
at my last invoice I'm getting
===
Demon Business Lite + (Monthly 24)
Notes:(NGB) Demon Business 2+ Monthly 2009 (24)
===

I'm not sure what NGB is and the search engine answers aren't making
sense so unless you (the reader) know what it means we can probably
ignore that.

> <<
>
> I am contacting you today regarding your existing Demon broadband
> connection. The old Demon broadband network is coming to end of life so
> we are actively contacting all of our customers who are still using the
> old network to find out which of our new Vodafone services would be best
> suited to your needs and get you migrated across to the new platform.

But no indication of _when_ ?

Maybe my english skills are failing me but I think it is usual to say
when something is going to die if you are telling someone else something
is going to die. Otherwise it would be a kool thing for me to spam the
whole world saying "since you are inevitably going to die, please give
me all your money before then" and we'd all be doing it vaguely hoping
someone will fall for it.

> This is a great time to make this change as we have some great offers on
> at the moment including discounts for existing Demon customers so this
> will help reduce your costs and at the same time improve the speed and
> service.
>

> We offer standalone ADSL2+ packages starting from as little as £9.33pm
> and £17.50pm for business fibre broadband and landline package.

That doesn't sound like a very good offer to me. I'm paying less than
GBP17.50 for my landline based service and I think the GBP9.33 offer is
rate limited <-- I could be wrong about the last bit but plead confusing
website.

> If you would like to discuss this options available to you please let me
> know and I can give you a call, alternatively please feel free to
> contact me on my DDI below or reply to this email and I will do all of
> the necessary checks.

Does anyone know what a DDI is ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDI
doesn't help me understand.

also, "this options" rather than "these options" ? If english isn't
your first language it only takes a minute to ask a co-leuge to scan
your message for obvious mistakes.

> Sound familiar?

Rather

> I have an idea this also occurred a year or so back. When I tried to
> follow up it transpired my line/service/whatever was unsuitable.
> Certainly no fibre within 400m.

Can anyone think of a reason why some people are getting this "offer"
and others aren't?

thoughts:

rural vs urban ?

getting difficult to connect customers onto new contracts before the
governemnet insists providers have to extend good service to all ?

something else ? <-- probably

--
Wm

John Hall

Mar 6, 2018, 1:31:19 PM3/6/18
In message <96583196-d394-4a2b...@googlegroups.com>,
st...@chigtow.demon.co.uk writes
>Take u never went to see the movie0
ISTR that my newspaper's reviewer gave it the worst review that I've
ever seen for any film, so I wasn't tempted to. :)

John Hall

Mar 6, 2018, 1:31:19 PM3/6/18
In message <20180306.175...@twoplaces.co.uk>, Simon Turner
<si...@twoplaces.co.uk> writes
>TP is MIME-compatible: it puts MIME headers in its messages, and
>clearly groks the ISO-8859-1 charset. Sadly, the rest of the world has
>moved on to Unicode, and left TP behind.

I wonder if the RFCs for mail and news have been updated to allow the
use of Unicode? It may be that what other applications now allow isn't
strictly speaking permitted. Of course nowadays that's a point that is
only of theoretical interest.

John Hall

Mar 6, 2018, 2:11:19 PM3/6/18
In message <p7luq5$iqb$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk>
writes
I'm not sure that they do. In my case, they only have a valid email
address for me because I remembered to update it on their ebilling
application when the plug was pulled on my demon.co.uk email address. As
they never sent out any email reminders to do this, I suspect that some
people will have overlooked the necessity to do so. I've never had any
indication that they still have my postal address. I suppose in theory
they might be able to contact people postally via their banks, as if
people are still paying for their broadband connection then Vodafone
must have their banking details.

John Hall

Mar 6, 2018, 2:21:19 PM3/6/18
In message <XhaQuRpx...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
<t...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>Interestingly I have just received a mail from Vodafone headed Demon
>ADSL2+ Upgrade to Vodafone Business Fibre (their capitals:-)
>copied below..
<snip>

Can I ask whether you still have a demon.co.uk email address courtesy of
Namesco, and if so was that the address that it was sent to? Or when you
say "mail", do you mean snail mail?

John Hall

Mar 6, 2018, 2:21:20 PM3/6/18
In message <p7mlop$i1t$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk>
writes
>I'm wondering if the description of the service is germane. If I look
>at my last invoice I'm getting
>===
>Demon Business Lite + (Monthly 24)
>Notes:(NGB) Demon Business 2+ Monthly 2009 (24)
>===

Mine is similar on my latest invoice, which came just a few weeks ago,
but it doesn't have a Notes line. It just says:

===
DEMON BUSINESS LITE + CONNECT - Annual (24)
===

I wonder what is the significance of mine having "Connect" when yours
doesn't.

<snip>

>Does anyone know what a DDI is ?

Direct Dialling In? Is it just a bit of jargon for his phone number?

Andy

Mar 6, 2018, 2:24:06 PM3/6/18
In message <p7mlop$i1t$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote
[

>Does anyone know what a DDI is ?

Direct Dial In, I think - ie you reach his phone directly rather than by
reaching and asking the office's exchange operator.
--
Andy Taylor [Editor & Treasurer, Austrian Philatelic Society].
Visit www dot austrianphilately dot com

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Mar 6, 2018, 2:32:11 PM3/6/18
In message <4igHeYBwztnaFweF@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes:
>In message <96583196-d394-4a2b...@googlegroups.com>,
>st...@chigtow.demon.co.uk writes
>>Take u never went to see the movie0
>ISTR that my newspaper's reviewer gave it the worst review that I've
>ever seen for any film, so I wasn't tempted to. :)

That might be a reason for me to want to see it (-:

No, I haven't changed my mind - I'm perfectly happy with the one I have, thank
you.

Tim Lamb

Mar 6, 2018, 3:45:28 PM3/6/18
In message <3xR0KQD1eunaFwPC@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes
>In message <XhaQuRpx...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
><t...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>>Interestingly I have just received a mail from Vodafone headed Demon
>>ADSL2+ Upgrade to Vodafone Business Fibre (their capitals:-)
>>copied below..
><snip>
>
>Can I ask whether you still have a demon.co.uk email address courtesy
>of Namesco, and if so was that the address that it was sent to? Or when
>you say "mail", do you mean snail mail?

demon.co.uk e-mail courtesy of Namesco.

--
Tim Lamb

Martin Brown

Mar 7, 2018, 2:55:58 AM3/7/18
On 06/03/2018 19:18, John Hall wrote:
> In message <p7mlop$i1t$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> I'm wondering if the description of the service is germane.  If I look
>> at my last invoice I'm getting
>> ===
>> Demon Business Lite + (Monthly 24)
>> Notes:(NGB) Demon Business 2+ Monthly 2009 (24)
>> ===
>
> Mine is similar on my latest invoice, which came just a few weeks ago,
> but it doesn't have a Notes line. It just says:
>
> ===
> DEMON BUSINESS LITE + CONNECT - Annual (24)
> ===
>
> I wonder what is the significance of mine having "Connect" when yours
> doesn't.

Wasn't that the optional backup Demon dial-up connection option in case
ADSL was down? Makes no sense these days when 3G dongles work so well.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Martin Brown

Mar 7, 2018, 3:09:23 AM3/7/18
On 06/03/2018 19:07, John Hall wrote:
> In message <p7luq5$iqb$1...@dont-email.me>, Wm <wm_o...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> On 06/03/2018 10:08, Martin Brown wrote:
>>
>>> Demon failed to give them any
>>> identifying information about the customers they threw over the wall.
>>
>> Not true.  They have a money related address for everyone.
>
> I'm not sure that they do. In my case, they only have a valid email
> address for me because I remembered to update it on their ebilling
> application when the plug was pulled on my demon.co.uk email address. As
> they never sent out any email reminders to do this, I suspect that some
> people will have overlooked the necessity to do so. I've never had any
> indication that they still have my postal address. I suppose in theory
> they might be able to contact people postally via their banks, as if
> people are still paying for their broadband connection then Vodafone
> must have their banking details.

Vodafone did indeed at least have a payment invoicing email address for
some people but from what I recall Vodafone gave Namesco essentially
nothing apart from an image snapshot of the webserver taken at some
point in time that was a week or two before the swapover date.

When I rang them up they had to basically take me on trust that no-one
else but the owner would bother. I had it fail "account not found".

Namesco certainly had no billing details or a real world address for me
and quite a few others of my acquaintance. It worked OK only for some.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/demon.service/i9Atmp86374%5B1-25%5D

I felt genuinely sorry for their support engineers who bore the brunt of
irate Demonites berating them for something that wasn't their fault!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

John Hall

Mar 7, 2018, 3:53:58 AM3/7/18
In message <p7o5uc$1ln6$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> writes
I thought that cost extra, though, and I certainly having been paying
for anything other than the standard package.

John Hall

Mar 7, 2018, 3:53:58 AM3/7/18
In message <WGPg3krn...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
<t...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>In message <3xR0KQD1eunaFwPC@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
><john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes
>>In message <XhaQuRpx...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
>><t...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>>>Interestingly I have just received a mail from Vodafone headed Demon
>>>ADSL2+ Upgrade to Vodafone Business Fibre (their capitals:-)
>>>copied below..
>><snip>
>>
>>Can I ask whether you still have a demon.co.uk email address courtesy
>>of Namesco, and if so was that the address that it was sent to? Or
>>when you say "mail", do you mean snail mail?
>
>demon.co.uk e-mail courtesy of Namesco.

I wonder if Vodafone have just assumed that all their remaining Demon
customers will have a functioning demon.co.uk address and sent emails to
all of those. It wouldn't be very clever. If that's the case, I imagine
that they are getting snowed under with bounce messages.
It is loading more messages.