Big increase in email spam

John Hall

Feb 24, 2023, 5:27:34 AM2/24/23
After many years of very little email spam, I've had a huge resurgence
in recent days, some of it using email addresses that I used for news
posts twenty or more years ago. Is anyone else seeing this?

If it continues, I'll have to set up some Turnpike kill rules to filter
it out, but so far I've been too lazy
--
John Hall "Do you have cornflakes in America?"
"Well, actually, they're American."

Tim Lamb

Feb 24, 2023, 5:42:04 AM2/24/23
In message <n5Tci8FX8I+jFwBE@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes
>After many years of very little email spam, I've had a huge resurgence
>in recent days, some of it using email addresses that I used for news
>posts twenty or more years ago. Is anyone else seeing this?
Nothing here yet. I only ever used my Demon address for newsgroup posts
so, good luck to them with that:-)

>If it continues, I'll have to set up some Turnpike kill rules to filter
>it out, but so far I've been too lazy

--
Tim Lamb

Andy

Feb 24, 2023, 6:42:02 AM2/24/23
In message <n5Tci8FX8I+jFwBE@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote
>After many years of very little email spam, I've had a huge resurgence
>in recent days, some of it using email addresses that I used for news
>posts twenty or more years ago. Is anyone else seeing this?

A little, most being "let us enhance your society's website".

My email provider recently introduced a spam filter, which sends me a
daily listing of what it's detained: usually 2-3. Triggers for suspicion
include person-to-person-appearing emails with over 50K of attachment...
--
Andy Taylor FRPSL
President, Treasurer & Editor of the Austrian Philatelic Society.

John Hall

Feb 24, 2023, 11:57:42 AM2/24/23
In message <+W0+IeGs...@kitzbuhel.co.uk>, Andy
<an...@kitzbuhel.co.uk> writes
>In message <n5Tci8FX8I+jFwBE@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
><john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote
>>After many years of very little email spam, I've had a huge resurgence
>>in recent days, some of it using email addresses that I used for news
>>posts twenty or more years ago. Is anyone else seeing this?
>>
>A little, most being "let us enhance your society's website".
<snip>

I've had a few of those for a while - because my email address ends
co.uk they seem to assume that I'm a company - but this latest burst
seems to be for various health-related products.

Martin Brown

Mar 3, 2023, 5:30:42 AM3/3/23
On 24/02/2023 10:19, John Hall wrote:
> After many years of very little email spam, I've had a huge resurgence
> in recent days, some of it using email addresses that I used for news
> posts twenty or more years ago. Is anyone else seeing this?

No - but probably only because nezumi.demon.co.uk no longer exists.

I expect the Ewoks there are getting plenty of guff.

> If it continues, I'll have to set up some Turnpike kill rules to filter
> it out, but so far I've been too lazy

Are they spam to actual email addresses or partial TP msgids?
I used to get an insane amount of rubbish sent to them starting EW & FW.

A kill rule to zap that and going back further starting with snz ought
to be quite an effective cull of such dross.

Since I have posted here and there are some very savvy people still
reading this group I'll ask a couple random technical questions:

Does anyone know of a compiler flag in MSC++ 2023 that is set when the
obscure linker convention _vector hidden in "Advanced" is invoked?

I get errors due to their math libraries being only for _cdecl linkage.
(whilst I can work around it I'd like to automate the reconfiguration)

So far I have used a manual flag but you have to remember to alter it!

#define VOODOO

Also is there a way to control the direction of view on WhatThreeWords
links into Google maps so that when you put the man on the square you
have gone to he is facing the right way. Murphy's Law says he never is!

--
Martin Brown

John Hall

Mar 3, 2023, 11:52:39 AM3/3/23
In message <ttsi8h$k2r7$1...@dont-email.me>, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> writes
>On 24/02/2023 10:19, John Hall wrote:
>> After many years of very little email spam, I've had a huge
>>resurgence in recent days, some of it using email addresses that I
>>used for news posts twenty or more years ago. Is anyone else seeing this?
>
>No - but probably only because nezumi.demon.co.uk no longer exists.
>
>I expect the Ewoks there are getting plenty of guff.
>
>> If it continues, I'll have to set up some Turnpike kill rules to
>>filter it out, but so far I've been too lazy
>
>Are they spam to actual email addresses or partial TP msgids?
>I used to get an insane amount of rubbish sent to them starting EW & FW.

Actual email addresses. Fortunately it was short-lived, and it stopped
just about as I posted here about it.

>A kill rule to zap that and going back further starting with snz ought
>to be quite an effective cull of such dross.

Yep, and if it had carried on I'd set kill rules for the addresses in
question (which I only ever used for news and not for email) , but as it
was I was too lazy.

<snip questions to which I don't know the answers>