I think zombie web pages on h.d.u.c have been done in!

Peter Hill

Oct 21, 2020, 10:24:13 AM10/21/20
Can't raise a peep from www.skyshack.demon.co.uk.

Ping can't find host.

But I can still log into the Office Admin so namesco still haven't told
Inty how many customers just walked out the door.

Richard_CC

Oct 21, 2020, 1:11:17 PM10/21/20
YEE HAW! As I believe they say in the USA when very happy. Mine has
gone too ..... after 5 1/2 years of trying.

Thanks Peter for sharing the news.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Oct 21, 2020, 5:37:18 PM10/21/20
Pinging soft255.demon.co.uk can't find host now - both with and without
a leading www. (Pinging the 158.152. address times out, but always has.)

Sarcasm: Barbed ire

Rick Hewett

Oct 21, 2020, 7:43:18 PM10/21/20
On Wed 21 Oct Peter Hill wrote:
> Can't raise a peep from www.skyshack.demon.co.uk.

My old one has finally gone, too! :)

--
..Rick Hewett http://www.hewett.org/

Peter Hill

Oct 22, 2020, 3:04:07 AM10/22/20
On 22/10/2020 00:05, Frederick Bambrough wrote:
> In message <9hv8BJ1P...@255soft.uk>
> "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 18:11:15, Richard_CC
>> <ric...@nospam.rjcresources.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> YEE HAW! As I believe they say in the USA when very happy. Mine has
>>> gone too ..... after 5 1/2 years of trying.
>>>
>>> Thanks Peter for sharing the news.
>>
>> Pinging soft255.demon.co.uk can't find host now - both with and without
>> a leading www. (Pinging the 158.152. address times out, but always has.)
>
> Bye, bye ypical.

It may just be the DNS that's been removed and they will all still exist
in limbo on Namesco's servers in perpetuity.

Martin Brown

Oct 22, 2020, 3:53:05 AM10/22/20
On 21/10/2020 15:24, Peter Hill wrote:
Yes. Indeed they have finally vanished at last. DNS timeout "not found".

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Oct 22, 2020, 5:33:51 PM10/22/20
On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 08:04:19, Peter Hill <sky...@yahoo.com> wrote:
[]
>It may just be the DNS that's been removed and they will all still
>exist in limbo on Namesco's servers in perpetuity.

I'm not quite grasping that: if the DNS has been removed, what would
they be occupying? (I suppose I mean, what would they be occupying and
thus preventing something else using?)

Abandon hope, all ye who <ENTER> here.

Richard_CC

Oct 22, 2020, 6:54:05 PM10/22/20
On 22/10/2020 22:32, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 08:04:19, Peter Hill <sky...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> []
>> It may just be the DNS that's been removed and they will all still
>> exist in limbo on Namesco's servers in perpetuity.
>
> I'm not quite grasping that: if the DNS has been removed, what would
> they be occupying? (I suppose I mean, what would they be occupying and
> thus preventing something else using?)

If you take your number off your house door, you might not get any post
but the house still exists.

Perhaps like when you delete a file on a hard disc, you are just
deleting the address so the information stays there until its
overwritten (unless you use a secure file delete utility).

Its nice to think that long after the molecules that make up what was
once 'me' have split into their component parts and redistributed
themselves around the known and unknown universe, there will still be a
fragmented file with my name in the random data on Namesco server :)

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Oct 23, 2020, 3:13:13 AM10/23/20
On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 23:54:04, Richard_CC
<ric...@nospam.rjcresources.co.uk> wrote:
>On 22/10/2020 22:32, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 08:04:19, Peter Hill <sky...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> []
>>> It may just be the DNS that's been removed and they will all still
>>>exist in limbo on Namesco's servers in perpetuity.
>> I'm not quite grasping that: if the DNS has been removed, what would
>>they be occupying? (I suppose I mean, what would they be occupying and
>>thus preventing something else using?)
>
>If you take your number off your house door, you might not get any post
>but the house still exists.

And no other house can have that number.

So are you saying that the IP addresses - though they can no longer be
looked up - are still not available to ... (I'm not sure who they'd not
be available to)?

>Perhaps like when you delete a file on a hard disc, you are just
>deleting the address so the information stays there until its
>overwritten (unless you use a secure file delete utility).
>
>Its nice to think that long after the molecules that make up what was
>once 'me' have split into their component parts and redistributed
>themselves around the known and unknown universe, there will still be a
>fragmented file with my name in the random data on Namesco server :)

Hmm. If it's only backup copies, then I'm sure there are a lot.

Interesting thought: does the wayback machine store by IP or name? It
looks like it's name: I just tried my old one, and it has it - my old
homepage until 2016, then two snapshots in 2019 that show the Namesco
"Make soft255.demon.co.uk work hard for you" advert page.

There are a lot of things that children should be shielded from, but
"bad language" isn't one of them.

"Honey, we shouldn't say that when other people are around because some
grownups get upset about it. No, I don't know why, they just do."
- "The Real Bev", in mozilla.general 2015-6-7

Martin Brown

Oct 23, 2020, 3:42:27 AM10/23/20
Provided that it still exists there will also be historical snapshots of
your site sat forever on the Wayback machine at Internet Archive too eg.

https://web.archive.org/web/2016*/www.nezumi.demon.co.uk

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Martin Brown

Oct 23, 2020, 3:42:33 AM10/23/20
On 22/10/2020 22:32, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 08:04:19, Peter Hill <sky...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> []
>> It may just be the DNS that's been removed and they will all still
>> exist in limbo on Namesco's servers in perpetuity.
>
> I'm not quite grasping that: if the DNS has been removed, what would
> they be occupying? (I suppose I mean, what would they be occupying and
> thus preventing something else using?)

Their content could quite easily still be sat there on Namesco's
physical disks but are no longer pointed at by anything external.

The volume of Demon website data by today's hosting platform size is
tiny. ISTR it was 20M each and these days it is hard to buy under 2GB.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Andy

Oct 23, 2020, 4:26:57 AM10/23/20
In message <rmt2ic$oso$1...@dont-email.me>, Richard_CC
<ric...@nospam.rjcresources.co.uk> wrote
[
>Its nice to think that long after the molecules that make up what was
>once 'me' have split into their component parts and redistributed
>themselves around the known and unknown universe, there will still be a
>fragmented file with my name in the random data on Namesco server :)

Evil cackle...
--
Andy Taylor [President, Treasurer & Editor of the Austrian Philatelic Society].
Visit www dot austrianphilately dot com

Andy

Oct 23, 2020, 4:26:57 AM10/23/20
In message <2fce+dHC...@255soft.uk>, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6...@255soft.uk> wrote
>On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 23:54:04, Richard_CC
><ric...@nospam.rjcresources.co.uk> wrote:
[
>>If you take your number off your house door, you might not get any
>>post but the house still exists.
>
>And no other house can have that number.

Why not? Some other house can be allocated it. The whole road could be
renumbered (rare but not unknown).

Remember the distinction (it's somewhere in one of the Alice books)
between in this case the name of the number, the number, the name of the
house, and the house.

Andy

Oct 23, 2020, 4:26:58 AM10/23/20
In message <rmu1h7$d46$2...@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote
[
>The volume of Demon website data by today's hosting platform size is
>tiny. ISTR it was 20M each

Yes; and no overlays allowed!

>and these days it is hard to buy under 2GB.

David Rance

Oct 23, 2020, 5:14:25 AM10/23/20
On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 23:54:04 Richard_CC wrote:

>Its nice to think that long after the molecules that make up what was
>once 'me' have split into their component parts and redistributed
>themselves around the known and unknown universe, there will still be a
>fragmented file with my name in the random data on Namesco server :)

A bit like a gravestone, isn't it?

Or perhaps more like ashes scattered to the wind!

David

David Rance

Oct 23, 2020, 5:34:27 AM10/23/20
On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 09:03:22 Andy wrote:

>In message <2fce+dHC...@255soft.uk>, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
><G6...@255soft.uk> wrote
>>On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 23:54:04, Richard_CC
>><ric...@nospam.rjcresources.co.uk> wrote:
>[
>>>If you take your number off your house door, you might not get any
>>>post but the house still exists.
>>
>>And no other house can have that number.
>>
>Why not? Some other house can be allocated it. The whole road could be
>renumbered (rare but not unknown).

Sounds like my road. My house is number 10B and was built forty years
ago in the original garden of number 10. Number 10 was pulled down about
ten years ago and a new house erected in its place which is now number
12A. Number 8 is opposite me and that was pulled down five years ago and
a new house built on the site. That is now number 10.

I would rather not be 10B because people assume that I am living in a
flat. To get a new number I shall have to have my house pulled down and
rebuilt! But the worst thing is that, if you google for my postcode
including house number, it comes up with a house two streets away. My
road changes its name half way down but some online maps don't seem to
know this. Nevertheless most delivery firms can find my house. Most, but
not all.

Andy

Oct 23, 2020, 6:39:59 AM10/23/20
In message <CusQ92tL...@david.rance.org.uk>, David Rance
<david...@SPAMOFF.invalid> wrote
>On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 23:54:04 Richard_CC wrote:
>
>>Its nice to think that long after the molecules that make up what was
>>once 'me' have split into their component parts and redistributed
>>themselves around the known and unknown universe, there will still be
>>a fragmented file with my name in the random data on Namesco server :)
>
>A bit like a gravestone, isn't it?
>
>Or perhaps more like ashes scattered to the wind!

If it was Namesco, they'd probably be facing upwind at the time...

Andy

Oct 23, 2020, 6:39:59 AM10/23/20
In message <RdWkRAvg...@david.rance.org.uk>, David Rance
<david...@SPAMOFF.invalid> wrote
[]
>But the worst thing is that, if you google for my postcode including
>house number, it comes up with a house two streets away. My road
>changes its name half way down but some online maps don't seem to know
>this.

When I was (much) younger, I spent a summer delivering laundry. One of
the runs included a road which had one name on the east side and a
different name on the west.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Oct 23, 2020, 10:28:53 AM10/23/20
On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 at 10:25:52, David Rance
<david...@SPAMOFF.invalid> wrote:
>On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 09:03:22 Andy wrote:
>
>>In message <2fce+dHC...@255soft.uk>, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
>><G6...@255soft.uk> wrote
>>>On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 23:54:04, Richard_CC
>>><ric...@nospam.rjcresources.co.uk> wrote:
>>[
>>>
>>>And no other house can have that number.
>>>
>>Why not? Some other house can be allocated it. The whole road could be
>>renumbered (rare but not unknown).

Ah, so you're saying the IP addresses _have_ been released. (So OK, the
copies will remain on a server at Namesco until overwritten.)

>Sounds like my road. My house is number 10B and was built forty years
>ago in the original garden of number 10. Number 10 was pulled down
>about ten years ago and a new house erected in its place which is now
>number 12A. Number 8 is opposite me and that was pulled down five years
>ago and a new house built on the site. That is now number 10.
>
>I would rather not be 10B because people assume that I am living in a
>flat. To get a new number I shall have to have my house pulled down and
>rebuilt! But the worst thing is that, if you google for my postcode

What's to stop you just removing the B and telling everyone you're 10?

>including house number, it comes up with a house two streets away. My
>road changes its name half way down but some online maps don't seem to
>know this. Nevertheless most delivery firms can find my house. Most,
>but not all.

(-:

>David

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Oct 23, 2020, 10:31:55 AM10/23/20
On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 at 11:32:27, Andy <an...@kitzbuhel.co.uk> wrote:
>In message <RdWkRAvg...@david.rance.org.uk>, David Rance
><david...@SPAMOFF.invalid> wrote
>[]
>>But the worst thing is that, if you google for my postcode including
>>house number, it comes up with a house two streets away. My road
>>changes its name half way down but some online maps don't seem to know
>>

>When I was (much) younger, I spent a summer delivering laundry. One of
>the runs included a road which had one name on the east side and a
>different name on the west.

That's not that unusual; my parents' home in Folkestone is in Clifton
Gardens, the opposite side of which is Langhorne Gardens. To confuse
further, one side of an adjacent street is also Clifton Gardens; in
fact, Clifton Gardens is the actual garden space - a rectangle with
trees in it - that is between the two streets. I'm sure this arrangement
isn't that uncommon.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Oct 23, 2020, 10:40:57 AM10/23/20
On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 at 09:04:16, Andy <an...@kitzbuhel.co.uk> wrote:
>In message <rmu1h7$d46$2...@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown
><'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote
>[
>>The volume of Demon website data by today's hosting platform size is
>>tiny. ISTR it was 20M each

I think it was originally 5M! Then upped to 20 or 25. (Which I think it
remained at until Namesco - I think even after, actually.)

>Yes; and no overlays allowed!
>
>>and these days it is hard to buy under 2GB.

Mine with TSOhost was 500M (or maybe 512) when I signed up with them,
and I don't know if it still is (if it's gone up, I don't think they've
told me); as I wasn't bothered when I got a domain, I went for their
smallest package. Apart from copying over my tiny and ancient Demon
site, I don't use it - apart from as somewhere I use to share larger
files, like some people use dropbox, picture-sharing sites and so on,
without subjecting those with whom I want to share files to endless
scripts, ad.s, and so on. (I don't know if TSOhost still offer a 500M
package; CBA to look.)

David Rance

Oct 23, 2020, 5:48:58 PM10/23/20
On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 15:25:55 J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 at 10:25:52, David Rance
><david...@SPAMOFF.invalid> wrote:

>>Sounds like my road. My house is number 10B and was built forty years
>>ago in the original garden of number 10. Number 10 was pulled down
>>about ten years ago and a new house erected in its place which is now
>>number 12A. Number 8 is opposite me and that was pulled down five
>>years ago and a new house built on the site. That is now number 10.
>>
>>I would rather not be 10B because people assume that I am living in a
>>flat. To get a new number I shall have to have my house pulled down
>>and rebuilt! But the worst thing is that, if you google for my postcode
>
>What's to stop you just removing the B and telling everyone you're 10?

Oh that would be fun!!! There is a 10, 10A, 10B, and a 10C. It's all the
fault of the developers back in the 1930s who built small houses with
gardens of half an acre for housing displaced Welsh miners who could no
longer work as they had pneumoconiosis and it was intended that they
should be self sufficient. Unfortunately they sold off portions of their
gardens in the1970s as building plots when planning regulations were
relaxed. Thus, so many No. 10s.

10C is divided into flats, A and B. One day I found workmen digging up
the pavement outside my house. What's happening, I asked. We're
installing your Virgin broadband, they said. But, I said, I haven't
ordered Virgin broadband (I was tempted to say "and I never would"!). Oh
yes you have, they said. Oh no I haven't I replied. Here is the order
form, they said, and here's your signature. Oh no it isn't, I said. It
isn't even my name!

Apparently the occupier of 10C, flat B, had put his address down as 10B!

I wonder how far they would have got if I hadn't been at home.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Oct 23, 2020, 6:52:53 PM10/23/20
On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 at 22:48:33, David Rance
<david...@SPAMOFF.invalid> wrote:
>On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 15:25:55 J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 at 10:25:52, David Rance
>><david...@SPAMOFF.invalid> wrote:
>
>>>Sounds like my road. My house is number 10B and was built forty years
>>>ago in the original garden of number 10. Number 10 was pulled down
>>>about ten years ago and a new house erected in its place which is now
>>>number 12A. Number 8 is opposite me and that was pulled down five
>>>years ago and a new house built on the site. That is now number 10.
>>>
>>>I would rather not be 10B because people assume that I am living in a
>>>flat. To get a new number I shall have to have my house pulled down
>>>and rebuilt! But the worst thing is that, if you google for my postcode
>>
>>What's to stop you just removing the B and telling everyone you're 10?
>
>Oh that would be fun!!! There is a 10, 10A, 10B, and a 10C. It's all
[]
Ah, when you said 10 had been demolished, it hadn't occurred to me that
another one might have been built.

... some language may be offensive to younger viewers. Like "please" and
"thank you". (Intro to /Off Their Rockers/, quoted in RT 25-31 May 2013 by
Sarah Millican.)

Andy

Oct 24, 2020, 5:55:24 AM10/24/20
In message <dWSXTR4x...@david.rance.org.uk>, David Rance
<david...@SPAMOFF.invalid> wrote
[
>I wonder how far they would have got if I hadn't been at home.

They'd probably pause after drilling a 1 inch hole through your wall,
then getting miffed when you didn't respond to door-knocking...

David Rance

Oct 24, 2020, 6:19:43 AM10/24/20
On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 10:38:30 Andy wrote:

>In message <dWSXTR4x...@david.rance.org.uk>, David Rance
><david...@SPAMOFF.invalid> wrote
>[
>>I wonder how far they would have got if I hadn't been at home.
>>
>They'd probably pause after drilling a 1 inch hole through your wall,
>then getting miffed when you didn't respond to door-knocking...

Unfortunately you're probably too right!

David Rance

Oct 24, 2020, 6:19:44 AM10/24/20
On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 23:50:38 J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 at 22:48:33, David Rance
><david...@SPAMOFF.invalid> wrote:
>>On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 15:25:55 J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

>>>What's to stop you just removing the B and telling everyone you're 10?
>>
>>Oh that would be fun!!! There is a 10, 10A, 10B, and a 10C. It's all
>[]
>Ah, when you said 10 had been demolished, it hadn't occurred to me that
>another one might have been built.

You missed it! ;-) Look at the last two sentences of my original
paragraph:

>>Number 10 was pulled down about ten years ago and a new
>>house erected in its place which is now number 12A. Number 8 is
>>opposite me and that was pulled down five years ago and a new
>>house built on the site. That is now number 10.

Sorry, I'm too verbose!