Exorcism D-day 29/05/2020

Martin Brown

Mar 30, 2020, 6:42:17 AM3/30/20
VoodoPhone are finally calling in the exorcist for their Demon problem!

I just received this from Namesco. At least it isn't for April 1st!

WARNING: Termination of all Demon subdomains on 29th May.

Following is the message I was sent today:

IMPORTANT:
Demon sub-domain withdrawal

Dear customer,

We are writing to let you know that Vodafone has made the decision to no
longer allow customers to license usage of the Demon domain name from
June 2020. This means the sub-domain attached to your Namesco services
will need to be updated to a new domain - we are asking you to update
yours before 29th May 2020 to avoid service disruption.
What's happening and when?
When your services were migrated from Vodafone you were able to continue
using the Demon sub-domain free of charge as there was a license awarded
to Namesco as part of the transfer. Each year we have negotiated, with
Vodafone, to continue the license to keep your services up and running.
Additionally, we have attempted to purchase the Demon domain from
Vodafone on multiple occasions, however each time, our offers have been
rejected.

Unfortunately, Vodafone have now made the decision to no longer license
the domain to any third parties. As a result, your services attached to
the domain will stop working when our license ends and so we are asking
you to move to a new domain by 29th May 2020.
How will this impact me?
On 14th June 2020, the services below will cease to operate:

nezumi.demon.co.uk

In order to keep using your Namesco services your email and/or web
address will need to change.

Vodafone controls the Domain Name Servers for the Demon domain and they
will not allow us to route any incoming email or web traffic beyond June
so it is important that you make this change and communicate your new
email address to important people ahead of 14 June 2020.

The good news is that you will not lose any existing emails, we will
ensure these are associated to your new email address. We will also
guide you through the setup process that will enable you to continue
accessing your mail in the usual way.
What will I need to change?
First of all, you will need to choose a new domain name to replace your
existing Demon address. We would strongly recommend that you choose an
appropriate personal domain that can be registered to you. This means
you’ll always be in control of your domain name and it could be shorter
and easier to remember. For example, your domain might look like this...

nezumi.co.uk

To make this process as easy as possible we are offering you a .co.uk,
.uk or .com domain free for one year. Click below to see what domains
are available and use code - DUXSPVCT - to get your discount:
Search now
If you do not want a personal domain name, we can offer you an
alternative sub-domain controlled by Namesco. You would not own this
domain name but there would be no ongoing charge for it. Your new
address would be:

nezumi.ndonet.com
What do I need to do next?
Get in touch with us by raising a support ticket via your Online Control
Panel, using the ticket title “DEMON” and we will get the process started.

Alternatively, you can call us on 0345 653 9660. Please be advised we’ll
be helping a lot of customers with this Demon change and due to the
global Covid-19 crisis, we’ve also redistributed our workforce to enable
home working so do bear with us if there is a delay answering your call
while we adjust to the new working arrangements.

We know this change is frustrating, especially during these
unprecedented and difficult times, but please know we tried all we could
to avoid this situation. We are extremely disappointed that Vodafone has
chosen to revoke the license and would not consider selling the domain
to Namesco and we’ll do everything in our power to make this process as
painless as possible for you.

We’re committed to providing the best support we can and we thank you
for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Customer Support Team
names.co.uk

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

John Hall

Mar 30, 2020, 11:24:27 AM3/30/20
In message <r5sie7$fh8$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> writes
>VoodoPhone are finally calling in the exorcist for their Demon problem!
>
>I just received this from Namesco. At least it isn't for April 1st!
>
>WARNING: Termination of all Demon subdomains on 29th May.
<snip>

If Vodafone no longer can be bothered to continue licensing the Demon
domain to Namesco, it's hard to see why they are unwilling to sell it to
them. Vodafone seem to come out of this badly, but Namesco seem to be
doing all they can to help their ex-Demonite customers.
--
John Hall
"It is a very sad thing that nowadays there is so little useless

Martin Brown

Mar 30, 2020, 12:13:41 PM3/30/20
On 30/03/2020 16:21, John Hall wrote:
> In message <r5sie7$fh8$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown
> <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> writes
>> VoodoPhone are finally calling in the exorcist for their Demon problem!
>>
>> I just received this from Namesco. At least it isn't for April 1st!
>>
>> WARNING: Termination of all Demon subdomains on 29th May.
> <snip>
>
> If Vodafone no longer can be bothered to continue licensing the Demon
> domain to Namesco, it's hard to see why they are unwilling to sell it to
> them. Vodafone seem to come out of this badly, but Namesco seem to be
> doing all they can to help their ex-Demonite customers.

It was ever Thus (pun intended)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Joe

Mar 30, 2020, 1:43:13 PM3/30/20
On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 11:42:15 +0100
Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Unfortunately, Vodafone have now made the decision to no longer
> license the domain to any third parties. As a result, your services
> attached to the domain will stop working when our license ends and so
> we are asking you to move to a new domain by 29th May 2020.
> How will this impact me?
> On 14th June 2020, the services below will cease to operate:

It will be interesting to see if my website finally dies on that day. I
actually checked a couple of days ago, and it's still up and displaying
a copyright date of 2007...

--
Joe

David Rance

Mar 30, 2020, 2:51:18 PM3/30/20
At least it lays to rest the not-knowing-what's-gonna-happen syndrome!
But maybe in itself it was a fascinating subject and source of debate.
(will they, won't they?)

You'll have to find another problem to worry about now! ;-)

David

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Mar 30, 2020, 3:33:49 PM3/30/20
For curiosity, I just tried my old one - www.soft255.demon.co.uk; it
immediately changed to without the www, and loaded a page with big text
saying

Don’t let this space go to waste
Make soft255.demon.co.uk work hard for you

, which is more or less what it's said for most of the time since I left
the biscuit company. Let me just try one that _never_ existed - I'll try
www.xyzzzy.demon.co.uk: again it immediately changed to without the
www., but then gave the "This site can’t be reached ...
ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED" message from my browser.

Hmm, out of interest, I'll try pings from a command prompt (four
different pings follow):

>ping www.soft255.demon.co.uk

Pinging service.homepages.demon.net [85.233.160.129] with 32 bytes of
data:

>ping soft255.demon.co.uk

Pinging soft255.demon.co.uk [158.152.73.14] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.

>ping www.xyzzy.demon.co.uk
Ping request could not find host www.xyzzy.demon.co.uk. Please check the
name and try again.

D:\MOVIES\X\!pending>ping xyzzy.demon.co.uk
Ping request could not find host xyzzy.demon.co.uk. Please check the
name and try again.

Interesting! www.soft255.dcu turned into service.homepages.demon.net
[85.233.160.129], and responded. soft255.dcu resolved to
[158.152.73.14], which I think was (is?) the unique address they told me
they'd given me, many decades ago!, but did not respond. And both
www.xyzzy.dcu and plain xyzzy.dcu didn't resolve.

I'm fascinated to see my original fixed address is still associated with
my old sub-hostname; I thought IPv4 addresses were worth their weight in
gold these days!

At the age of 7, Julia Elizabeth Wells could sing notes only dogs could hear.

Cliff Frisby

Mar 30, 2020, 5:12:18 PM3/30/20
Too true.

I'm glad that, by the time they decided they no longer wanted the bother of
running mailservers for us, I had migrated virtually all my peers to using
other email addresses under domain names under my control.

But I asked Vodafone, as a matter of principle, to set the MX record for
myhost.dcu to point *to* myhost.dcu, or otherwise simply to remove the MX
record altogether, so that any residual mail would arrive at my own
mailserver running on that very host. (*)

They refused, evidently preferring to frustrate a simple default behaviour
which would have suited me, the paying customer, and choosing instead to
divert mail to some third party where it would be held hostage unless I paid
up.

For this exploitative policy (or at least obstruction-by-design), and their
screw-the-customer philosphy, I resolved never to buy any product or service
from Vodafone again.

I am now with Zen (who are excellent IMHO).

(*) It seems ironic that when I first became a Demon customer you *had* to
run an SMTP server on yourhost.dcu to receive your...@yourhost.dcu. Later,
you couldn't use that mechanism even if you preferred it. And by the end you
couldn't even fetch the mail without coughing up an extra fee.

Cliff

Richard_CC

Mar 30, 2020, 6:30:19 PM3/30/20
On 30/03/2020 18:43, Joe wrote:

> It will be interesting to see if my website finally dies on that day. I
> actually checked a couple of days ago, and it's still up and displaying
> a copyright date of 2007...

Me too.

Tried a couple of times to get Namesco to kill it, but as my postcode
had changed (not moved, lots of S Cambridgeshire had a change imposed)
they didn't want to believe it was me so I gave up.

As soon as Demon told us they were ceasing I cleared everything out, but
what thy hadn't told us was that all the content had already been sent
over to Namesco. Still cross about it even after all these years.

I wonder if Vodafone want to keep the brand and domains so they can
relaunch Demon as something else, a sub brand, "Demon by Vodafone, you
know it makes sense....." Much like we get Toyota and Lexus, BA and
Vueling.

Rick Hewett

Mar 30, 2020, 7:43:18 PM3/30/20
On Mon 30 Mar Joe wrote:
> It will be interesting to see if my website finally dies on that day.
> I actually checked a couple of days ago, and it's still up and
> displaying a copyright date of 2007...

Mine likewise. I'd actually left Demon when the switch happened, but
they'd transferred all the websites a short while previously. Never did
manage to get that message through. Maybe, at last...

--
..Rick Hewett http://www.hewett.org/

Nix

Mar 31, 2020, 6:28:06 PM3/31/20
On 30 Mar 2020, John Hall uttered the following:

> In message <r5sie7$fh8$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> writes
>>VoodoPhone are finally calling in the exorcist for their Demon problem!
>>
>>I just received this from Namesco. At least it isn't for April 1st!
>>
>>WARNING: Termination of all Demon subdomains on 29th May.
> <snip>
>
> If Vodafone no longer can be bothered to continue licensing the Demon domain to Namesco, it's hard to see why they are unwilling to
> sell it to them.

... particularly given that the demon.co.uk domain expires on the *5th*
May, so they pay for an extra year only to decommission it one month in.
Strange.

--
NULL && (void)

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Mar 31, 2020, 6:55:34 PM3/31/20
On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 at 23:28:05, Nix <nix-ra...@esperi.org.uk>
wrote:
I wonder if there's anyone waiting to pounce - on 2020-5-30, 2021-5-5 or
6, or whenever. (If not, anyone here care to?)

Veni, Vidi, Video (I came, I saw, I'll watch it again later) - Mik from S+AS
Limited (m...@saslimited.demon.co.uk), 1998

Peter Hill

Apr 1, 2020, 4:49:57 AM4/1/20
But they will be starting from scratch as they have completely lost all
the goodwill that the Demon name had.

To start a new ISP offering in this day and age they either have to make
it *BETTER* (Lexus) or *CHEAPER* (Vueling) than the competition. Can't
see Vodafone doing either of those. They couldn't even pick up the phone
when I called to switch to their business fibre broadband deal, kept me
on hold for 1/2 hour. So I switched to Zen. No business or individual is
going to give business to a firm that doesn't pick up the sales phone.

And if they stop paying to keep the domain then anyone can register it.
Vodafone may protest but they either have to keep paying in perpetuity
for an unused domain or give it up.

David Rance

Apr 1, 2020, 4:51:35 AM4/1/20
If they didn't renew it then surely it would then (eventually) be up for
grabs? No, they seem to want to hang on to it for some purpose in the
future.

John

Apr 1, 2020, 7:05:33 AM4/1/20
In message <87369o4...@esperi.org.uk>, Nix
<nix-ra...@esperi.org.uk> writes
I haven't received my letter yet, so I was wondering if it relates to
renewal date - mine's in September. So, rather than cut everybody off
at once, to phase it throughout the year to reduce the peak of demand
for new domains/email hosting.

I raised a ticket with Namesco, who confirmed the shut down and said
they'd be writing to me "soon", so maybe it's just the notification
that's being rolled out slowly!

--
John

Martin Brown

Apr 1, 2020, 10:29:29 AM4/1/20
That seems a bit mean. I know of other Demonites still using subdomains
that had first notification from me and a later email from Namesco.

I had assumed they sent them out over a couple of days - there cannot
really be all that many of them by now.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Richard_CC

Apr 1, 2020, 3:43:47 PM4/1/20
On 01/04/2020 09:49, Peter Hill wrote:

> And if they stop paying to keep the domain then anyone can register it.
> Vodafone may protest but they either have to keep paying in perpetuity
> for an unused domain or give it up.

I doubt the cost of registering a domain (£10 a year, if its a few
domains they might get up to £100 a year) will be a barrier to a
business with 43.67 billion euro turnover in 2019. They just have to
remember to do it.

Tim Lamb

Apr 1, 2020, 5:07:54 PM4/1/20
In message <r628g7$12cc$2...@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown
I'm still here:-)

Nothing from Namesco but my renewal is September as above.

It would be comforting to know if my dcu address will work until then as
it is scattered far and wide! and will take days of notification.

--
Tim Lamb

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Apr 1, 2020, 7:57:34 PM4/1/20
On Wed, 1 Apr 2020 at 21:55:33, Tim Lamb <t...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
[]
>It would be comforting to know if my dcu address will work until then
>as it is scattered far and wide! and will take days of notification.

It's not the notification, it's the making sure the recipients of the
notification have actually updated all their records. Often, they reply
saying they have, but they haven't really, and you subsequently receive
emails to the old one. Especially if you send out the notification from
the new address: it's probably best to send it out from the old one, so
you can see who just hits "reply"!

When I did it, I set up a table (no, it was a table - _not_ a
"spreadsheet"), listing for each notificatee (?): when I told them,
which new address I'd told them, and when I first received a message
from them which was _not_ a response to something I'd sent them (and
used the new address). (I think there might have been other columns, but
those were the important ones.)

I think it took about 3 months before I was _fairly_ sure that most of
the notificatees I was _bothered_ about had got it through their heads.
(There were some I was _not_ bothered about, of course.)

After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I
have one. -Cato the Elder, statesman, soldier, and writer (234-149 BCE)

John

Apr 1, 2020, 8:34:22 PM4/1/20
In message <mDFIdbeF$Phe...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
<t...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>In message <r628g7$12cc$2...@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown
><'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> writes
>>On 01/04/2020 12:04, John wrote:
>>> In message <87369o4...@esperi.org.uk>, Nix
>>><nix-ra...@esperi.org.uk> writes

>>> I haven't received my letter yet, so I was wondering if it relates
>>>to renewal date - mine's in September.  So, rather than cut everybody
>>>at once, to phase it throughout the year to reduce the peak of demand
>>>for new domains/email hosting.
>>> I raised a ticket with Namesco, who confirmed the shut down and
>>>said they'd be writing to me "soon", so maybe it's just the
>>>notification that's being rolled out slowly!
>>
>>That seems a bit mean. I know of other Demonites still using
>>subdomains that had first notification from me and a later email from
>>Namesco.
>>
>>I had assumed they sent them out over a couple of days - there cannot
>>really be all that many of them by now.
>
>I'm still here:-)
>
>Nothing from Namesco but my renewal is September as above.
>
>It would be comforting to know if my dcu address will work until then
>as it is scattered far and wide! and will take days of notification.

I received the email this evening. Not sure if it's because I raised
the ticket or that they just got round to me. The wording is different
from Martin's but the date is the same - 29th May.
--
John

Andy

Apr 2, 2020, 4:51:39 AM4/2/20
In message <y2a9fyit...@255soft.uk>, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6...@255soft.uk> wrote
>On Wed, 1 Apr 2020 at 21:55:33, Tim Lamb <t...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>[]
>>It would be comforting to know if my dcu address will work until then
>>as it is scattered far and wide! and will take days of notification.
>>>

>It's not the notification, it's the making sure the recipients of the
>notification have actually updated all their records. Often, they reply
>saying they have, but they haven't really, and you subsequently receive
>emails to the old one. Especially if you send out the notification from
>the new address: it's probably best to send it out from the old one, so
>you can see who just hits "reply"!

I've found that they need to do more than add the new me to their
records - they need to remove the old. It's easy in Turnpike (to create
a formerly-known-as address) ... I can't speak for Windows Address book.

----------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than
why I have one. -Cato the Elder, statesman, soldier, and writer (234-149
BCE)"

"When I retire, I'd rather have people ask why so early than why so
late" - paraphrased from William Hague, statesman, soldier, and writer,
20th cy AD)
--
Andy Taylor [President, Treasurer & Editor of the Austrian Philatelic Society].
Visit www dot austrianphilately dot com

Tim Lamb

Apr 2, 2020, 6:11:38 AM4/2/20
In message <5n$HWdE1K...@nospam.demon.co.uk>, John
<jo...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
OH sh1t!

You can't begin to guess how many different registrations I seem to have
acquired with HM Govt. All with the dcu address:-)

Less of a problem with friends as there will always be someone noticing
that a mail has bounced. Suppliers.....

--
Tim Lamb

John

Apr 3, 2020, 7:27:53 AM4/3/20
In message <XQTVRuAO6ggeFwBe@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes
>In message <r5sie7$fh8$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown
><'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> writes
>>VoodoPhone are finally calling in the exorcist for their Demon problem!
>>
>>I just received this from Namesco. At least it isn't for April 1st!
>>
>>WARNING: Termination of all Demon subdomains on 29th May.
><snip>
>
>If Vodafone no longer can be bothered to continue licensing the Demon
>domain to Namesco, it's hard to see why they are unwilling to sell it
>to them. Vodafone seem to come out of this badly, but Namesco seem to
>be doing all they can to help their ex-Demonite customers.

Indeed. I spoke to Namesco support yesterday and if you raise a ticket
or call them with the appropriate discount code and subject "Demon",
they will either set you up a subdomain on their own domain, free, or
set up your own domain, free for the first year (only new customers
usually get this). Then set up email to replicate what you currently
have (takes about 48 hours) and autoforward from your dcu account to the
new account until June 14th. After that date Vodafone are not allowing
any autoforwarding.

In addition, they will match the price you are currently paying and you
will retain your renewal date, so nothing to pay up front.

Which all seemed to be as helpful and seamless as possible.

The only issue that I have and I am checking with them is the
announcement from Microsoft that they are retiring basic authentication
on Exchange email after October 2020. As far as I can tell this means
that all POP3 clients and most IMAP clients will no longer work. Apart
from recent versions of Outlook, which Microsoft are recommending. So I
may not want a straight replacement for what I have now.

--
John

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Apr 3, 2020, 11:20:24 AM4/3/20
On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 at 12:23:29, John <jo...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
[]
>The only issue that I have and I am checking with them is the
>announcement from Microsoft that they are retiring basic authentication
>on Exchange email after October 2020. As far as I can tell this means
>that all POP3 clients and most IMAP clients will no longer work. Apart
>from recent versions of Outlook, which Microsoft are recommending. So
>I may not want a straight replacement for what I have now.

It was the introduction of complications - I think something to do with
Outlook - and an attitude from namesco that seemed a lot less caring
than they seem to be now, that made me switch to an independent
provider, which I really should have done when Demon first started
shedding. I'm with TSOhost (I think they were recommended here), who
give me POP without encryption (which is what I want) (though I think
they have it if I want), and domain registration (I did check that it's
me not they it is registered to), and even a tiny website (which I
mainly use for dropbox-like purposes), for twentysomething a year. There
are probably cheaper, but it's so in the noise - and I've never had
_any_ trouble since starting - that I don't look. (If anyone switches to
them, there may be a referral - I can't remember.)

Religion often uses faith as a blindfold, saying anyone who doesn't believe
the same as us must be wiped out. It's not God saying that. It's people, which
is so dangerous. - Jenny Agutter, RT 2015/1/17-23

Tim Lamb

Apr 3, 2020, 4:34:25 PM4/3/20
In message <vYW6rnjJ...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
<t...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>In message <5n$HWdE1K...@nospam.demon.co.uk>, John

Snip
>>I received the email this evening. Not sure if it's because I raised
>>the ticket or that they just got round to me. The wording is
>>different from Martin's but the date is the same - 29th May.
>
>OH sh1t!
>
>You can't begin to guess how many different registrations I seem to
>have acquired with HM Govt. All with the dcu address:-)
>
>Less of a problem with friends as there will always be someone noticing
>that a mail has bounced. Suppliers.....

Someone is watching us.

I have yet to submit a support enquiry but got a personal explanation
today confirming what others have said.

Notification is in batches.

I created a new address when the original scare (2016? was running) so I
guess I have already had the *first year free* concession.

Oh well. 25 years... at least the new one is shorter to type.

--
Tim Lamb

John Hall

Apr 4, 2020, 5:40:28 AM4/4/20
In message <UPqEu806...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
<t...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>I have yet to submit a support enquiry but got a personal explanation
>today confirming what others have said.
>
>Notification is in batches.
>
>I created a new address when the original scare (2016? was running) so
>I guess I have already had the *first year free* concession.
>
>Oh well. 25 years... at least the new one is shorter to type.

Don't forget to update your address for your newsgroup posts too.

I'm very glad that I had the foresight to set up my own domain, with
associated email addresses, some 15-20 years ago.

Tim Lamb

Apr 4, 2020, 8:00:53 AM4/4/20
In message <oiUIkMBpQFieFwF3@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes
>In message <UPqEu806...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
><t...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>>I have yet to submit a support enquiry but got a personal explanation
>>today confirming what others have said.
>>
>>Notification is in batches.
>>
>>I created a new address when the original scare (2016? was running) so
>>I guess I have already had the *first year free* concession.
>>
>>Oh well. 25 years... at least the new one is shorter to type.
>
>Don't forget to update your address for your newsgroup posts too.
>
>I'm very glad that I had the foresight to set up my own domain, with
>associated email addresses, some 15-20 years ago.

Thanks for the News group reminder. I use Thunderbird for mail and will
probably need help setting that up as well.

Currently I am paying Namesco for unused storage as well as hosting the
dcu mail. Potential savings so not all bad news:-)

--
Tim Lamb

strathspey...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2020, 1:25:44 PM4/7/20
Nice to see a thread about this. I've had jo...@unixnerd.demon.co.uk for over 25 years, changing it is just terrible. Worse, my BMW site www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk has been online so long it's got a huge number of links from other sites and great page rank on google.

Anyone know if there's a way I can ease the pain of moving the site URL in terms of google links. I get a decent monthly revenue from google adwords.

Also, has anyone contacted Vodaphone? I'd be very interested in buying the Demon domain as part of a group just to save all this hassle.

John Hall

Apr 7, 2020, 4:11:12 PM4/7/20
In message <1a322d02-2c03-4184...@googlegroups.com>,
strathspey...@gmail.com writes
If they wouldn't sell to Namesco, then it seems unlikely that they'd be
willing to sell to anyone else for less than an exorbitant price. I
wonder if it's all those lovely underlying IP addresses that Vodafone
values so highly.

Joe

Apr 7, 2020, 4:56:57 PM4/7/20
On Tue, 7 Apr 2020 21:09:56 +0100
John Hall <john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <1a322d02-2c03-4184...@googlegroups.com>,
> strathspey...@gmail.com writes
> >Nice to see a thread about this. I've had jo...@unixnerd.demon.co.uk
> >for over 25 years, changing it is just terrible. Worse, my BMW site
> >www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk has been online so long it's got a huge
> >number of links from other sites and great page rank on google.
> >
> >Anyone know if there's a way I can ease the pain of moving the site
> >URL in terms of google links. I get a decent monthly revenue from
> >google adwords.
> >
> >Also, has anyone contacted Vodaphone? I'd be very interested in
> >buying the Demon domain as part of a group just to save all this
> >hassle.
>
> If they wouldn't sell to Namesco, then it seems unlikely that they'd
> be willing to sell to anyone else for less than an exorbitant price.
> I wonder if it's all those lovely underlying IP addresses that
> Vodafone values so highly.

There's no doubt that's what they wanted Demon for, they know almost
nothing about non-domestic ISP services. Not that Demon had known much
about it for years.

But there's no link with the domain name once the DNS has been cleared
out. My suspicion is that there are memories of the Demon name out
there (the last Bishop of Brentwood demanded a different ISP when he
found that his cathedral email was on Demon) and Vodafone don't want any
hangover from it. They'll probably abandon it in a few years. It's a
microscopic cost to keep it out of other hands for a decade.

--
Joe

Ruth E

Apr 20, 2020, 5:42:22 AM4/20/20
On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 11:42:17 AM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
> VoodoPhone are finally calling in the exorcist for their Demon problem!
> I just received this from Namesco. At least it isn't for April 1st!
> WARNING: Termination of all Demon subdomains on 29th May.

Not sure why I'm 3 weeks late to the party, but I have only just received this notification from Namesco today - with the same 29th May cut-off date, so only 5 weeks for me to sort out a new domain and update my 500-odd email addresses.

Also concerned to read here that POP/SMTP is going to stop working, as I get my email (via Outlook 2010) using POP3/SMTP. Any idea when that is happening? I'm a complete Luddite (hence why still with Demon after all this time!). Any pointers to what I will need to do instead? TIA.

Neil

Apr 20, 2020, 8:45:30 AM4/20/20
It's an absolute nightmare! I dumped Demon years and years ago but I have an aged family member who stuck with it. There are real problems changing an email address as you need to remember all the people who have the old one. 22 years with the same email address and all those people to contact. It is the services that require your email address to identify you that are the problem. Vodaphone are a complete shower. They changed my relatives' phone number during the last change. I'm recommending a complete break. It isn't worth the 60 quid odd a year that Namesco is charging. A free email may well be simpler.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Apr 20, 2020, 10:59:53 AM4/20/20
On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 at 05:45:28, Neil <ne...@aurinia.co.uk> wrote:
>On Monday, 20 April 2020 10:42:22 UTC+1, Ruth E wrote:
>> On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 11:42:17 AM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
>> > VoodoPhone are finally calling in the exorcist for their Demon problem!
>> > I just received this from Namesco. At least it isn't for April 1st!
>> > WARNING: Termination of all Demon subdomains on 29th May.
>>
>> Not sure why I'm 3 weeks late to the party, but I have only just
>>received this notification from Namesco today - with the same 29th May
>>cut-off date, so only 5 weeks for me to sort out a new domain and
>>update my 500-odd email addresses.

(The non-techy person I'm doing my best to help has 4000-odd; she runs
some local something.)

>> Also concerned to read here that POP/SMTP is going to stop working,
>>as I get my email (via Outlook 2010) using POP3/SMTP. Any idea when
>>that is happening? I'm a complete Luddite (hence why still with Demon
>>after all this time!). Any pointers to what I will need to do
>>instead? TIA.

If you know any more about this, please share; the notes at
https://www.names.co.uk/support/email/demon_email/2849-demon_email_how_to_update_an_existing_pop_or_imap_account.html
_seem_ to suggest it will continue as before, you just have to change
the username to your [presumably new] email address. It does contain
notes on various Outlooks, including, specifically, 2010; unfortunately
it doesn't cover Turnpike (which, given who is affected, is rather poor
- though I do accept it was never their product). But if POP/SMTP _is_
ceasing, I'd need to know to help my friend.

>It's an absolute nightmare! I dumped Demon years and years ago but I
>have an aged family member who stuck with it. There are real problems
>changing an email address as you need to remember all the people who
>have the old one. 22 years with the same email address and all those
>people to contact. It is the services that require your email address
>to identify you that are the problem.

Yes, those are probably worse than just email contacts. (I had one -
GRO, the general record office [I use for genealogy] - who had no
mechanism at all, they just use your email _as_ your username; so I'm
still logging in to that using the dead email.)

> Vodaphone are a complete shower. They changed my relatives' phone
>number during the last change. I'm recommending a complete break. It

Given the disruption caused by the virus (my friend tells me namesco are
basically uncontactable by 'phone), you'd have thought they might
postpone it until after the hostilities - but, even despite attempts to
shame them on Twitter, they've not responded at all. [I don't do
Facebook - I don't hate it unlike most other non-users, I just don't
have time and hate the user interface - but if anyone fancies trying to
get at them that way, please do!]

>isn't worth the 60 quid odd a year that Namesco is charging. A free
>email may well be simpler.

Might be simpler for some, at least for one year. (I don't know what
that 60 gets you; I get my registration, mail handling, and a small
website, for twentysomething a year, from TSOhost [if anyone switches to
them, please mention me - I can't remember if they do a referral
reward!], so 60 sounds a lot, but I don't know what else it includes.
Namesco _are_ offering one year's registration [of some kinds of domain,
I think .uk and .co.uk] free, if that's relevant.)

every time Trump says "Failing New York Times" the number of digital
subscribers rises. - NYT CEO quoted by Jon Sopel in RT 2018/6/23-29

Peter Hill

Apr 20, 2020, 2:13:25 PM4/20/20
I still don't have the e-mail.

If they did all surnames beginning B on the 30th of last month.
and have just got to the C's on the 20.
they should be getting to the H's by sometime next year 11 months after
it shuts down.

I only moved off Demon to Zen last month.

Can anyone find a mail hosting that allows *@mydomain? Thunderbird is
quite capable of sorting the incoming mail.

Namesco are expensive but were expedient as only had to set up the alias
on office 356 and not go round 135 banks/insurance co/forums/online
shops etc changing e-mail address. Defiantly not worth it when 135
website signups have be changed to the new domain.

Zen only allows 10 mailboxes/users.

Google limits at 100 alias and can't send from these - only send from a
a user account.
https://domains.google/intl/en-GB/getting-started/email/

TSO seem to think that the more addresses means the price goes up as
they have to provide an unwanted webmail instance/login/password for
each address. Every e-mail alias is a different employee with private
e-mail. That means every e-mail "alias" has to have a new account on
Thunderbird!

https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/alias-catchall.html
5$/month with vanity domain. about the same price as Namseco but genuine
catch all allow names to be made up on the fly without having to go a
control panel and edit the alias list with some arbitrary limit on
number of alias.
https://www.fastmail.com/pricing/

unlimited alias on doamin £44.75 /year
https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/email/
can catch-all
https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/9412/2214/how-to-set-up-catchall-in-namecheap-private-email/

https://runbox.com/
https://blog.runbox.com/2013/06/unlimited-aliases-using-catch-all/

It seems that catch-all is readily available but send from alias is not,
so each alias eats a user account and pushes the price though the roof..

https://strongtestimonials.com/cheap-email-hosting/

Unlimited aliases, group lists & forwarding $2.99/month
https://www.rackspace.com/email-hosting/webmail

ANY OTHERS?

Raspberry PI mail server?
https://www.ionos.co.uk/digitalguide/server/configuration/set-up-your-own-raspberry-pi-mail-server/
I've seen a suggestion that the constant sorting of mail records by a
database program can trash a SD card, so it may be wise to use hard disc
for traffic and backup to SD.
One off setup fee for PI and £10/year for domain.

Ruth E

Apr 20, 2020, 2:36:03 PM4/20/20
> I still don't have the e-mail.
> > If they did all surnames beginning B on the 30th of last month.
> and have just got to the C's on the 20.
> they should be getting to the H's by sometime next year 11 months after
> it shuts down.

I'm also an H surname, so I guess their notifications aren't alphabetical. Someone, on this thread or another, suggested there were only ~6000 Demon users left, so you'd think they could have notified that few in the space of a day or two? Perhaps they are trying to avoid 6000 support calls/tickets arriving too quickly?

> Namesco are expensive but were expedient as only had to set up the alias
> on office 356 and not go round 135 banks/insurance co/forums/online
> shops etc changing e-mail address. Defiantly not worth it when 135
> website signups have be changed to the new domain.

I suspect Namesco *are* expensive, but I can't take too much change in one go. So I will stick with them as 'better the devil you know'!

John Hall

Apr 20, 2020, 3:17:13 PM4/20/20
In message <r7konr$1ncg$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Peter Hill
<peter...@skyshacknospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>Can anyone find a mail hosting that allows *@mydomain? Thunderbird is
>quite capable of sorting the incoming mail.

Pickaweb: https://www.pickaweb.co.uk/

Interestingly, their prices as shown on their website seem to be a lot
more than I'm paying, perhaps because as one of the Gradwell customers
passed on en masse to Pickaweb I may have got a special rate. On my last
invoice my account is described as "Gradwell Hosting Plans - en NG
Shared Hosting Standard". Including VAT it's costing me £24.34 per year.
To that one has to add the cost of domain renewal at £7.99 per year.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Apr 20, 2020, 4:22:54 PM4/20/20
On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 at 19:13:19, Peter Hill
<peter...@skyshacknospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
[]
>Can anyone find a mail hosting that allows *@mydomain? Thunderbird is
>quite capable of sorting the incoming mail.
[]
>TSO seem to think that the more addresses means the price goes up as
>they have to provide an unwanted webmail instance/login/password for
>each address. Every e-mail alias is a different employee with private
>e-mail. That means every e-mail "alias" has to have a new account on
>Thunderbird!
[]
I thought anything-before-the-@ was common for all providers!

I'm with TSOhost, and can - and do - use lots of variation before the @
sign, for my flat rate of twentysomething pounds a year, including
domain registration fee. I don't use webmail, and only ever access the
tiny website I have with them using one identity, if either of those
make any difference. I use Turnpike; I'd have to set up a "personality"
for every outgoing alias if I wanted them to use a different signature
etc., and have them appear in a drop-down list (I have about five like
that); but if I just manually tweak the From:/Reply-to: headers, I
don't. I don't actually use TSOhost's outgoing server, I use PlusNet's.
But incoming mail to <anything>@255soft.uk gets to me.

Eve had an Apple, Adam had a Wang...

phil

Apr 20, 2020, 4:50:29 PM4/20/20
I went with 1and1, now IONOS, and they allow me <anything>@<domain> with
the free e-mail that came with the domain registration. I've been with
them for just about 3 years now and had no problems.

--
Phil

Invalid

Apr 20, 2020, 7:02:15 PM4/20/20
I use (and have done since I got my own domain) a small Scottish outfit
cali.co.uk. Their basic package @£30/year (plus VAT so £36) gives me
domain registration, a small amount (50Mb) of webspace, a 1G mail store
and mail service.

Incoming I only use the catchall box and let Turnpike sort it out. Their
outgoing server allows anyt...@my.domain

I can only recall one mail outage in the last 20 years and that lasted a
couple of hours. Their service and support is typical small firm -
quick, friendly and personal.

In message <s+26dpIGQgneFw9$@255soft.uk>, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6...@255soft.uk> writes
Invalid

John

Apr 20, 2020, 8:53:49 PM4/20/20
In message <1ccdc66c-2556-4290...@googlegroups.com>, Ruth
E <cemy...@gmail.com> writes
You have a reprieve of about a year. After that Outlook 2013 (with some
changes to the registry) and Outlook 2016 will still work. Other
clients, probably not.

From Microsoft:

To: All

priorities have changed for many of our customers we have decided to
postpone retiring Basic Authentication in Exchange Online (MC204828) for
those tenants still actively using it until the second half of 2021. We
will provide a more precise date when we have a better understanding of
the impact of the situation.

[How does this affect me?]

We will continue to disable Basic Authentication for newly created
tenants by default and begin to disable Basic Authentication in tenants
that have no recorded usage starting October 2020. And of course you can
start blocking legacy authentication today, you don’t need us to do
anything if you want to get started (and you should).

We will also continue to complete the roll-out of OAuth support for POP,
IMAP, SMTP AUTH and Remote PowerShell and continue to improve our
reporting capabilities. We will publish more details on these as we make
progress.

[What do I need to do to prepare?]

This change allows you more time to update clients, applications and
services that are using Basic Authentication to use Modern
Authentication.

--
John

Stephen Pelc

Apr 21, 2020, 4:50:05 AM4/21/20
On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 19:13:19 +0100, Peter Hill
<peter...@skyshacknospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Zen only allows 10 mailboxes/users.

If you can filter the mail at your end, you can send *all* email to a
catchall account, e.g. catc...@foobar.myzen.co.uk and you will then
have to look at the headers to find the recipient. It's a pain to set
up but it works.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, ste...@mpeforth.com
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, +44 (0)78 0390 3612

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Apr 21, 2020, 6:43:04 AM4/21/20
On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 at 08:50:04, Stephen Pelc <ste...@mpeforth.com>
wrote:
>On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 19:13:19 +0100, Peter Hill
><peter...@skyshacknospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Zen only allows 10 mailboxes/users.
>
>If you can filter the mail at your end, you can send *all* email to a
>catchall account, e.g. catc...@foobar.myzen.co.uk and you will then
>have to look at the headers to find the recipient. It's a pain to set
>up but it works.
>
>Stephen

That sounds like you're speaking of a subdomain (of myzen.co.uk), like
the Demon ones that are coming to an end; what's the situation where
you're talking of foobar.uk or foobar.co.uk - assuming, that is, that
zen _do_ hosting and/or registration services for such domains?

the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'. Professor Edzart Ernst, prudential
magazine, AUTUMN 2006, p. 13.

Stephen Pelc

Apr 21, 2020, 2:25:27 PM4/21/20
On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 11:42:15 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:

>>>Zen only allows 10 mailboxes/users.
>>
>>If you can filter the mail at your end, you can send *all* email to a
>>catchall account, e.g. catc...@foobar.myzen.co.uk and you will then
>>have to look at the headers to find the recipient. It's a pain to set
>>up but it works.

>That sounds like you're speaking of a subdomain (of myzen.co.uk), like
>the Demon ones that are coming to an end; what's the situation where
>you're talking of foobar.uk or foobar.co.uk - assuming, that is, that
>zen _do_ hosting and/or registration services for such domains?

Zen hosts mpeforth.com for us. We collect mail as described above.

Just ask them - their tech support people are really good.

Neil

Apr 28, 2020, 8:34:58 AM4/28/20
Oh my goodness yes. We've just realised there is some medical stuff which is affected by that problem. Your approach of course is fine and just logging in with a dead email address but what if you forget a password!

Richard_CC

May 18, 2020, 8:28:34 AM5/18/20
On 20/04/2020 19:13, Peter Hill wrote:

> I only moved off Demon to Zen last month.
>
> Can anyone find a mail hosting that allows *@mydomain? Thunderbird is
> quite capable of sorting the incoming mail.

Late to the party, maybe not too late to help.

You can use the zen outgoing server and authenticate to it just like the
old demon days, so you can send from any address you choose.

My setup (post demon) is a domain registered with easily, I have no paid
for email service from them but you can set up the domain to forward
emails wherever you like, either 20 individually or wildcard all to same
place. That means *@mydomain gives me unlimited addresses, but I choose
to use 6 regularly. I forward to a yahoo account that I use for nothing
else and POP3 collect from it using thunderbird. I also have a gamial
ccount set up in the same way so if Yahoo gets to be a problem I can log
in to easily and change the redirect.

The outgoing mail server on all my devices is the zen one,
mailhost.zen.co.uk, port 995, SSL/TLS and a password.

Anyone digging around in the view all headers will see that emails from
my domain really come from zen, but its never been an issue. SPF might
be a problem but never has been.