Thanks and farewell

Richard_CC

Nov 2, 2020, 3:07:04 PM11/2/20
I was astonished to see that I moved from Demon to Zen 5 1/2 years ago -
it seems like yesterday. I've been keeping up with this newsgroup
because of my zombie website, watching and making the odd contribution
but now that has been resolved it's time to go.

There is nothing to be gained from reiterating the decline of Demon from
'the best' to 'actively bad', but throughout that time this newsgroup
has been a saviour. From simple stuff like which romp was romping best
in dial up days, through 'password server down - again' so I know its
not just me and stop wasting time reconfiguring, to all the phases of
going-going-gone communication from Voda-Demon when we all pieced
together our various miscommunications to understand what was happening.
The how to save turnpike when the paid for version support ceased was
invaluable at the time.

I have always found the posters here to be knowledgeable, helpful and
sensible. It is one of the few groups that never descended into
pointless name calling behaviour. I have learned a lot in the last 20+
years and while able to chip in on some topics I know that I have taken
more than I have given.

So thank you all. cowling1.demon.co.uk has left the building....

unless my zombie website reappears in which case, I'll be back :)

John Hall

Nov 2, 2020, 5:09:18 PM11/2/20
In message <rnpot7$aiq$1...@dont-email.me>, Richard_CC
<ric...@nospam.rjcresources.co.uk> writes
<snip>
>So thank you all. cowling1.demon.co.uk has left the building....

Goodbye. I'm sorry to see you go. I shall continue to subscribe to the
group, even though I'm not sure why. I haven't used any of Demon's
services since - I think - January 2019, when I jumped ship in the
knowledge that if I didn't then within a few months I would be pushed. I
had already set up my own domain and associated email address many years
before, so I was lucky that leaving was a fairly easy and painless
process.
--
John Hall

You can divide people into two categories:
those who divide people into two categories and those who don't

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Nov 2, 2020, 6:55:31 PM11/2/20
On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 20:07:03, Richard_CC
<ric...@nospam.rjcresources.co.uk> wrote:
[]
>newsgroup has been a saviour. From simple stuff like which romp was
[]
>happening. The how to save turnpike when the paid for version support
>ceased was invaluable at the time.

Though DIST also still survives (and questions are asked and answered!)!

>I have always found the posters here to be knowledgeable, helpful and
>sensible. It is one of the few groups that never descended into

Agreed.

>pointless name calling behaviour. I have learned a lot in the last 20+
>years and while able to chip in on some topics I know that I have taken
>more than I have given.

Ditto.

>So thank you all. cowling1.demon.co.uk has left the building....
>

>unless my zombie website reappears in which case, I'll be back :)

(-:

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when
you make it again. -Franklin P. Jones

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Nov 2, 2020, 6:58:31 PM11/2/20
On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 22:07:13, John Hall <john_...@jhall.co.uk>
wrote:
>In message <rnpot7$aiq$1...@dont-email.me>, Richard_CC
><ric...@nospam.rjcresources.co.uk> writes
><snip>
>>So thank you all. cowling1.demon.co.uk has left the building....
>
>Goodbye. I'm sorry to see you go. I shall continue to subscribe to the
>group, even though I'm not sure why. I haven't used any of Demon's

So will I, and I don't either! Well, part of it is friends.
[]

Alan Woodford

Nov 3, 2020, 2:15:46 AM11/3/20
On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 22:07:13 +0000, John Hall <john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <rnpot7$aiq$1...@dont-email.me>, Richard_CC
><ric...@nospam.rjcresources.co.uk> writes
><snip>
>>So thank you all. cowling1.demon.co.uk has left the building....
>
>Goodbye. I'm sorry to see you go. I shall continue to subscribe to the
>group, even though I'm not sure why. I haven't used any of Demon's
>services since - I think - January 2019, when I jumped ship in the
>knowledge that if I didn't then within a few months I would be pushed. I
>had already set up my own domain and associated email address many years
>before, so I was lucky that leaving was a fairly easy and painless
>process.

I escaped the tender mercies of the Crack Accounts Team four years ago, but
I'll stay subscribed....

There's something vaguely reassuring about the fact that usenet is still alive
at all after all these years :-)

Alan Woodford

The Greying Lensman

Tim Lamb

Nov 3, 2020, 5:23:27 AM11/3/20
In message <0Q+ZmFBRMIofFwAn@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes
>In message <rnpot7$aiq$1...@dont-email.me>, Richard_CC
><ric...@nospam.rjcresources.co.uk> writes
><snip>
>>So thank you all. cowling1.demon.co.uk has left the building....
>
>Goodbye. I'm sorry to see you go. I shall continue to subscribe to the
>group, even though I'm not sure why. I haven't used any of Demon's
>services since - I think - January 2019, when I jumped ship in the
>knowledge that if I didn't then within a few months I would be pushed.
>I had already set up my own domain and associated email address many
>years before, so I was lucky that leaving was a fairly easy and
>painless process.

Indeed. There are now 3 *zombie* groups on my list! The 4th. is active
and generally sensibly useful (uk.d-i.y). Occasionally a recognisable
name crops up from the past.

Thanks to all for un-rewarded help given over the years.

Last moment of entertainment, I signed up for HMRC services using the
.dcu address. I wonder how their system treats bounces:-)

--
Tim Lamb

John Hall

Nov 3, 2020, 6:00:10 AM11/3/20
In message <9YJkFpzG...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
<t...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>Last moment of entertainment, I signed up for HMRC services using the
>.dcu address. I wonder how their system treats bounces:-)

:)

Talking of bounces, I see you're still using your Demon address for your
From on here. And from these headers:

it looks like it might also be the email address that you used when you
signed up with NIN, which would mean that if they email you to let you
know that it's time to renew your subscription you wouldn't get the
message. (The Demon address is also in your Message-Id, but that doesn't
really matter.)

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Nov 3, 2020, 6:35:43 AM11/3/20
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 07:15:44, Alan Woodford <al...@thewoodfords.uk>
wrote:
[]
>I escaped the tender mercies of the Crack Accounts Team four years ago, but

(-:

>I'll stay subscribed....

Good; I enjoy your input. (And Output.)

>There's something vaguely reassuring about the fact that usenet is still alive
>at all after all these years :-)

Yes - and when there's a flurry in a moribund 'group (as recently in
alt.comp.blind-users), there's a feeling of long-dormant machinery
whirring into life. (Not sure whether I feel it makes a scraping noise
or comes on quietly.)

>Alan Woodford
>
>The Greying Lensman

I've always thought that's a really classy moniker. (Though are you not
snowy-white by now!) [I take it you _are_ a cameraman and/or
photographer, either by profession or as serious hobbyist.]

The advantage with David Attenborough is that people just want to hear him
talk. About anything.
- Kirsty Young (Desert Island Discs presenter), RT 2015/9/25-10/2

Tim Lamb

Nov 3, 2020, 7:21:50 AM11/3/20
In message <UL+hg1BRgTofFw1H@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes
>In message <9YJkFpzG...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
><t...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>>Last moment of entertainment, I signed up for HMRC services using the
>>.dcu address. I wonder how their system treats bounces:-)
>
>:)
>
>Talking of bounces, I see you're still using your Demon address for
>your From on here. And from these headers:

>it looks like it might also be the email address that you used when you
>signed up with NIN, which would mean that if they email you to let you
>know that it's time to renew your subscription you wouldn't get the
>message. (The Demon address is also in your Message-Id, but that
>doesn't really matter.)

We had this discussion a while back. I use Thunderbird for mail so the
only problem is newsgroup sourced correspondence. Fingers crossed, I
haven't had a spam mail from this for years!

Various permutations were tried with no effect.

I'll check NIN, thanks. Currently I am paid up until next September.

--
Tim Lamb

Alan Woodford

Nov 3, 2020, 7:40:42 AM11/3/20
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 11:35:04 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@255soft.uk>
wrote:

>On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 07:15:44, Alan Woodford <al...@thewoodfords.uk>
>wrote:
>[]
>>I escaped the tender mercies of the Crack Accounts Team four years ago, but
>
>(-:
>
>>I'll stay subscribed....
>
>Good; I enjoy your input. (And Output.)

Thanks!

>>There's something vaguely reassuring about the fact that usenet is still alive
>>at all after all these years :-)
>
>Yes - and when there's a flurry in a moribund 'group (as recently in
>alt.comp.blind-users), there's a feeling of long-dormant machinery
>whirring into life. (Not sure whether I feel it makes a scraping noise
>or comes on quietly.)
>>
>>Alan Woodford
>>
>>The Greying Lensman
>
>I've always thought that's a really classy moniker. (Though are you not
>snowy-white by now!) [I take it you _are_ a cameraman and/or
>photographer, either by profession or as serious hobbyist.]

Reasonably serious hobbyist photographer :-)

Also a play on one of E.E. "Doc" Smiths science fiction novels.

And I'm not snowy white yet - I've only been reitired for 18 months, it just
seems longer under the current circumstances!

Tim Lamb

Nov 3, 2020, 1:09:28 PM11/3/20
In message <mpro.qj8bba...@ypical.nospam.invalid>, Frederick
Bambrough <freddie@[127.0.0.1]> writes
>In message <9YJkFpzG...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>
> Tim Lamb <t...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>>
>> Indeed. There are now 3 *zombie* groups on my list! The 4th. is active
>> and generally sensibly useful (uk.d-i.y). Occasionally a recognisable
>> name crops up from the past.
>
>Just be careful who you're calling a zombie :-)

d.i.s.t of course still functions.
uk.business.agriculture gets a couple of posts/annum. Most have migrated
to the agricultural forums. Now the sat/nav drives the tractor, they can
play with their i-phones!

--
Tim Lamb

Adrian

Nov 3, 2020, 1:35:24 PM11/3/20
In message <8n02qf58ghtc1r8bp...@4ax.com>, Alan Woodford
<al...@thewoodfords.uk> writes
>I escaped the tender mercies of the Crack Accounts Team four years ago, but
>I'll stay subscribed....

8 years in my case, I thought that the writing was clearly on the wall
even then.

>There's something vaguely reassuring about the fact that usenet is still alive
>at all after all these years :-)

Oh yes indeed.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

John Hall

Nov 3, 2020, 1:48:40 PM11/3/20
In message <0EWfvYBk...@ku.gro.lloiff>, Adrian
<bul...@ku.gro.lioff> writes
>In message <8n02qf58ghtc1r8bp...@4ax.com>, Alan Woodford
><al...@thewoodfords.uk> writes
>>I escaped the tender mercies of the Crack Accounts Team four years ago, but
>>I'll stay subscribed....
>>

>8 years in my case, I thought that the writing was clearly on the wall
>even then.
>
>>There's something vaguely reassuring about the fact that usenet is still alive
>>at all after all these years :-)
>>

>Oh yes indeed.
>
>Adrian

Perhaps it's a sign of my age, but I feel that newsgroups are superior
to forums are superior to Facebook are superior to Discord (I don't have
anything to do with Twitter or Instagram, so don't know where they would
rank).

Adrian

Nov 3, 2020, 2:05:24 PM11/3/20
In message <Z4Z7CjD5RaofFwG5@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes
>Perhaps it's a sign of my age, but I feel that newsgroups are superior
>to forums are superior to Facebook are superior to Discord (I don't
>have anything to do with Twitter or Instagram, so don't know where they
>would rank).

I haven't come across Discord, and I avoid anti-social media, so for me
it is Usenet or forums.

Jim Crowther

Nov 3, 2020, 2:26:42 PM11/3/20
In demon.service, on Tue, 3 Nov 2020 18:42:01, John Hall wrote:

>In message <0EWfvYBk...@ku.gro.lloiff>, Adrian
><bul...@ku.gro.lioff> writes
>>In message <8n02qf58ghtc1r8bp...@4ax.com>, Alan Woodford
>><al...@thewoodfords.uk> writes
>>>I escaped the tender mercies of the Crack Accounts Team four years ago, but
>>>I'll stay subscribed....
>>>

>>8 years in my case, I thought that the writing was clearly on the wall
>>even then.
>>
>>>There's something vaguely reassuring about the fact that usenet is
>>>still alive
>>>at all after all these years :-)
>>>

>>Oh yes indeed.
>>
>>Adrian
>
>Perhaps it's a sign of my age, but I feel that newsgroups are superior
>to forums are superior to Facebook are superior to Discord (I don't
>have anything to do with Twitter or Instagram, so don't know where they
>would rank).

17 years in my case. ;) And I totally agree with you about those
rankings (and exclusions)!

--
Jim Crowther

Graeme

Nov 4, 2020, 5:52:53 AM11/4/20
>Indeed. There are now 3 *zombie* groups on my list! The 4th. is active
>and generally sensibly useful (uk.d-i.y). Occasionally a recognisable
>name crops up from the past.

I think we need to give thanks to the other Demon Usenet newsgroups,
too.

demon.ip.support.newuser was great when I first joined Demon

demon.ip.support.turnpike, ongoing help

demon.tech.pc at one time the 'go to' group for PC problems

demon.homepages.authoring to actually use that free space

Plus various others.

--
Graeme

Soruk

Jan 10, 2021, 4:42:03 PM1/10/21
I'm still lurking here, despite having been exorcised of all things
Demon since 4th December 2014, switching to Plusnet FTTC when I moved
house.

MailStripper - http://mailstripper.eridani.co.uk/ - SMTP spam filter
Matrix Dial: International Calls - http://www.matrixdial.co.uk/

ppin...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2022, 9:35:30 AM2/16/22
On Sunday, 10 January 2021 at 21:42:03 UTC, Soruk wrote:
>Jim Crowther <Don't_bo...@blackhole.do-not-spam.me.uk> wrote:
[]
> >>Perhaps it's a sign of my age, but I feel that newsgroups are superior
> >>to forums are superior to Facebook are superior to Discord (I don't
> >>have anything to do with Twitter or Instagram, so don't know where they
> >>would rank).
> > 17 years in my case. ;) And I totally agree with you about those
> > rankings (and exclusions)!
> I'm still lurking here, despite having been exorcised of all things
> Demon since 4th December 2014, switching to Plusnet FTTC when I moved
> house.

- *nods* - still lurking, still dreamoning...

- love, ppint.
--
''beijing zozz...''
- would appear to be this winter's tv motto