TP losing connection?

J. P. Gilliver

Jan 12, 2024, 10:23:30 AMJan 12
I tend to leave this computer on for days on end, with TP connected.

From time to time, TP seems to lose connection: everything else -
browser, ping from a command window - remains connected. Closing the TP
connection, or even closing and restarting Connect, doesn't work; I have
to restart the PC. Any thoughts on what's causing it?

Windows 7, 32 bit.

The average age of a single mum in this country is 37
- Jane Rackham, RT 2016/5/28-6/3

Andy

Jan 12, 2024, 11:24:44 AMJan 12
In message <zl9CRfh3...@255soft.uk>, J. P. Gilliver
<G6...@255soft.uk> wrote
>I tend to leave this computer on for days on end, with TP connected.
>
>From time to time, TP seems to lose connection: everything else -
>browser, ping from a command window - remains connected. Closing the TP
>connection, or even closing and restarting Connect, doesn't work; I
>have to restart the PC. Any thoughts on what's causing it?
>
>Windows 7, 32 bit.

Brief Drop-out on your internet connection? I have the same trouble with
the BBC.
--
Andy Taylor FRPSL
President, Treasurer & Editor of the Austrian Philatelic Society.

Tim Lamb

Jan 12, 2024, 12:27:34 PMJan 12
In message <84fezoAb...@kitzbuhel.co.uk>, Andy
<an...@kitzbuhel.co.uk> writes
>In message <zl9CRfh3...@255soft.uk>, J. P. Gilliver
><G6...@255soft.uk> wrote
>>I tend to leave this computer on for days on end, with TP connected.
>>
>>From time to time, TP seems to lose connection: everything else -
>>browser, ping from a command window - remains connected. Closing the
>>TP connection, or even closing and restarting Connect, doesn't work; I
>>have to restart the PC. Any thoughts on what's causing it?
>>
>>Windows 7, 32 bit.
>
>Brief Drop-out on your internet connection? I have the same trouble
>with the BBC.

Hmm. I have been struggling with my Internet service since the end of
November. Coincided with gales and tree branches in contact with
overhead phone cables. The other coincidence was me installing a W 7 pro
*roll up* upgrade from MS.
4 visits from Open Reach later I am still getting the occasional drop
out. Replace a 2 year old router next.

Service believed to be ADSL2 as I can get 16Mb down on a supply cable
length of around 1 mile!

Logging in to the router data gives lots of detail. The WAN section of
the Event Log gives connection speeds and SNR margins. Sadly not hugely
instructive to a retired Farmer:-(

--
Tim Lamb

J. P. Gilliver

Jan 13, 2024, 4:14:17 AMJan 13
In message <4puzRiC9...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> at Fri, 12 Jan
2024 17:10:21, Tim Lamb <t...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>In message <84fezoAb...@kitzbuhel.co.uk>, Andy
><an...@kitzbuhel.co.uk> writes
>>In message <zl9CRfh3...@255soft.uk>, J. P. Gilliver
>><G6...@255soft.uk> wrote
>>>I tend to leave this computer on for days on end, with TP connected.
>>>
>>>From time to time, TP seems to lose connection: everything else -
>>>browser, ping from a command window - remains connected. Closing the
>>>TP connection, or even closing and restarting Connect, doesn't work;
>>>I have to restart the PC. Any thoughts on what's causing it?
>>>
>>>Windows 7, 32 bit.
>>
>>Brief Drop-out on your internet connection? I have the same trouble
>>with the BBC.

I don't think so: once TP has started showing red rectangles, it remains
so - and everything else continues to work, such as browser and ping
from command prompt (as it happens ping BBC is one of the things I often
try).

>Hmm. I have been struggling with my Internet service since the end of
>November. Coincided with gales and tree branches in contact with
>overhead phone cables. The other coincidence was me installing a W 7
>pro *roll up* upgrade from MS.
>4 visits from Open Reach later I am still getting the occasional drop
>out. Replace a 2 year old router next.
>
>Service believed to be ADSL2 as I can get 16Mb down on a supply cable
>length of around 1 mile!
>
>Logging in to the router data gives lots of detail. The WAN section of
>the Event Log gives connection speeds and SNR margins. Sadly not hugely
>instructive to a retired Farmer:-(

Sounds like you _are_ having internet connection problems. Mine seem to
be TP only.

I hope you haven't been charged for the four Openreach visits - that
could get expensive!

I don't see the requirement to upset people. ... There's enough to make fun of
without offending. - Ronnie Corbett, in Radio Times 6-12 August 2011.

Tim Lamb

Jan 13, 2024, 4:25:22 AMJan 13
In message <k+D33MNN...@255soft.uk>, J. P. Gilliver
<G6...@255soft.uk> writes
Hmm. The last engineer told me that the slots are purchased in advance,
then allocated as needed.

New router arrived this morning so I'll see how that goes.

I have a re-furbished W11 m/c ready to install but trepidating over the
data transfer job!

Be goodbye to Turnpike after 27 years:-(

--
Tim Lamb

John Hall

Jan 13, 2024, 5:59:25 AMJan 13
In message <gKsF5KG0...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
If all else fails, then switching to fibre - assuming it's already
available in your area - might be the solution to your connection
problem.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people