Update IE 5.00 to v5.01 SP2

Stanley Medcraft

Mar 21, 2001, 12:45:52 PM3/21/01
My browser is the customised version of v5.00 2014 0216IS supplied by
Demon which has worked tolerably well for my limited purposes. A couple
of its minor functions are broken, but I've learned to live without
them, and I can also put up with its other irritating "features".

However, recently I've seen several favourable references to IE v5.01
SP2 which have led me to think about an update. Having studied, though
not fully understood, the relevant MS KB Articles I'm inclined to
attempt a download from the MS site <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie
/download/ie501sp2.htm> to my HD and install 5.01 SP2 over the top of my
current v5.00. But is it as simple as that? If there are those out there
who have tried this, I would be most interested in anything in the way
of comment/advice on their experiences.

My main concern is whether any of the Turnpike/Connect settings which
may have been customised by Demon would be upset by the update, though I
assume they could be restored fairly easily. I would also hope that it
would be a simple matter to back out of a new installation and return to
my current IE v5.00 should it all go horribly wrong.

I wouldn't normally consider fixing something that works reasonably well
but, in this case, am prepared to be adventurous unless advised that
updating is far more complicated than implied in the MS web pages.
Pointers to potential pitfalls or problems that might crop up in the
update process would be most welcome.

Thanks for listening.

Stan Medcraft

--

Stanley Medcraft
Computer : CyrixInstead/IBM P200 M2 /32MB Ram

Paul Martin

Mar 23, 2001, 3:32:31 AM3/23/01
In article <gDPOzUAQ...@stanmed.demon.co.uk>, Stanley Medcraft
<sta...@stanmed.demon.co.uk> writes

[snip]

>However, recently I've seen several favourable references to IE v5.01
>SP2 which have led me to think about an update. Having studied, though
>not fully understood, the relevant MS KB Articles I'm inclined to
>attempt a download from the MS site <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie
>/download/ie501sp2.htm> to my HD and install 5.01 SP2 over the top of my
>current v5.00. But is it as simple as that? If there are those out there
>who have tried this, I would be most interested in anything in the way
>of comment/advice on their experiences.

Yes, it should be as simple as that.

>My main concern is whether any of the Turnpike/Connect settings which
>may have been customised by Demon would be upset by the update, though I
>assume they could be restored fairly easily. I would also hope that it
>would be a simple matter to back out of a new installation and return to
>my current IE v5.00 should it all go horribly wrong.

Your Turnpike settings will be unaffected by the IE upgrade.

Unfortunately going back to IE v5.00 is not as simple as going to
forward to IE v5.01, however it is very unlikely that the installation
would go horribly wrong. (If it did, the v5.00 would probably be broken
as well)

>I wouldn't normally consider fixing something that works reasonably well
>but, in this case, am prepared to be adventurous unless advised that
>updating is far more complicated than implied in the MS web pages.
>Pointers to potential pitfalls or problems that might crop up in the
>update process would be most welcome.

As I have said, the upgrade should go well, you may find a few extra
favourites and links have been added, but the Demon branding will be
unaffected.

Happy upgrading,

--
Paul Martin TURNPIKE LTD

Stanley Medcraft

Mar 23, 2001, 4:51:56 AM3/23/01
In article <w789ISAf...@turnpike.com>, Paul Martin
<pma...@turnpike.com> writes
Very many thanks Paul. Just what I hoped to hear and I will now have a
go, probably this weekend.

Regards

Stan

--