Deleting News Articles in OE5.5

David Haggett

Jan 21, 2001, 12:07:42 PM1/21/01
All

I'm a newbie to OE having stuck with Turnpike since version 3.02
up 'til now. I only changed because I got fed up with the
interface.

I can't seem to find the setting/button/command to delete
specific messages/threads either on demand, or when closing the
application. All I seem to be able to do is delete the bodies of
read messages on closing, or to indiscriminately delete all
locally stored messages (neither of which is very useful).

All suggestions greatly received.

--
Best Regards
David W. Haggett

Paul Terry

Jan 23, 2001, 4:09:59 PM1/23/01
In article <980097767.15280.0...@news.demon.co.uk> David
Haggett wrote:

>I'm a newbie to OE having stuck with Turnpike since version 3.02
>up 'til now. I only changed because I got fed up with the
>interface.

There's rather more to software than the interface - functionality comes
to mind :)

(Mind you, it would be well worth looking out for TP6 when it appears).

>I can't seem to find the setting/button/command to delete
>specific messages/threads either on demand, or when closing the
>application.

AFAIR there is no way to do that - OE is a very basic piece of software
and has few of the functions of Turnpike (or many other mail/news
clients come to that).

>All suggestions greatly received.

Sorry not to be more positive, but no one else has replied, and I am a
bit surprised that you have downgraded from TP to OE.

--
Paul Terry

David Haggett

Jan 27, 2001, 3:55:20 AM1/27/01
"Paul Terry" <pa...@musonix.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article
<980097767.15280.0...@news.demon.co.uk> David
> Haggett wrote:
>
> >I'm a newbie to OE having stuck with Turnpike since version
3.02
> >up 'til now. I only changed because I got fed up with the
> >interface.
>
> There's rather more to software than the interface -
functionality comes
> to mind :)

You aren't wrong there:) You seem to have to put up with a lot
just to gain the message preview and heirarchical folder
structure.

> (Mind you, it would be well worth looking out for TP6 when it
appears).

I definitely will. I've kept the licence key safe, and I might
just return to TP5.

> AFAIR there is no way to do that - OE is a very basic piece of
software

I know. It doesn't even insert a response in the right place.
Thanks for answer. At least I've managed to find out how to
clean only a single NG (rather than all simultaneously).

Simon Coupland

Jan 28, 2001, 7:08:26 AM1/28/01
The way I have OE set-up so I can track new posts etc is as follows.

1. In "Tools - Options - Read" I check the "Mark all messages as read when
exiting a newsgroup"

2. Select "View - Current View - Hide read messages"

I leave the expiry dates at the default, so generally the post clear
themselves up after 5 days.

That works for me, but your requirements may be different.

Re: your comment about OE putting the response in the wrong place. Is that a
"netetiquette" issue - i.e. some people think the response goes before/after
the original post..? I'm never sure what the correct form is.

cheers

simon

Simon Coupland
Peak District, UK

"David Haggett" <da...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

David Haggett

Jan 28, 2001, 10:19:34 AM1/28/01
"Simon Coupland" <coup...@trekky.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> The way I have OE set-up so I can track new posts etc is as
follows.

> 1. In "Tools - Options - Read" I check the "Mark all messages
as read when
> exiting a newsgroup"
>
> 2. Select "View - Current View - Hide read messages"
>
> I leave the expiry dates at the default, so generally the post
clear
> themselves up after 5 days.

Thanks for this. I can work with the settings to get exactly
what I want. I didn't realise that there were show/hide rules.
Disk space is no longer an issue, so I don't actually need to
delete the unwanted threads.

> Re: your comment about OE putting the response in the wrong
place. Is that a
> "netetiquette" issue - i.e. some people think the response goes
before/after
> the original post..? I'm never sure what the correct form is.

That's it exactly. The follow-up/response goes at the end so an
answer naturally follows a question. In some forums you can
really get flamed badly for going against this convention.

Thanks again for your idea.

Andy

Jan 28, 2001, 12:10:48 PM1/28/01
In article <980683738.12723.0...@news.demon.co.uk>, Simon
Coupland <coup...@trekky.demon.co.uk> wrote
[]

>Re: your comment about OE putting the response in the wrong place. Is that a
>"netetiquette" issue - i.e. some people think the response goes before/after
>the original post..? I'm never sure what the correct form is.

I believe there is a formal recommendation...

In practice, any given group will have a convention - eg post below,
space sensibly and snip heavily, common on Usenet; post above and leave
everything including attachments, common on some Intranets. Those with
strong opinions will choose to ignore it; those with certain systems can
find it difficult to comply.
--
Andy
For Austrian philately <URL: http://www.kitzbuhel.demon.co.uk/austamps/>

Simon Coupland

Jan 28, 2001, 5:49:30 PM1/28/01
I tend to find that it is easier to read through a series of posts, if the
new text is at the top of the post - as I will have read the
question/comment in the previous post.

However, as I'm not one who wishes to upset the folk on the 'net, I'll start
posting at the end, rather than (as in this case) at the beginning.

BTW, I saw a post referring to the "--" that is generally inserted before
the sig. It suggested some newsreaders can format text (or delete it)
before/after the "--". Does anyone know what the expected action should be,
and which newsreaders implement this feature..?

Regards

Simon

Simon Coupland
Peak District, UK

"Andy" <an...@kitzbuhel.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Paul Terry

Jan 29, 2001, 3:46:52 AM1/29/01
In article <980722187.6249.0...@news.demon.co.uk> Simon
Coupland wrote:

>BTW, I saw a post referring to the "--" that is generally inserted before
>the sig.

This is the sig separator and is actually "-- " (i.e. space after the
two hyphens)

>It suggested some newsreaders can format text (or delete it)
>before/after the "--". Does anyone know what the expected action should be,

When you click Reply, they automatically remove all text below the sig
separator from the quote.

This is because it is conventional not to quote signatures when
replying.

>and which newsreaders implement this feature..?

Just about every newsreader and email client I have ever used - apart
from Outlook Express.

This mechanism fails when replying to people who use OE because OE
strips the trailing space from the sig separator :(

--
Paul Terry

Dr John Stockton

Jan 29, 2001, 8:29:32 AM1/29/01
JRS: In article <980722187.6249.0...@news.demon.co.uk>,
seen in news:demon.ip.support.ie4, Simon Coupland
<coup...@trekky.demon.co.uk> wrote at Sun, 28 Jan 2001 22:49:30 :-

>I tend to find that it is easier to read through a series of posts, if the
>new text is at the top of the post - as I will have read the
>question/comment in the previous post.

>BTW, I saw a post referring to the "--" that is generally inserted before
>the sig. It suggested some newsreaders can format text (or delete it)
>before/after the "--". Does anyone know what the expected action should be,
>and which newsreaders implement this feature..?

Read the references below. It is "-- ", not "--"; the space is vital.

The action is entirely optional, since "-- " is a marker and not an
instruction; but Turnpike, notoriously standards-respecting, will snip
from there on (by default) in a Reply, since convention is not to quote
signatures.

An important part of top-quoting is to quote only enough to provide
context for the reply, since the full previous article can be viewed at
need. Bottom-quote does not achieve this.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 MIME ©
Prof Timo Salmi's Usenet Q&A <URL:ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsfaqn.zip>

Simon Coupland

Feb 7, 2001, 2:07:53 PM2/7/01
"Dr John Stockton" <sp...@merlyn.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Read the references below. It is "-- ", not "--"; the space is vital.

Noted.

> An important part of top-quoting is to quote only enough to provide
> context for the reply, since the full previous article can be viewed at
> need. Bottom-quote does not achieve this.

Having read the references you provided, I now feel nervous about replying
at all, the opportunity to get it wrong is amazing.

I would be interested in your recommendations re: newsreaders, from a
standards adherence, as well as usability point of view. Any thoughts..?

Regards

Andy

Feb 7, 2001, 3:28:15 PM2/7/01
In article <981572879.2399.0...@news.demon.co.uk>, Simon
Coupland <coup...@trekky.demon.co.uk> wrote

>"Dr John Stockton" <sp...@merlyn.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Read the references below. It is "-- ", not "--"; the space is vital.
>
>Noted.

Your use of Outlook Express also noted - it will remove (nay, has
removed) the space you will have inserted after the --

>> An important part of top-quoting is to quote only enough to provide
>> context for the reply, since the full previous article can be viewed at
>> need. Bottom-quote does not achieve this.
>>

>Having read the references you provided, I now feel nervous about replying
>at all, the opportunity to get it wrong is amazing.

True; but you have almost failed to get it wrong :) ......

>I would be interested in your recommendations re: newsreaders, from a
>standards adherence, as well as usability point of view. Any thoughts..?

Turnpike is Not Bad At All.

>Regards
>--
>Simon Coupland
>Peak District, UK

apart from the four extra carriage returns after "Peak District, UK" !!

Simon Coupland

Feb 7, 2001, 5:19:23 PM2/7/01

> Your use of Outlook Express also noted - it will remove (nay, has
> removed) the space you will have inserted after the --

That's why I wanted alternative suggestions - although I do like the
simplicity of OE. I'll try Turnpike and see how I get on.

> True; but you have almost failed to get it wrong :) ......

> apart from the four extra carriage returns after "Peak District, UK" !!

Fixed, I hope...%-)

Dr John Stockton

Feb 8, 2001, 11:20:49 AM2/8/01
JRS: In article <981572879.2399.0...@news.demon.co.uk>,

<coup...@trekky.demon.co.uk> wrote at Wed, 7 Feb 2001 19:07:53 :-

>I would be interested in your recommendations re: newsreaders, from a
>standards adherence, as well as usability point of view. Any thoughts..?

As regards standards adherence, ISTM that there are three types of
newsreaders (reminds me of David Frost's old Emperor-of-Ethiopia joke,
which really works only orally) :

Turnpike : Highly compliant

Most others : Moderately compliant, some highly, some not

Microsoft : Independent of standards, including its own.

As regards usability : the only ones presently available that I've used
are :

Turnpike : very usable, powerful

DIS for DOS : forgotten.

I use TP4.00. They say TP5 is better; and that's currently available.
TP6 Beta is now out; it's got a different human interface. Subscribe to
d.i.s.turnpike and decide among what I guess are the three main choices :

Stick with what you're using

Try TP5 now, and perhaps change to TP6 after full release

Stick with what you're using, and try TP6 after full release.

The TP6 Beta is intended only for experienced users. On the other hand,
as you have no TP <6 experience, a new load of TP6 shouldn't do much
harm. Perhaps try a later beta, but not the current first one?

NOTE : visually, TP <6 has a style largely of its own; TP6 looks like
part of Windows. Personally, I prefer different things to look
different, though where they can work the same way they should do so.

>--
;-(

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Bob Mortimer

Feb 9, 2001, 1:05:02 AM2/9/01
"Simon Coupland" <coup...@trekky.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I would be interested in your recommendations re: newsreaders, from a
> standards adherence, as well as usability point of view. Any thoughts..?

Forte's Agent is very good - I've been using it for over 5 years now.
There's a free version (which doesn't handle incoming mail) at
http://www.forteinc.com/

--
Bob Mortimer
E-Mail B...@pontlliw.demon.co.uk