old Arduino/Marla delta getting used for PPE - homing issues, won't always stop

Doug LaRue

Apr 5, 2020, 8:44:56 PM4/5/20
to Delta robot 3D printers
It's been a while since I had my deltas doing any work but with the Covid-19 PPE shortage I needed a machine large enough to print face shields and that is my Almost Mini Kossel with the 340mm diameter.

I needed to update the firmware because it would stall for a moment and leave little blobs in the side of the print and when that's against a forehead, it's not good.
So I dug though my directories, found my Marla1.04 with my calibration notes in the file( M66 commands ) but just in case I ran M503 and saved those settings.

I turned off the SD card and the LCD display and uploaded the firmware but now when I send G28 it'll go up and then not stop trying to go up.  But if I power cycle the
machine and then send G28 it will home normally that one time.

Any clues?

Doug LaRue

Apr 5, 2020, 9:14:31 PM4/5/20
to Delta robot 3D printers
Marlin 1.04 by Rich Cattell

This was not supposed to take the machine offline since you know, it was just turn two definitions, SDSUPPORT and REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER, off and then it would be back in business either working better with fiewer stalls or doing the same.
Print speed was already turned down to 70mm/s so I was going to take it to 60mm/s and see how that worked.

Doug LaRue

Apr 6, 2020, 12:06:52 AM4/6/20
to Delta robot 3D printers
Oh my, enabling the SD card and RepRap display gets it homing normally.

I will now research more into how to properly disable the display, if possible, and see if there's a more updated version of Marlin with as-good or better delta support as RichieC did.

Doug LaRue

Apr 6, 2020, 4:42:17 AM4/6/20
to Delta robot 3D printers
Does anyone know why Marlin 2.0 with the delta configuration(kossel_mini) only adjusts the X and Y endstops and not the Z?
No matter what I set in the Configuration.h or with M666 the Z tower endstop just goes up, hits the switch and stop while the others hit the switch and then adjust down to what's set with M666.
I've set 3 values in DELTA_ENDSTOP_ADJ too but no fun on Z so it makes calibrating it a bitch.

Aaron Milligan

Apr 13, 2020, 12:56:53 PM4/13/20
to Delta robot 3D printers
I noticed that too. I didn't find calibration to be any more difficult though. Set Z Max from just below the Z-tower, and calibrate your x and y offsets.

Doug LaRue

Apr 13, 2020, 4:30:49 PM4/13/20
to Delta robot 3D printers
Interesting. I may have to try that. Thx

Aaron Milligan

Apr 13, 2020, 4:50:29 PM4/13/20
to delt...@googlegroups.com
After I thought about it, maybe it doesn't work that way? Regardless, I was able to get pretty close, then I ran G33 with manual probing and eprom enabled in the firmware. I usually don't use my LCD display or a probe, but I had to set the LCD up for this so I could use the rotary encoder to manually lower the extruder until I got some drag with a piece of paper. That set the z height, delta radius and offsets. M500 to save settings and it worked great.