Delta-sharing with columnMapping.mode=name

Artem Zhukov

Mar 13, 2024, 7:57:57 PMMar 13
to delta...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

When we are trying to share (using delta-sharing) the delta table with the following properties (we are using databricks UC):

```
delta.minWriterVersion=5
delta.minReaderVersion=2
delta.columnMapping.mode=name
the delta-sharing is failing with:
```

We’ve got the following exception:

```
Failed to update share tmp-zgreen-sharing-experiments
Table property delta.columnMapping.mode is found in
table version: 127.
Here are a couple options to proceed:
1. Contact support to enable sharing of tables with
Deletion Vectors or Column Mappings.
Then share the table with history in UI or with SQL command:
ALTER SHARE <share> ADD TABLE <table> WITH HISTORY.
Note: Your recipients can only query these shared tables if
they are using Databricks with DBR version 14.1 or higher,
or using delta-sharing-spark with version 3.1 or higher. 2.
Disable Deletion Vectors for the table with
(`ALTER TABLE <table_name> SET TBLPROPERTIES
(delta.enableDeletionVectors=false)`)
and rewrite it without Deletion Vectors
(`REORG TABLE <table_name> APPLY(PURGE)`).
```

I tried so far the option 2, and it changed nothing. I suspect that the issue is not connected with the deletion vectors at all (because we need the delta writer of version 7 to work with deletion vectors [1]).

Other constraint is that our client uses aws glue 4.0 with spark 3.3.

The question is how to make delta-sharing work from within databricks environment and still being able to use `delta.columnMapping.mode=name`.

--
zhukovgreen,

Data Engineer @Paylocity
https://github.com/zhukovgreen

Lin Zhou

Mar 22, 2024, 2:41:19 PMMar 22
to Delta Lake Users and Developers
Hi
Sorry the error message is not accurate and we've updated it which will release in a couple weeks.

CM sharing in databricks environment is under private preview, if you contact your databricks support or share your account-id here directly, we can onboard you to column mapping sharing.

Artem Zhukov

Mar 26, 2024, 9:32:31 AMMar 26
to Lin Zhou, Delta Lake Users and Developers
Hi Lin,

--

On Mar 22, 2024, at 19:41, 'Lin Zhou' via Delta Lake Users and Developers <delta...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi
Sorry the error message is not accurate and we've updated it which will release in a couple weeks.

CM sharing in databricks environment is under private preview, if you contact your databricks support or share your account-id here directly, we can onboard you to column mapping sharing.
We already did, thank you.