Half Marathon in 2 hours

Tanmay Sharma

Aug 7, 2013, 1:14:26 PM8/7/13
to delhir...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

I need some advice on training for the upcoming Delhi Half marathon. This time I really want to try for a sub 2 hour clock time. My best time so far is 2:30 so I know this will be an uphill task.

I need advice from the running veterans on tips to get to my target. I'm also looking for a daily plan which I can follow for this. I've tried the Hal Higdon plans for some of my earlier Half Marathon attempts and they worked well for me. It would be great if someone could guide me to a web link for this. I did some googling but all plans which I found were either of a much longer duration ( 16 weeks and more) or they assumed that I can already run 7-8 miles with ease.

Looking forward for your inputs. Thanks in advance!!

Tanmay

Dr Rajat Chauhan

Aug 7, 2013, 1:29:26 PM8/7/13
to delhir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tanmay,

Give me some more background. Age, years of running, injuries, medical conditions, weight etc.

In any case, start with strength training as well.

Keep miling and smiling.

Rajat

---
Dr Rajat Chauhan
Sports - Exercise Medicine &
Musculoskeletal Medicine Physician

"There is only one perfect road, and that is ahead of you, always ahead of you." - Sri Chinmoy

Tanmay

Join Delhi Runners online community at delhirunners.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Delhi Runners" group.

Tanmay Sharma

Aug 7, 2013, 10:00:58 PM8/7/13
to delhir...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dr. Rajat,

I should've mentioned these stats earlier.

Age 31yrs
Years of running - About 6 years. Though I ran my first half marathon only in Nov 2009. Clock time 2:40
Injuries - None yet
Weight - 81 kgs

Off late, I've been running about 5 kms in about 35 mins 3-4 times a week on the roads near where I live. I've just started running again after a brief hiatus of a few months.

I've already started doing Push-ups and crunches daily. Do you have any specific strength training exercises in mind which I can do? There are 106 days now to go for my half marathon. I hope this time will be sufficient for me to attain my goal.

Tanmay

Dr Rajat Chauhan

Aug 7, 2013, 10:20:45 PM8/7/13
to delhir...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tanmay,

Sub 2 very possible for you. But work on leg strengthening and tempo runs.

Keep miling & smiling.

Rajat