Delhi Screenings: MY CAMERA AND TSUNAMI

Delhi Film Archive [DFA]

Nov 16, 2011, 10:31:49 PM11/16/11
to delhifil...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,

R V Ramani's film,  MY CAMERA AND TSUNAMI is being screened at the following venues.

1. School of Arts and Aesthetics, JNU on 18th Nov (Fri) at 4.15 pm at SAA Auditorium

2. Sri Aurobindo Centre for Arts and Communication on 22nd Nov (Tue) at 6.30 pm at SACAC Auditorium
followed by discussions with the filmmaker. This is a repeat screening. Details of the film are available at
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=244438272280984&context=create

Enjoy the screenings.

for DFA
Uma Tanuku

Delhi Film Archive [DFA]

Nov 17, 2011, 1:00:22 AM11/17/11
to delhifil...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,

In addition to the screenings at SAA, JNU on 18th and SACAC on 22nd,
there will another screening of the film, MY CAMERA AND TSUNAMI
by R V Ramani on 21st Nov (Mon) at 4.30 pm at the MRC room (2nd floor)
MCRC, Jamia Millia Islamia.

Details about the film, filmmaker and directions to Jamia Millia
follows.

Enjoy the screenings.

for DFA
Uma Tanuku

ABOUT THE FILM:

The filmmaker says: 'On 26th December 2004, when the Tsunami struck the southern coast of India, I was standing there by sheer coincidence. When the huge fascinating wave started forming and rolling towards the shore at a great speed, I started filming it with my camera. My camera was recording when the wave hit me squarely ... As I was rolling under water with the force of the waves, I told myself not to breathe and not to leave my camera which was firmly locked in my right hand palm. I survived, though the camera got completely damaged including the footage. I realized my strong connection with the camera, which saved me from the fear and drowning.

The film is a memory of a camera which perished in the Tsunami, along with its last filmed footage. It shares special moments that the filmmaker experienced with his camera, a special bonding over a period of 4 years, in terms of creating cinematic imagery, relating, exploring, seeking and interpreting notions of his reality, its last recorded footage, an elusive image, evoking multiple possibilities, seeking parallels and new perspectives.

BIODATA OF THE FILMMAKER:
R.V.Ramani, born in Mumbai, 1957, is a graduate in Physics from Mumbai University. He later graduated from the Film and TV Institute of India, Pune, in 1985, with specialization in Motion Picture Photography. In 1989, he moved from Mumbai to Chennai working as a Cinematographer/filmmaker. Today he is one of the leading documentary filmmakers in India, who has established a unique style of his own, making independent impressionistic documentaries, which has found recognition both in India and abroad. He has traveled widely with his films and his films and Retrospectives have been presented in many International Film Festivals.

MY CAMERA AND TSUNAMI

Duration : 90 minutes
Language: English, Tamil, Bengali (Subtitled in English)
Photographed, Edited and Directed by R.V.Ramani
Produced by PSBT

*Selected at Yamagata International Film Festival, 2011.

Directions:
Come past Escorts Heart centre and Holy Family hospital to Jamia University. You will cross the Zakir Hussain Library and Ansari Auditorium. Turn right at a sign board marked AJK Mass Communication Research Centre and Radio Jamia. Enter at the reception and ask for the MRC.